Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think Fillon looks the most french-presidential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I read that with Macron's finance background he's expected to take a hard line against British financial interests in the brexit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Coolguye posted:

holocaust denial is one of those things that mystifies 24/7, but i can at least understand how toolbags like ahmadinejad got there; their culture wasn't directly affected by the nightmare, so it's seductive to smugly go 'well ACTUALLY' and make some poo poo up. how the gently caress can you be french and be a denier though? like did all of those people that got packed into boxcars and hauled off in vichy france just kind of resurface later in austria or switzerland, happy and fat? like what the gently caress this literally happened right in front of your father's eyes and the same government records you rely on to do poo poo on a daily basis attest that there are thousands upon thousands of people who just sort of stopped existing with no explanation. the gently caress do you think happened, man?

How can you be French and be a Vichy like Le Pen?

Many people are just bad.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Sex without french person is like pasta without parmesan.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the french left has a strong anti-american streak

Bunch of ingrates.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Centrism, it's good.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If affluent people were more likely to vote for Macron and poor people more likely to vote for Le Pen, doesn't that mean affluent people tend to be better than poor people?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Feral Integral posted:

no, it means the people with money can gain more money so they will vote the way that gains them more money

So le pen isn't bad?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Feral Integral posted:

nah i mean i don't know where your getting a reason for le pen being bad or good one way or the other. im suggesting to you why people of different financial status who vote for one candidate over the other might be

Oh I always was wondering when i seen your posts - is that a fasces next to your name? How did u get that?

she's bad because she's literally a Vichy, a quisling for the kremlin, etc.

ZDR gave me the fasces and I will always be grateful to him the rest of my days. The state is mankind's greatest invention!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Feral Integral posted:

i mean I guess you guys can be happy about france having the choice between banker and (further) inevitable wealth concentration to the top and a fascist and making the correct decision while the US managed to gently caress even that up. more like capitalism will never die because the alternatives are all worse and everyone's lives will be better when political parties actually serve as the will of the people rather their cadres of rich people

yeah that's pretty sweet, i didn't know the symbols could be changed like that. this forum software really is state of the art

Web 2.0 baby

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baloogan posted:

nuclear bomb is better

Yeah its a tough call. The nuclear bomb is by far the greatest technological invention, the only machine to create peace.

But the state was invented thousands of years ago and all human progress and achievement including nuclear bombs have been made possible by it.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 23:16 on May 7, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bip Roberts posted:

Absolutely, but he might have lost.

Would have lost, most likely. He couldn't beat either macron or le pen in the first round.

You don't fight the far right from the far left, its madness.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're only saying this because you would've endorsed Le Pen if Melenchon had gotten into the second round.

Neither Marine le Pen nor Theresa May need my endorsement to kick the crap out of loony leftists.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That hasn't stopped you from posting about how much you admire Theresa May anyway.

I admire her as a person even if I don't admire her politics. She looks as prime-ministerial as a person possibly can. She's magnificent.

She seems very earnest and hard-working. She spent an almost unprecedentedly long time in one of the most demanding and vitally important roles in the British government, Home Secretary, and parlayed that into leadership of her whole nation.

The fact that she and nigel farage are some of the most effective and influential britons in a generation is not an indictment of them, it is an indictment of britain.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you weren't basically a teenager who thought everyone that disagrees with you about anything is evil, elections wouldn't be about the lesser of two evils anymore.

Adulthood is partly about learning to mold your expectations to the real world and making peace with it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

White Rock posted:

Eh, not impossible. First established left has to finishing stabbing itself in the heart by embracing centrism, then the replacements can come. They just gotta be populists.

Podemos, Bernie, Corbyn and the Five star movement all did / are doing alright in polls.

Bernie "the new ron paul" Sanders got his rear end kicked bad by hillary clinton. Corbyn just presided over one landslide loss and is set to preside over another in June, then either resign in disgrace or destroy the labour party itself.

Meanwhile, in France, centrist politics smashed the far right in a stunning and devastating blow to the mouths that repeat over and over again "centrism can't win."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

bernie is a european centrist and he would've won

We'll see on June 8th.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

this is a really good post but you hosed up with the may one imo

:shrug: I got asked about T.May and that's what I think about her.

Fortunately I'm not British! The politics of the benighted isles are just entertainment and I don't have a stake in it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Agnosticnixie posted:

Reminder that Chirac won with 80% of the vote in 02.

The pandora's box opened by brexit, trump, the irresistible social pressures of the refugee/migrant crisis, years of Kremlin propaganda and meddling, all of it together hardly made a dent in the final accounting.

Vive la France et vive le centre!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

[/b][/i]you seem stupid enough to believe this

I don't get to vote in British elections, I don't have a say in how it goes.

I mean, brexit was a betrayal of the US and britain's other allies, and we ought certainly to blame them for what they did, but we don't get a say in it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

a stunning and devastating blow in which 1/3 of voters chose neither candidate, which surely means le pen and her ideology have been decisively beat back and will in no way reemerge for the next election, no siree

https://twitter.com/USARedOrchestra/status/861363633397403648

i mean i'm glad he won but this doesn't mean right nationalism has been defeated

So right nationalism only got 23%, not 35%? Even better.

Anyway its not fruitful to wring your hands over how many people didn't vote. The people who show up count, and among them, centrism won a great victory today.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the world dont exist for your entertainment

Britain does though. Funny accents and all.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
In all sincerity, if Britain does not exist to amuse Americans, what is it for? Why the accents and all the goofiness?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

reignonyourparade posted:

Some primo revisionism over the fact that what was basically intended as a protest campaign somehow managed to be any inconvenience at all. He might not have won the contest she had a decade long head start on but he clowned all over her best efforts to just Make Him Go Away.

And look what he got for his troubles.

:smugdon:

You're a prince, Bernie!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He's the most popular politician in America now.

That's why I called him the new Ron Paul.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

deadgoon posted:

i'm very impressed with macron's whopping 9-point victory over "none of the above"

That's not how elections work guy.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a shiny plastic leopard print wellington boot stamping on the labour party - forever.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Supposedly with Macron's finance expertise he's going to put the screws hard to british finance / london in the brexit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

exmarx posted:

what a loving freak. look at this.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ya its what they deserve. The british did wrong and deserve to suffer for brexit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rushi posted:

so what eu country do we care about next and when

Britain, one month from today, Lenin-Hat Madman vs Theresa May.

We finally get to see if Bernie Woulda Won.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

That's one way to 'deal with' protesters. At least he leads from the front.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kurtofan posted:

German is better than English

better for losing wars in lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Melanchon: Roughly as cool as will-i-am talking to wolf blitzer

wil.i.am is one of the coolest men in the world.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Macron seems pretty cool to me.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Remember France isnt some boring dismal place like the UK or Germany, it should have someone like Macron.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Arent the french supposed to have a napoleon complex?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Now there's a new lascivious sex thing to name after France, the "French relationship."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

exmarx posted:

insanely normal to describe yourself as imperious and removed, as the leader of a country

Part of the mental disease of postmodernist 'thinking' is abstracting everything too far.

He's not the leader of "a country" he's a leader of France.

When you fix that error in your sentence it begins to make sense, as if by magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jose posted:

Hakimashou do you ever think about just serious posting for a change?

I was being completely serious, and also, I was right.

• Locked thread