Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hmm subtitles out of safe frame,
subtitles that color that shows up good on NTSC, but somehow is projected on an HDTV image
arial font rendering
no dropshadow/box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Bloody posted:

pagancow, tell me about this xb271hu monitor that people keep hootin and hollerin about

hahahah ok lets take a look at this pos

2560x1440
8-bpc IPS like display (AHVA but to human eyes it's basically the same characteristics, but different technology so no patent infringement)
sRGB gamut only (lol)
no backlight flicker (good)
no hardware LUT (though OSD calibration is pretty good, while being oversaturated, so you'll need software LUT to correct your colors.
144hz G-sync (Less than 7 MS response time)
1 full sized DP only

out of box calibration:

lol at $750, you can get hardware LUT monitors for this price, so it's overpriced and you get to look like a tool with red lights on your monitor. There are cheaper gamer trash monitors than this if you really think your game is somehow being hampered by response time instead of your ability to git gud

(aside i whomped yall in quake with a 30ms 60hz display, but the gibs were all correct in color mfers)

edit: this monitor would have been good maybe 4 years ago, but HDR is out now so welp

pagancow fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 15, 2017

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

El Laucha posted:

I've been using a Dell U2412M screen for the past 4-5 years now and its great, but I've been wanting to upgrade to 27-30", or maybe go dual u2412m?

Recommend me a 27" screen with 16:10

most monitors decay past calibratibility after 4 years. CCFL backlights die in 5 years, so have fun.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

those switchable colour spaces sound a fuckin shitload like "modes" 2 me

hardware luts (which is what color spaces are) are calibrated and engineered from the factory to perform to a certain spec so you can get your job done without chasing your tail wondering if your poo poo looked correct

modes on a monitor are just something slapped on to overcome the limitations of the display not being able to even hit sRGB (a standard built for the average 1994 CRT) because poo poo gamer trash poo poo made for gamers who think red lights will make them frag better instead of really understanding that its u, the problem why u cannot get a positive kdr so u just say "i could have gone pro had I just had the acer hu28xi ssync model with the flame stickers on the side with the red trim because thats what fata1ity used and hes worth at least eleventy billion dolalrs since im just right there to sell motherboards with my name on it, they will be called "asrock XxX420ButtToucherXxX420 l337"

but yeah youre right, other than that, no difference.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Salt Fish posted:

As expected the one monitor you won't make fun of is one that hasn't been released yet.

been living in the future for a while now. why can't you?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

4K resolution, also called 4K, refers to a horizontal resolution in the order of 3840 (or 4096) pixels and vertical resolution in the order of 2160 pixels.[1] Several 4K resolutions exist in the fields of digital television and digital cinematography. In the movie projection industry, Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) is the dominant 4K standard. In television and consumer media, 4K UHD or UHD-1 is the dominant 4K standard.

lol thats a lot of words but guess what

Bloody posted:

doesnt have 4000 pixels on either side, it is not 4k

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wide displays are bad, I had to use one unironically for a week straight, and they are just never tall enough, and the extra wideness doesn't really help at all. Most games don't support the extra pixels, and you're throwing away extra GPU time on it since you never look at them.

The Drawing tablet seems iffy at best. There's no hardware LUT and they list absolutely no specs, so lets hope a thing you are supposed to draw on can create a gamma correct greyscale at least otherwise the whole thing is trash.

The drawable Centiques from a few years ago could barely do a proper grey scale, and the gap between screen and drawing was super bad.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

before yall go "pagancow help me with this gimmick trash monitor is it gud?"

1) Search model number + tftcentral. If there is no review, it's either not out yet or not even worth buying
2) If it doesn't have a hardware LUT it's gamer trash stuff you can't rely on.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

fraud spotted, input lag is what gamers care about not response time

There is not a professional monitor shipping with more than 25ms "input lag" right now Part of that calculation is the screen refresh time.

pro monitors have even lower input lag times because they dont have to process the image to make it look good

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

mine is 16ms. which is one frame. You can't get any faster than rendering one frame to the screen after input.

buying a monitor for input delay is dumb because it's always the refresh rate of the display, Input delay is only a thing for consumer trash tvs because they shove modes into it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if u think some chip from samsung or sony can render the video better than the guys hand mastering each frame at ILM.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Salt Fish posted:

1 frame at....60hz lol

didn't have any problems winning at quake and doom with it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

mishaq posted:

i bet you think manual transmissions are more fuel efficient than modern automatics too :smug:

this is a false equivalency since the hand tweaking is like the modern automatic where an engineer hand placed the gear ratios and synchro timings for a specific performance requirement.

now someone color grading a live feed might be a better equivalency but lol who does that except sports?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

RISCy Business posted:

[extremely pagancow voice] my artisanal, hand-mastered frames

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

TVs are another bag of fuckery but

Theres 2 models out there with brightness levels over 1,000 nits for an average scene due to heat dissipation and other EU regulatory stuff like power consumption

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Just keep in mind anything under 1000 nits is not considered HDR, and anything under 650 is not HDR for oled because special reasons

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

OLED in its current form cant achieve any sort of meaningful HDR.

and HDR standard is determined by SMPTE not Dolby

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

just so you know, 8K + HDR would be able to emulate CRT phosphors without a darkening of the image.

get ready for some next level vaporwave poo poo, but people will just like the PQ gamma looking version on their rec.709 displays so lol at everything forever

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

We've been running a lot of them find since the mid-00's. The failure rate is surprisingly low, and its usually the inverter that goes. Bless u, Ultrasharps

Not all caps sold during that time were defective. consider yourself lucky

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Silver Alicorn posted:

well, thanks, I think I'm going to get the vizio at some point. haven't had a real tv in years now

BUT ITS NOT HDR!!!!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

if you actually want to learn things instead of just watching pagancow string professional-sounding buzzwords together this guy is doing a pretty good job
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2812161-what-color-volume.html#post52187897

lol dont click it is actively delivering malware and auto downloading JS files saying "your chrome is out of date!"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Bloody posted:

is this newfangled hdr the same hdr that looks like this:

because hard fuckin' pass if it is

burn this from the earth. its unfortunate they happened to be called the same thing, but HDR displays are nothing to do with tonemapped "HDR" images.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

That's not an ad thats some sort of malware delivery system they probably dont know they are running becuase the users of the site adblock and then they wonder why they are making dad jokes about the prog-rock equivalent of AV equipment instead of just rocking out professional displays from dolby that are water cooled

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also keep on topic, 1,000 nit brightness monitors are going to be a bare minimum for looking at any content in like 2 years, why would you want to buy another monitor in 2 years unless you're buying a burner or something?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Salt Fish posted:

Wait, pagancow do you not run ad block? This is important.

duh, i like websites catering to my needs for free

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

So every game made for this generation already renders HDR internally, To add HDR support to all new games you just have to tonemap your user interface to a normal brightness level and take off the sRGB tone mapping and put it in PQ gamma.

Its like a day's worth of programming, and the rest testing to make it work. Mass Effect Andromeda shipped with HDR support, and a bunch of PS4 games have it already. Major game engines already do HDR rendering, its just a matter of exposing it to the developer and welp now 2 years later you feel dumb not buying an HDR monitor

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Movies full post production pipeline is like 18 months, and most tent-pole films starting from last year already get mastered in HDR, so if you pay for movies you'll have somet hahahahah lol you guys don't pay for stuff

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

just sit on your trashy asus tn panel (or macbook air) forever until the backlight dies and then hopefully you can come into this decade by force when the next ad supported google phone you buy has HDR ads, and you have to pay a dollar to see HDR anything else

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hifi posted:

bloom sucks though

You use less bloom with HDR displays than on non HDR displays since you're trying to simulate something really bright, instead of just making something really bright

echinopsis posted:

real super hdr should mean that there is bright poo poo in the frame and also dark poo poo and in an objective sense all the detail is visible but like in real life the dark poo poo is imperceptible because the bright poo poo is so bright and the dynamic range of your eyeballs is exceeded

but i bet it's nothing good like that

You know how when you look at a person standing inside next to a window and how your eye can see both the person inside and outside, but as soon as you take a picture with your phone you can only see either the face or outside?

HDR displays are like your eyes where you can accurately display the scene like your eye sees it, without any weird local contrast adjustments or the Tonemapped HDR uglyness that was displayed earlier.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yall be like 'duh this thing that is going to be sliced bread 4.0 is gonna be DUMMMMM' and you haven't even seen it, and cannot even see it because you refuse to spend money or walk into a store becuase ads

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

PAGANCOW WANTS YOU TO BELIEVE THAT HDR IS GREAT AND YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS ON IT< BUT ITS JUST BIG MONITOR SPEAKING THROUGH THE "ASTRO TURF" MOUTHPIECE THAT IS KNOWN AS CAPITOLISM...RARRR ADS BAD, ALSO DONT LISTEN TO YOUR DOLBY DIGITAL PROPERLY JUST CRANK THAT poo poo 400 PERCENT, ALSO NEVER EVER BUY A CAMERA THAT CAN SHOOT A HIGHER DYNAMIC RANGE OOPS I FAILED I BOUGHT A SMARTPHONE AARRGGGGGHH BIG MONITOR OUT TO GET ME AGAIN!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

sioled internet is going to occur because web browsers are building their own adblockers in to collect money from people who whitelist.

hope you enjoy installing and patching 4 browsers because argh someone made you want to buy a thing

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hifi posted:

bloom is the same thing as hdr except instead of faking eye damage you actually get eye damage

bloom happens naturally because light difracts inside your eye. Bloom is still needed on HDR10 because you can't have something as bright as the sun on a display.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

i know what you're talking about, i'm saying that i'll be disappointed if hdr tvs have a dynamic range that doesn't exceed what our eyes can deal with

10K nits isn't enough to exceed human vision for DR. Your eyes have an iris that can open and close giving you over 22 stops of dynamic range.

Human vision is around 16-18 stops for a single scene. but it depends on the average light levels

10K nits with PQ gamma curve on 12-bpc is rated for ~14 stops DR, which is what current high end cameras can do without a ton of noise in shadows.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hifi posted:

no thanks. i turn all that poo poo off. if there was a professional standard for motion blur i'd disable that too

More motion blur on a CRT than an LCD due to the gun moving waaaay fast

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

funny, i dont remember microsoft word or premiere pro having motion blur on the UI

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

so what youre saying is that hdr is trash and we're gonna hev to wait for hdr2.0

what im saying is that when TV manufacturers go "BIGGER! BRIGHTER! MORE COLOR!!" then there is a standard everybody is aiming for instead of just having oversaturated demo modes on store displays

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

does nobody read a single thing i put on here?

Average frame brightness doesn't change, its just specular highlights and other impossible exposure scenarios like unlit rooms with windows to sunny daylight outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

400 nits average light level of a display is just STUPID, you better have died in the movie and just woke up from a coma, and are in the jonny ive white room in a horror film for that poo poo to occur.

• Locked thread