Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

I made my monitor 4 inches taller

congrats on rotating your tablet to portrait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

"little-known Japan-based company named Eizo" go gently caress yourself digital trends

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

at computer viewing distances its fine. you need to be like 3 foot away for high dpi to be worth it in the 20"-whatever sizes

well it depends on whats your computer distance. i usually sit so i cant reach the monitor with my arm, and at 100% scaling im comfortable with ~100 ppi. could go a bit higher, but wouldn't want to overdo it. hence, without universal hi-dpi support (which is not my use case), i'd prefer at least 32" screen if its 4k

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

some 32"-37" inch 4k would probably be nice though, given a new computer. would most likely be enough with a single monitor too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the goal on a small 4k is to get a high dpi with insanely crisp text

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at 37" i'm gonna want a lot more than 4k pixels

200 dpi or bust

the goal of a small 4k with windows is to find something that doesn't support hi-dpi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

then your goal is stupid and you should stop
ah, the "you are holding it wrong"
which is why i said im willing to step up in dpi a bit, up to 32" monitor which is a bit under 140 ppi iirc. any more and the physical sizes is getting into "too much" territory for me, but i dont see why i couldnt replace 2x24" with 1x32"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

sometimes you cant move forward in every single direction at once

my new phamracy is good and I like it a lot for a lot of reasns and hope to be there for years

but there is no window or fan in the toilet

why do you need a fan in a toilet tho

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

how does windows deal with dynamic ranges

last i heard it could figure colours out so when gpu manufacturers switch to using windows hdr mechanism in drivers, people began rolling back to older driver versions that worked without window sthing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

how long will it take before hdr monitor prices fall to the point where theyre not much more expensive than their current non-hdr equivalents? are we talking a year or like four or five?

four or five i'd say. atm software developers still havent figured hidpi screens, and hardware manufacturers are still not making actual hdr computer monitors. everyone just tacks on some hdr derivation, like dell with u2518d - it has "dell hdr" that uses narrower colour gamut and like a third of brightness than what hdr10 standard reocmmends

hell, the standards havent been figured out yet, there's at least half a dozen of major competing versions

• Locked thread