Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I have the monitor built in to my 15" MBP and it is very good HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

yeah woe is me only having a dci p3 gamut

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

~Coxy posted:

my current office has a million surplus Compaq 20" monitors with 1680x1050 native res so guess what everyone has on their desks

not sure how exactly; the SOE has been lenobo for years now

if those are the same panels Dell was making their 16:10 20" screens from 10 years ago then they are fairly good

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if it's anything like dell's 43" p4317q its 4 cheap 1080p TN panels fabbed together and the screen size is so big that unless you sit absurdly far back you get severe color distortion around the margins. the only justifiable use of a curved screen and they aren't using it.

with that said, they are great for SCADA/HMI environments or callcenter/dispatch purposes where you just need to throw a lot of info at the person all at once

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

FYI I am pretty sure most of the non-U Dell models at this point are 6-bit panels with dithering. Helps with ghosting and is probably a good compromise if you're doing home office + games stuff but I'd avoid it for graphics work. You can see it on my older screen if you look really closely but overall not too bad.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

1:1 aspect monitor fan spotted

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

were the older 900mhz phones in the same frequency band as some cellphones? I remember those having excellent range and wall penetration but tons of interference problems

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

most monitors decay past calibratibility after 4 years. CCFL backlights die in 5 years, so have fun.

We've been running a lot of them find since the mid-00's. The failure rate is surprisingly low, and its usually the inverter that goes. Bless u, Ultrasharps

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Optiplex GX260/270's that they came with have long since exploded with delicious cap goo. I had a guy in our HVAC shop claim the new AV version rollout was crashing his systems but it turned out that they idled at 0% CPU load and every single voltage regular cap on them had blown so a windows installer package was enough CPU load to kill them.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

that's an extended gamut panel and using it with videocard/software that doesn't support it will probably look like rear end

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is that a 27"? kinda not sold on sub-35" 4ks

at computer viewing distances its fine. you need to be like 3 foot away for high dpi to be worth it in the 20"-whatever sizes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

this is in one of the rooms here

it's amazing

hahahahaha there is no loving way you can tell the difference between 4k and 1080 at standard viewing distances on that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

pretty much anything today can do 4k desktop stuff so long as it has displayport or hdmi 1.3

older hdmi puts you at 30hz which is shiiiiiiit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

1.4, mixed it up in my head

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4

• Locked thread