Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
This was a case where I wouldn't have voted for myself and just kept playing. It's not a real victory until everyone is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Thotimx posted:

I find it amusing that even when you win in the Council, it still gives you the choice to say NO when asked if you accept the ruling. You can actually go to war with the rest of the Council that just voted you in as High Master. It would be incredibly stupid, but you can do it.

Sometimes the galaxy votes you as ruler even when you yourself vote for the other guy. It is still a lot of fun to fight the entire galaxy at once. I have a great bio-terminator strategy I like to use in that case, but I'll hold off for now hoping that one day we might see it in this LP.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Makes me sad that the official sequel is apparently so stripped down and simplified (haven't bought it though, so...).

Are you talking poo poo about MOO2 because we're about to have a problem. MOO2 is not in the slightest stripped down or simplified.

MOO3 through...

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Now can we solve the mystery of why this is a "Le'ts play" instead of a "Let's play"? :D

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Are you OK with us posting our strategies to win this, or future conflicts? Late game like this I've found a solution that wins most of the time.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Thotimx posted:

Sure, have at it! I won't guarantee that I'll use it this time, but it'll be a few days before the next update most likely, so this is a good time for such things.

OK, so it's close to late game, and you have a very powerful enemy (Psilons) to deal with. The solution? BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS. They're nearly broken in this game. Start off by getting Bio-Terminator (every time it came up I was hoping you would research it). Then design a large ship with either:

-lots of shielding, armor, missile shields (like the Zyro shield), engines, and inertial modifiers so that you can get to the planet in one move.
OR
-sub space teleporter, and basic/non-existant stuff for everything else like armor, engines and shields.

Then stuff that ship full of bio-terminators. Use espionage to see what level of antidote the enemy has. Do some math to figure out how many bio drops are needed from this one ship to kill everyone on a planet. The answer is usually 'one'. Important and large targets (like Mentar) might need 3 drops to kill everyone. Assume that every ship is only good for one bio drop before being destroyed, and build enough ships to wipe out every. single. planet. at the same time. It's obviously useful to be at peace with the people you plan on genociding (like in your current game), to give you time to do this, and set it up so that every ship reaches every enemy planet simultaneously.

Now for the attack! If you have the sub space teleporter, you go first, drop your bioweapons, killing everyone in one attack, and attempt to retreat. If you have to move to the planet conventionally, you're going to eat a facefull of missiles, hopefully survive to drop your bioweapons, and then try to retreat. If you pull it off and hit every planet at once, then the enemy empire evaporates. All their missile bases, gone. Their entire fleet, gone, and irrelevant during the attack. You hopefully have a few ships that survived the attack, which are now parked over an empty world. Use those guys to start murdering the smaller races. The diplomatic penalty doesn't matter because nothing can survive or stop your wrath.

Even if they expand or capture a planet during your setup phase, their empire is crippled and should be easy to bio-bomb any surviving planets. The key is doing as much damage on one turn as possible so they can't try to rebuild destroyed worlds as you move on to the next.

I was really disappointed with the bio-weapon nerf in MOO2 preventing this tactic from working in that game. Bioweapons are a chance to kill there, and not a very good one at that. Also Planetary Barrier Shields block bioweapon attacks.

As a side note, I really enjoyed the Babylon 5 movie "A Call To Arms".

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Mzbundifund posted:

What's the math exactly? I don't know how bioweapons work in this weird old game.

One unit of Death Spores, Doom Virus and Bio Terminators kill 1,2 and 3 population units respectively per attack. Bio Toxin Antidote and Universal Antidote reduce those numbers by 1 and 2 respectively. For example, to kill a 100 population planet you'll need 34 bio-terminators if they have no protection, 50 if they have the first bio-antidote, or 100 if they have universal antidote (which they almost always do). IIRC you can cram like 30-40 bio-terminators on a large ship at around this tech level, so you'd probably need 3 ships to kill this 100 population planet in one attack.

I think the developer intention was to have a modest number of bioweapons on a ship that were used many times in combat to slowly whittle down a population in advance of a ground combat fleet. My strategy just takes it to its logical conclusion. If the enemy fleet is powerful, you don't have the luxury of using multiple attacks during combat, it needs to be as much damage done as possible at once.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Mzbundifund posted:

That's incredible. So I guess the anti-missile defenses are because you're guaranteed to eat at least one volley of planetary missiles (maybe more from defending ships) on your approach to the planet? Does the AI ever develop ships fast enough to close on you with beams during their one action?

If you have the teleporter, you don't eat any missiles, but otherwise yes, they usually get one shot of missiles off on you that you have to survive. One attack from enemy beams aren't ever much of a concern to a large ship even if that does happen, which is rare. The worst thing they can do is have the repulsor beam and arrange in such a way that you can't physically reach the planet, but that's only if they go first.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

BurningStone posted:

Spies aren't very effective, even the Darlok ones.

The alliance in this game doesn't bother me. It's when the AIs make them so fast they must have come shortly after first contact, something I've never been able to do.

Spying is a lot more viable in this game as compared to MOO2, but it's still not great. With no relations to worry about though, there should be some espionage going on now if we have any hope of winning.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
So what are some of the methods to deal with bugged stacks? The only ones I can think of are the Ion or Neutron Stream Projectors. For those who don't know, those weapons do a a percentage amount of damage (20% and 40%) to every ship in a stack, rounded up. Since it's a percentage of current hit points, it can take a while, but it will blow up 32k ships eventually.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Thotimx posted:

Also, I have played through the opening on the next game, and reached a point where I think it'd be useful to get feedback on what to do next. So look forward to that coming soon.

My vote, free of any context and preconceived notions, is to invest in biological weaponry.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
If enemy ships can move 2 squares in a move, and have a weapon range of 2 squares, maaaaaaaaaybe stop ending your turn 4 squares away from them? You're killing me here (and your own ships needlessly).

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Meanwhile, the wind gently whispers...

...Guava plan...

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

my dad posted:

I'm not sure if the combat transports work quite as they're described. I've seen whole transport fleets go poof on strongly defended enemy worlds despite the tech.

If a planet is that heavily defended, what good will capturing it even do? You'll just get bombed into oblivion by the orbiting fleet anyway.

I loved the spite move of blowing up the enemy colony ships when it was obvious you were going to lose.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Mzbundifund posted:

Looks like you got hit by the Guava strategy. :negative:

No, that strategy would be infecting all the meklar colonies simultaneously. It's more effective and efficient that way!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
"I've never seen the ameoba AND the crystal attack the player simultaneously", he said with hope in his eyes...

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
This is weird then - I always built the biggest ship available and never bother with smaller ones. You win a lot of fights by attrition that way since it takes a lot of production to build a few cruisers, but nothing to repair a 90% damaged large ship. Most games I have no fleet at all until I suddenly have the biggest, meanest ship in the galaxy.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

General Revil posted:

Men, women, children, newborns, it doesn't matter everyone gets a gun and fights to the death.

That's optimistic. I'm not sure we've researched guns yet in this game.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

man there's a lot of bad games out there where the line is "oh just install these half-dozen fan patches and it's great!" but "also you have to learn german" is a new one

Boy, do I have have some submarine simulator games to show you!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
In all seriousness, he just has to hold on a little bit longer to go full Guava. There are a few key techs needed, but this is totally a point where you need to consider either that, or an Orion play.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

PurpleXVI posted:

Does using bio weapons ruin your diplomatic rep like genocide does? I seem to remember it did in MOO2.

Yes, but if you pull it off against a race, it doesn't matter if everyone hates you because they will all soon be dead.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I betcha the Bulrathi would trade Bio Terminator for Advanced Construction Tech VI...

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Just give Smurch Death Ray for Bio Terminator. What is he going to do, death ray us? :)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Dong Quixote posted:

That might have been the greatest game of MOO ever played, Thotimx

Pretty much this. I've never seen such an equally matched end game like that before. I have seen the Guava Plan before, and yup, that's exactly what it looks like. It's a lot of fun to pull off against doomstacks defending a planet though.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

idhrendur posted:

Mrrshan
Bulrathi
Darloks

This. Having Darloks last will be a nice finale.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Of course I'm still here hoping you wipe out the someone with a doom virus.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Decoy Badger posted:

War only if there's mass sneak attack biological warfare.

I've been waiting over a year for this, man.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Thotimx posted:

But … I did it with the Sakkra. Does that not count for some reason? Another problem with the biowarfare thing is that it's a super-late-game thing by nature(because you need BioTerminators and you need them to be quite miniaturized in order to make it happen). Other than computing, we're at mid-game tech here.

I got a thing going on here, facts be damned. :) Murder everyone!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Corbeau posted:

I'm very interested in seeing Ground Control because I've never played it and I'd like to be able to compare with my favorite RTT games, the Myth series (hi Guava, no I'm still not LPing Myth 2).

Hi.

Looking back at the gaming peak of the late 90s, I remember the best being the X games - X-COM, Xeen and X-Wing. All LPs I've done or have done. Then it was MOO and Myth terms of time spent, so I'd be ok with MOO 2 or Ground Control because MOO2 is awesome and GC for the reason Corbeau said.

Oh yeah and Ultima 6 was pretty sweet too.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO GUAVINATION

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I recall, the Guava Protocol (tm) involved massive simultaneous strikes on every enemy planet in a large area, to strand enemy fleets far enough from their planets that they're considered outside of valid supply lines and are automatically scrapped. Obviously that's not a big deal in this case as the fleets you're facing are pretty piddly; I do have to wonder how important it was in the original formulation though. Surely building up that large of a fleet force before making your attack means the attack must be substantially more expensive to launch, compared to taking planets one or two at a time?

Are you asking me? It's usually a lot cheaper to build a fleet to kill every living being than it is to try to whittle down a doomstack, or bomb away a mass of missile bases. Taking planets one or two at a time invites counterattacks. The species you're guavinating could potentially even be an ally until the last minute where you kill them all.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Thotimx posted:

One thing I didn't properly consider with the Guavinator which will require me to make more of them; I can't just take out the missile base first in combat such as at Trax, because then the combat round ends. I don't know if I can do the bombard mechanic with just biologicals; I'll need to investigate that later.

Yeah I'm glad you figured that out. You have much finer control of a planet's population from the main battle screen. The bombard screen has a tendency to massively overkill colonies when bio weapons are involved. I honestly don't know much about the fine details of bio attacks, so please keep experimenting!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
How much of a setback would it be if an amoeba or a crystal wandered into the galaxy right now, knock on wood? How would that fight go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I've kind of noticed this problem too in my games, so let's theorycraft. It's certainly the case that when you take over a planet that's been attacked with bioweapons, you have a lot of waste to clean up. I have three ideas:

-Is this waste caused by the bioweapons themselves?
-Or maybe the excess factories are somehow still working and polluting without providing actual production?
-Either way, maybe the AI just doesn't know how to handle having waste around above what factories should produce, doesn't clean it up, and that's making it worse the next year?

But then of course Nordia isn't showing any waste. My money is to believe that that is a mistake.