Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

OAquinas posted:

It's a 4x game--so of course!

There are so many reasons the AI will declare war on you, from expanding too close to their borders, to you being framed for espionage, to you being too strong(!), it being a tuesday. Seriously--I might be thinking of a different game but I think the AI spends the start of each turn spinning a RNG to decide how it will regard you.

That is certainly how Master of Magic worked: Reiska gave a summary in nweismuller's MoM LP. You can see Orion's bones in the mechanics feeding in, but I don't know how much was new for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Cythereal posted:

I'm not a fan of psilons in this series in general. The lifeblood of just about every 4X game is science, and I've never seen a 4X race/faction whose hat is being much better at science than everyone not being the best race in the game or very close to it barring weird overpowered special factions.

I don't disagree in general, but I can think of two exceptions offhand:

• My understanding is that MoO2 strategy ultimately decided that the Psilon-like build was not actually the most competitive one, with Tolerant/Unification and Democracy/Lithovore races both significantly outperforming Creative builds. That could be qualified as "weird overpowered special factions" but the Tolerant and Lithovore traits actually cost more than Creative does, which makes it feel more like "alternate focus of race design points".
  • I used to play a lot of the old Windows 3.1 space 4X Stars! and in that one production was absolutely king. From a modern standpoint it had made the unfortunate decision of allowing more than one tech advance per turn, and the end result was that a sufficiently monstrous production ramp could celebrate its completion of its industrialization phase by clearing out the entire tech tree in three turns... and "sufficiently monstrous" was, by the end, about the midpoint of actual competitive builds' capabilities.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

PurpleXVI posted:

I think diplomatic victories were always one of my less favourite parts of MoO and MoO2, because, comparatively, they always feel like such an anticlimax. And, as seen here, it's almost never the result of some sort of major diplomatic campaign intended to win you the throne, but usually more of a surprise as your major remaining enemy makes themselves super unpopular somehow.

In this case, I choose to interpret it as the Galaxy being so terrified by the potential devastation of a full-scale Psilon-Silicoid war that they hand the Galaxy to the more populous empire. :D This one looked more like "hitting a tipping point" than I'm used to them looking like.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Dang. Well done. I was not expecting you to be able to pull that out, but there it is.

Silicoids was always my favorite race back in the day, so I'll look forward to this next run!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've played this game off and on since the 90s and I have never seen that happen :psyduck:

Even in abject failure you're still showing me bits of the game I have never seen. Can you do that to other empires?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Be the Meklar next if and only if they deign to show themselves in the Human run.

Show yourselves, robots. Don't make us come over there.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
300 years into the game, the Silicoids use Gatling Laser technology to provide the light shows for their diplomatic events and parties. They licensed it to you for free after they got over their shock that Humans never worked that trick out.

Harmless at parties, of course, but the military application is immediate and direct.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
:drat:

Not what you expect from a Human game. Congrats on an exciting victory.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
re: robot plagues: aren't the Meklar fragile organic beings wearing power armor? Maybe their immune systems are awful.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Thotimx posted:

With our ships about to arrive at Escalon, nobody else is there, but a bunch of Darloks are incoming. If we beat them, I'll destroy the colony, leaving the Darloks to starve, and then re-settle it. This is a particularly cold and dastardly plan, which if successful will have us intentionally dooming 52 million citizens of an empire we have no quarrel with. But you know, they sent transports without a fleet in place, and in the end there can be only one.

I wouldn't feel too bad about this given that the Darlok plan was to send 52 million of their citizens with no spare food or power and no way of extracting them from a planet beyond taking the inhabitants' pre-existing infrastructure.

Thotimx posted:

Not that you aren't 100% correct in it being a horrific matter regardless(wiping out the entire adult population, instead of, you know, subduing the major installations or co-opting them a la Stellaris).

Or, indeed, every MOO after this one. Something about MOO1 means that different sentient species cannot coexist even if their usable ecosystems should have zero overlap.

Thotimx posted:

We had uh, Titanium Combat Armor. Not even a slingshot to spread amongst the lot of 'em.

And by "Titanium Combat Armor" we mean our average Meklar's walking-around-town exoskeleton.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
And while we're at it, you were in second place and at maximum relations and an alliance with the guy that did win. Random supernovae and plagues aside, the future of the Meklar as a species looks pretty good.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Libluini posted:

And now imagine how bad Imperium has to be for me to go "gently caress this, I'm out". :v:

I kind of liked that one of the side comments was "and the German will make more sense if you're familiar with a specific series of old German pulp SF adventures".

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It's been said many times, many ways, throughout this run, but it bears reiterating: :suspense:

I don't think I've ever seen a remotely fair fight this high up the tech tree.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Thotimx posted:

You are not wrong, other than needing to be slapped for that phraseology.

Sorry about that, and I'm not sure I even said what I was trying to say. Let me try again:

This is the first time I've seen a fight with top-tech ships that seemed evenly matched. It's always been "only one side can do damage even in principle."

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Simply Simon posted:

- Quote From Man Death Ray'd

"I never thought bears would Death Ray my face," says Sakkra who voted for the Bears Death Raying Dinosaur Faces Party.

I'm hoping for a slightly different kind of unpunished hubris, myself.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Omobono posted:

I still say you should have kept the council around for maximum middle finger

The thing I was in fact hoping for was voting himself Ruler of the Galaxy and then refusing to accept the ruling because there must be glorious crushings, yes.

I am still in maximum :unsmigghh: mode though, yes.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Congratulations on an amazing slog and an incredibly implausible victory.

It occurs to me that the Sakkra in fact have the counter to Bulrathi superior ground combat: an endless supply of enraged dinosaurs.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Thotimx posted:

Here is my ode to Guava, although I hope to use this idea sometime in the future when it actually of strategic use, rather than a 'which way do I want to win' consideration. The Smurchbane, with 300 BioTerminators, has tons of space left over, a double hull just for the fun of it, and Subspace Teleporters to move in immediately(I upgraded to the Nullier instead of Stabilizer after taking this shot). In a single drop, it can exterminate all carbon-based life from any planet in the galaxy, regardless of size.

Sauron brings new meaning to the term 'ruthless tyrant'. By the way, I didn't understand at first why the Subspace Teleporter worked sometimes and not others. Turns out the Bulrathi have Subspace Interdictors, so some of the ships can prevent me from using it. If it'd been just a little bit slower, torpedoes would have gotten me on the way in to one of the planets.

I think it's actually the missile bases that end up having the Interdictors installed. That means the Guava Plan all but mandates very fast ships. Otherwise any planet worth Guava'ing will also block your teleporters.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A planet for cat people should obviously be named Box.

I have no opinion on order (not even enough to make a formal IDGAF vote) but Boxes for the Cats.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Birds and bats can face off, guano-a-guano, at any time.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Congrats on the win! I'm also curious about what the Alkari's bonuses ultimately accomplished here, if anything.

... and the trooper's shiny armor is clearly there to reflect laser weapons. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Human Spies have captured a prototype of Mrrshan Battle Armor:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Man, I'd forgotten what a fast start looked like after the past few.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I hear there are shiny things! :swoon:

More seriously, I don't feel like I have a good sense of what an early Orion play looks like on Impossible.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It is only appropriate that Nermal does not genocide the Galaxy; if there are only kittens, who will pet the kittens and open the cans of wet food?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Something about the way the silly tactical sunglasses miss with the giant bear snout just makes the whole thing completely hilarious. Maybe their ground combat bonus is that all other species are blinded by the glare of the sun!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Decoy Badger posted:

Congratulations! It's like you were given the win on a platter compared to the last few attempts!

How to tell you're playing on "Impossible" mode: when losing your homeworld to a ground invasion as the Bulrathi in which multiple techs useful to ground combat are stolen still counts as being given the win on a platter.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

PurpleXVI posted:

For some reason the "without sanction" part of the assassination event always gets to me, like it's a galaxy where it's entirely plausible that the diplomat would be sanctioned to go duel the enemy emperor.

I could believe it for the Bulrathis or the Mrrshan, really.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Well done, and congrats on a long journey completed in style.

As for the update: I'm happy to see the Darlok troopers. They're probably my favorite tech NPC - sure, we're a spacefaring civilization and all but that's not going to stop us from keeping our glowing rune swords.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
IT BEGINS. I'm looking forward to seeing how unbalanced this becomes.

As for votes: Ground Control and Homeworld, because I've never really gotten the hang of the entire RTS genre and these are two well-regarded instances of it that are off the beaten path for genre expectations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Decoy Badger posted:

Seems like Final War might as well be started by now, it would save some tedious waiting at the galactic councils.

In Final War everyone else shares tech, right? That means the Bulrathi would get the Psilons' extensive ground combat technology, which would be super-obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Congratulations. You have made MoO beg for mercy in all possible metaphorical meanings of the term.