Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Is there any potential advantage in beating up on the birdbrains while they're still isolated? Is the military buildup necessary just not worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Looks like it's all over but for the yowling.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What would be a viable high-risk strategy to end this right now? Massive bribes prior to a final vote? The Guava plan?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Congratulatons on the victory! I like to think that the player race is a bunch of descendents of The Cat from Red Dwarf.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
At this point, could genociding the Mrrshan be worth it? You get the genocide penalty but their allies won't hate you for being at war with their ally anymore.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Time to bear down on those kitties!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It seems like the majority of the losses were due to unlucky planet generation/race placement rather than bonuses given to the NPC races. Is that true at lower difficulty levels as well?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The combination of erratic behaviour and spite-based behaviour seems to form a system with self-organizing criticality - too many xenophobes and the galaxy can turn on you in an instant. Can be interesting to play, but with the election mechanics seems to effectively be a "gently caress you, you lose" RNG roll.

I think a rule where xenophobes cannot vote for someone if they voted against them in the last election might help prevent that sort of loss, but early Human wins seem to rely on that.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Congratulations! It's like you were given the win on a platter compared to the last few attempts!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
That espionage-bribe cycle is hilarious. And I suppose you can continue it with the humans too once you get into contact with them!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Bribery! But pilfer the secrets of Orion first! War only if there's mass sneak attack biological warfare.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
This has definitely been one of the calmest games so far. Everyone's happy as long as the tech keeps flowing in I guess.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Thanks for the LP showing off this classic!

My suggestion would be a really obscure strategy title, the Battleship RTS by Hasbro from 1997:

https://youtu.be/Rbaa_Saz9KU?t=1360

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Almost enough (if the other AIs are just as territory-starved) for an auto-victory via election! This is going to be one hell of a beat-down.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It's pretty amazing that you're still in the land-grab phase, but it's really bothering me that you didn't start the planet numbering with Matrix 100.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Wonder how the game would change if population transfers cost anything (like 1 BC/pop) or required additional upkeep while in transit - keeping planets at the growth sweet spot probably wouldn't be as viable anymore.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Hopefully you're past a veto share by now, if you isolate everyone and they hate you for being too big it seems like a good way to lose in the galactic election (not that a loss would even matter by this point).

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Considering how isolated all the enemies are, is it worth espionaging the hell out of them to rebel or steal techs from the Psilons? I get that the focus is currently on expansion (amazingly) but maybe eventually it'll become the cheapest way to get new stuff.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Have you noticed any improvement in play from documenting it in such detail? It seems to be a common effect of 4x LPs - at the least, having discovered new mechanics will probably help if you ever come back to MOO again.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I feel like you're at the point where the cost of building missile bases surrounding one of these enemies outweighs whatever cost the genocide penalty would inflict. It's like they're frozen in time compared to the Borg.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
How is the planet list sorted and is it sortable? It always seems nigh-random in those screenshots - maybe it's by distance?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The Collective readies for war! Too bad the battles won't be as epic as the build-up has been, considering how inferior everyone else is.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The year-at-a-time updates really give that impending invasion some real tension. Too bad you don't have a supermajority in the Council to start Final War yet.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What tech level are Orion's goodies, in comparison?

I wonder how much the map can be manipulated to support a speedrun - presumably there's some sort of seed that can be changed via emulator memory editing. Small galaxy, honorable diplomats and all artifact planets maybe.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Gotta love that weeks-long invasion (in real time) resolving into an utterly anticlimactic 24-4 beatdown.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
By "assimilate" I assume we mean "steal their tech and turn everyone into food pellets," since there definitely aren't any Psilons left on there. Can Rigel be renamed to a matrix number if captured instead of destroyed and resettled?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
With most of the galaxy already arrayed against them, do the Borg care about the genocide diplomacy hit? Time for the guava plan!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What purpose are the Nuc Recons still serving? Just picketing Borg worlds too small or distant to justify cruisers? The number of Recons hasn't dropped even years after the entire galaxy was reconnoitered. I guess they're cheap as hell to maintain but it's still a ship slot being used up for a museum piece.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Looks like there's enough drone population to overwhelm the rest of the galaxy through an all-in invasion gambit, if you stop caring about research/production - is slow transport speed the only thing making this infeasible?

Except for a Bulrathi early aggression run, this game seems to favour very macro-intensive strategies rather than all-ins or other high-risk strategies. I guess that's an artifact of having RNG rolls for everything.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Presumably if Thotimx triggered Final War the war situation would be more interesting. Though it looks like we're going to see a drastic shortening of the front lines in short order.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Congratulations on the first successful full assimilation!

Maybe keeping the Guavinators in orbit after they initially bombarded has the game treat them as if they were still bombarding the next turn? Something like a bombardment flag not being reset between turns if you don't change the fleet composition in orbit?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Seems like Final War might as well be started by now, it would save some tedious waiting at the galactic councils.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
No more cats and no more humans, RIP the space-internet.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
That map is looking like a laser show!

Is it possible to edit the save file to change the captured planets to proper Matrix 1xx numbers?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I'm excited to see the Guardian take on tens of thousands of these Daggers. It'll be like playing a reverse shmup!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I like the idea of a planet so Borgified/glitched that it turns into some sort of black hole. Ships come out every year, but no messages are returned. Are they fleeing? We do not know. The Borg do not ask questions.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Seconding the request to upload your savegame. I'm guessing there was some sort of integer overflow, would be a shame to not have the final showdown after all this time!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I poked around, and I got it working again (in 1oom, mind you) - turns out that Thotimx overflowed the "fleet enroute" table (max 260 fleets en route), which then wrote garbage data to the rest of the save. Since Matrix168 and 170 are the first entries in the savefile, they got wiped out and crashed the game when it tried to load them.

Switching to Daggers which most planets can produce every year certainly didn't help - turns out that producing countless numbers of something is definitely possible if you're the Borg.

I've repaired the savegame (I think), and it seems that a workaround is to not have your planets send a fleet every year but instead wait for the previous sent fleet to get half-way before sending another.

If you're interested in continuing the fixed file is here, otherwise I can attempt to finish the game myself and report back, or do nothing at all - I'll respect your decision.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Fleets enroute does not include fleets in orbit - that is in a separate table.

I only fixed the planet table, the fleets table is still untouched as I was unsure what to remove - so I would heavily recommend converting and running the save in 1oom which has more robust error handling than stock MOO.

Playing on, there are definitely weird, but not gamebreaking, things still happening from the previous corruption like a 500-population Psilon transport fleet fleeing the galaxy - though a mass exodus to avoid the Borg is still pretty fitting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What happened to the Borg left behind?
We were left with a universe so crowded and corrupted that several stars had turned into giant floating Blue Screens of Death. The fleets enroute table had overflowed, causing planet data to be overwritten - and causing the star graphics to attempt to look up out-of-bounds memory instead of standard stars. This was causing the planet selection-induced crashes. Wiping out planet names, types and production information was causing turn-processing-induced crashes. Nevertheless, the Borg persevered, and with some hasty galactic duct-taping the stars were corralled back into their proper positions.

After all the interstellar dust had settled, this is what the Borg were confronted with:

500 population of Borg high above the ecliptic, burning hard for escape velocity to another galaxy. All shall be assimilated.

All ship transfers are halted, as ships keep phasing out of reality and attempting to assimilate stars while underway. This doesn't stop the Psilons from harassing Zoctan.

8 planets remain to be assimilated. Three have invasions en route.

The last time that we will see this sight for a while.

The Borg reach Phyco. The Borg take almost 2:1 casualties, but showed up at a 4:1 rate. Goodbye Bulrathi.

Relations with the remaining two empires have somehow improved to Wary. 7 planets remain.

With no ship relocation allowed, Matrix 118 gets bombarded by a Psilon fleet. The damage is inconsequential.

The number of fleets enroute has fallen enough that ships can be relocated again. Accumulated planetary fleets are rerouted to occupy the remaining unassimilated planets.

A hard defensive battle occurs at Matrix 137. The Rangers are completely useless at ship battle, and instead we lose 90% of the ~100 Daggers present there while annihilating the enemy. The Rangers do much better in orbit at Meklon where they accidentally scour the planet entirely of life. We will assimilate what remains.

A much easier battle occurs at Crius as the Borg assimilate the planets. Unfortunately the Psilons hold out at Gienah, with only 2 remaining to confront the reinforcement wave of Borg. 6 planets remain.

With all unassimilated planets now reduced to rump populations, they find themselves easy prey to arriving Borg. Gorra falls. The Psilons and Meklar sue for peace. The Borg do not respond. 5 planets remain.

Psilon civilian fleets attempt to flee the spores raining down on their devastated cities. They find only Borg awaiting them. Bootis and Gienah fall, and with it, the Psilon empire. 3 planets remain.

The Guavinators are scrapped, there not being enough enemy biomass to make them worthwhile. In a final desperate act, the Meklar fleet rushes Borg pickets. The Meklar fleet is reduced to one last starfighter.

Meklon is assimilated as Matrix 174. 2 planets remain. Orion is next.

The Borg move to assimilate Orion. The Guardian responds.

I actually considered building up enough ships (~32,000) to trigger an integer overflow and face off with a game-crashing antiship fleet, but this playthrough is already silly enough.

As predicted, the Guardian alpha-strikes the Daggers, packed so densely they seem to act as armour for each other against the Guardian's missiles.

But the Borg close in and begin inflicting their own damage. The useless Rangers are just along for the ride.

Once the Daggers come into firing range, the Guardian practically evaporates. 1,452 ships died in the assault - by far more than the rest of the Borg campaign of assimilation, but not by much.

Orion is assimilated and the secrets of the death ray gained. All remaining fleets are recycled as they instantly become obsolete. One planet remains.

????
Unable to comprehend the fundamentals of radiated landings, the Borg evaporate the remaining Meklar and ionically sort their component elements into neat pyramids. The galaxy is Borg.

Thank you Thotimx for making this LP! This little playthrough was actually the first time I've ever played MOO1, and the excellent guidance provided by the LP really helped with getting everything underway!