Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Can you break down the trade again? I had always thought that if you upped a 300 BC deal to a 325 BC deal that you started over in terms of making a profit, so that you should never increase a deal unless you could basically double the amount of trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thotimx posted:

Sure. Trade starts at -30% of the deal amount and increases by 0-5% per year. That means on average it will take about 50 years or a little more to max out with no changes being made. When you re-up a deal though, you do not start over. The % return is the average of -30% and what your current return is. So for a specific example; say there's 100 BC on the deal and you are at 50% return(50 BC per year). If you add 25BC to it, the new deal with 125BC at a 10% return(50% + -30% divided by 2). So you're down to 13BC but still maintaining a profit -- you don't go back down to -30% on the full amount. .

That would explain the advice I had seen to never increase unless you can double.

Taking your 100 BC and 50% return - since you're always going to be averaging -30% and 50%, you'd take an extra hit over the real weighted average unless you double the trade amount (you of course take less than an extra hit if you increase more than double, but at double is when you get the real average).

I take your point about the relations effect though.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 9, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

Are you talking poo poo about MOO2 because we're about to have a problem. MOO2 is not in the slightest stripped down or simplified.

MOO3 through...

I think you can go ahead and have a problem, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about the recent game launched under the name "Master of Orion" which is basically MOO2 with updated graphics.

Also game breaking balance changes in patches.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

My only issue with MoO2 is that I've never been able to make it run stably since Win 98. :v:

DOSBOX my man.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

This LP got me playing the original again and drat if it isn't still my favorite 4x. I just had a Klackon game go south when the Psilons backstabbed me, and I ain't even mad. I just wish there was a way to speed up dosbox a little...

Ctrl+F12 to give dosbox more CPU cycles.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

looks like that's how it works in NuMoo too:

NuMoo is basically Moo2 with graphical updates.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Kitty no spell good but is still super nice.

I'm waiting for Thotimx to research Armored Exoskeleton to post the Mad Cat pics.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ulmont posted:

I'm waiting for Thotimx to research Armored Exoskeleton to post the Mad Cat pics.

Or steal, whatever.

Mrrshan Armored Exoskeleton:

Original: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timber_Wolf_(Mad_Cat)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kurieg posted:

WHAT IS A...er...man?...woman?.......cat? Throw me a bone here please.

A miserable little pile of hairballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Omobono posted:

Is the spoiler a thing in this game? I don't really recall it; then again, last time I played Original MoO was a long time ago.

It’s in this game but it works completely differently and not like the spoiler would imply at all.