Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Oh, did I play a lot of this. Probably still have it around somewhere. Looks like you may be able to win this in the initial expansion if you can grab all those great planets.

Going back to the previous game, it wasn't the message written badly. The leader name Zygot has an extra space at the end. Always annoyed me, so I had to edit it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I've taken Orion, but I've never seen it matter. By the time I defeat it and get the planet up to speed, the game is effectively over.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I was inspired to try this again, and I lost a game exactly the same way, except it was on the first vote. Oh well.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Getting down to crunch time. I think you've got this, but it's close.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks to your example, I've run off a string of wins on impossible, winning with all the good races. Though my current Bulrathi game is looking shaky....

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Yes, especially as you usually can't do anything about the pirates because they're half the galaxy sway.

I think your position is pretty good, as long as the AI doesn't start dragging you into wars. How do the Klakons like you when you have so many planets? I always wonder if it's worth settling those little planets, but I always do, because I'm greedy.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
And this is how I usually lose. I'm not very good at diplomacy, and I'm not even sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's so tilted against the player than you're fighting uphill all the time.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Spies aren't very effective, even the Darlok ones.

The alliance in this game doesn't bother me. It's when the AIs make them so fast they must have come shortly after first contact, something I've never been able to do.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I'm impressed that you're still forcing yourself through this. I always quit rather than face the final war. It's such a grind

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I don’t see how you win this one without an amazing diplomatic coup. Maybe try to get out of all your wars then throw everything into research and building up your economy, while hoping the other races stalemate each other?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I’m stunned you’re still second in population when your planet count is so low. Or maybe it’s bounced back; you’re gaining and losing colonies at a crazy pace.

Sometimes it feels like the AIs all sing of peace and harmony together. This is not one of those games. If you could step back from the fray, I think you can pull this out.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
In retrospect, it seems blindingly obvious to attack the weakest opponent instead of grinding against the strongest. Would have required flipping the diplomatic situation, so easier said than done. But yea, you’ve got a clear plan to win.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Quite a brawl there.

Thotimx, I've noticed two consistent differences in our combat styles (which are probably related). First, I don't build nearly as many missile bases as you; really only on planets that the AI insists on invading repeatedly. I'd be horrified if they were taking a significant percentage of my economy. Second, I tend to send my fleet to hunt the enemy fleet first, with invading planets second. Of course, they often have their best fleet around their best planet, or you can only reach one or two enemy systems, but the AI tends to spread its fleet, letting the human wipe out a theoretically stronger enemy by concentrating forces.

I don't know that one of us is right and one wrong, or it depends on the situation, or its just a style difference. I just found it interesting, because we play much the same otherwise. Well, your diplomacy is much better than mine.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
The game is really piling it on you

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Yea, all you could hope for is a few centuries of stalemate and being ignored so you have time to recover. Not likely.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
You can’t move pop off a plague planet. You could just let it burn and hope the colonies can bootstrap themselves up.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
You must have done well if you were around long enough to make a significant mistake.....

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I didn’t expect the Psilons would just stall when clearly leading in both size and tech, but it gives a ray of light. A very small, dim one, but it’s there.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Ah, so close. Reading that last update I thought you’d pull it out, that the last tricky part was the diplomatic flip when the council nominated you.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Very nice start.

Watch the humans win a first council victory

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
This is starting to look interesting. Who can snowball faster?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
And for the second game in a row the AI Psilons are slow to exploit their advantages. They must be sitting in a corner teching up. Yea, you've got this one.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Personally, I always play red. I like the ship designs.

Can you take those two northern Bulrathi colonies? That would’ve been my first impulse.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Colonies that far from their main planets usually have very low population this early. You have a shot at rushing them. Have to see the actual numbers, of course.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
You simply don’t have enough planets to compete.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Yea, this was pretty much hopeless for a while (though you did have that previous miracle game). I find that early expansion has to at least reach the number of planets to trigger the GNN size milestone (you don't have to trigger the milestone by being first to reach it, but you have to reach it). I think that would be six for this map? If I can't, then it's crazy gamble time. I am the type who'd rather lose fast than get ground down and lose slow, however.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
When you showed the initial map I thought “oh no.” And the rest of the update showed all the worries coming true. Maybe that planetology boost gets you hostile landings first?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I’d attack the Meklar. But as you point out, even the best option is more likely to lose than win.

Do you have any indication how powerful the cats are? Could a bear cat alliance challenge the rocks? That’s the only real alternative I see: get everybody at war with the Siliciods and pick off some of their planets with help from your allies.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
This isn’t completely hopeless. Just mostly hopeless. That war could be a big opportunity.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I feel that the tipping point will come if you can get a fleet that can protect a colony well enough to let you build it up. Without that, any gains you make take luck. With that, you still need luck for the favorable diplomatic situation to hold, but at least you've got some control.

I agree that the Silicoids have taken their best shot and are only sliding downhill from here. That seems typical for them if their early expansion advantage doesn't give a quick win.

Thot, you are an amazing briber, or at least a lot better than me. Do you have any tips?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
You SOB, you’re actually going to pull this off. I would’ve abandoned it centuries ago.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
You might want to go ahead and wipe you the single planet races. Diplomacy is going to be hopeless very soon.

We design ships very differently. I almost never put two different weapons on a ship (sometimes a few bombs to fill extra spaces). Unless I’m building a self repairing Death Star, I pick the weapon I want to use and cram the most I can into a hull, using the size that gives the lowest cost per weapon. Aside from insisting on the very best engines I’m reluctant to sacrifice firepower for anything. I’ve just found that pure damage output beats everything else.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Thotimx posted:

What's your philosophy on how to handle different types of opposing ships? I.e, when a weapon is good against one that you encounter but not very effective against others?

More firepower!
I don’t build to counter particular designs. I want a big punch, usually torpedoes or missiles for distance, and enough speed to control the range. Then sheer numbers.
Usually I take a medium or large hull, give it my fastest engines, cram the maximum of my preferred weapon in, and spend any remaining space on shields and ECM. No targeting computer or other frills.
Then I build a lot of them. Lots and lots, because I will take losses. I keep them in one fleet, hunting enemy detachments, no matter what system they happen to be in. My wars are about destroying the navy, only capturing planets afterwards. I never split my fleet unless both parts can easily destroy any enemy they come across. Really tough enemies I’ll shoot and scoot to wear down.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
True, I’d say. I also build fewer missile bases than you, so I’ve got more resources to put into the fleet. I’m also a lot more aggressive, trying to secure a winning position very early. I never sit as patiently as you have in this game.
You also seem to win a higher percentage on Impossible than I do.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Could’ve declared war and destroyed or taken one Bulrathi world the turn before the vote. 😀

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
All Hail our Dark Lord!

I look forward to the sequel where a plucky cub and his misfit friends overthrow you.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Yea, I’ve had similar games, to the point that I don’t want to be nominated if it’s against the Humans.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Very rare to start in a nebula, but after the initial planets, looks like you've got a friendly star distribution, and that's the biggest thing.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I look forward to the bear videos on the next run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
While I’m sometimes too aggressive, an early invasion looks like the only option. If Thot doesn’t get those Darlock worlds he’s going to be terribly boxed in.