Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if there's a modifier for using bio-weapons, is there a modifier for being the target of bio-weapons? And does declaring war on another race impose a negative modifier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Desilicoid yourself and face the shaleshed.

So now that it's reached the point where colony ships are wiping out your colonies, how many planets do you have left and how much longer until you face complete annihilation at this rate, assuming you fight tooth and nail to delay the inevitable?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

drat. I don't know why the game has such a raging hard-on for screwing you over this time. If computer skill is supposed to stop this, and you have better computer skill with this race... is it bugged and works the opposite as intended?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

With the way this game is going, I half expect the final update to simply be"Whelp, I went to load my save but the file is corrupted. So we'll just say the Psilons caused reality to collapse. Join me next time as I try again as the Meklar."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Did you get the name Ajax from a particular war rocket?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Come on second turn "Sun going supernova" event! Let's see if we can make this pain train complete!

But seriously though, that was a hard-fought loss.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Neophyte posted:

Since you're probably going to win it you should rush Orion as an extra "gently caress you" to the AIs.

Can I second this? Hell, I say rush Orion, then start a war with the rest of the universe and roll over everyone.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thotimx posted:

I'm assuming they go into cryosleep or whatever, unsure of when, where, or even if they will ever wake up. Which really might make them more deserving of sympathy, not less.

They wake up once a year, put on a pot of coffee, check their email, delete a year's worth of spam, do some light exercises, check to see if the order to launch has been sent yet, then go back to cryosleep for a year.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does the AI ever make a mid/late-game attempt at Orion, or do they just ignore it once it's "found" by them?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thotimx posted:

One would think so, but until that actually happens ...

"Now that I have Neutronium bombs, you wouldn't bother building planetary shields, so I won't bother putting them on my ships! Unless you would expect me to do that, and build shields, so I will put them on my ships. But you would obviously expect me to think of that, so I won't put them on my ship. However, this being the highest difficulty, you would obviously expect me to realize that, so I will! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in the Bulrathi." But only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Mrrshan when death is on the line!""

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you have to PAN DA joke.

These puns are becoming unbearable.

Personally, I'm hoping that whatever Thotimx has up his sleeve will be a good kodiak moment.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

God drat. I'm still amazed you managed to turn it around like that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At this point, I would expect a supernova to take out your starting planet, leaving you with a 10pop planet, and you would still pull a win out of your rear end.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thotimx posted:

To these sentiments, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but the man behind the curtain would like to point out that I've lost 4 out of 10 games here. If it wasn't for the two epic comeback games I'd have a losing record.

How many of those were Impossible AI RNG running away with the game beyond your control, and how many were because you hosed up? You're literally saying that you "only" have a 60% win rate, on the hardest difficulty in a game that would probably beat my rear end on normal (while I love 4x games, I suck at them). Besides, I only said a supernova on your homeworld, not "and every other bad RNG element also triggering on you". While I have high hopes for your game, I'm not expecting you to be godlike.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That was just plain RNG screwing you over. I mean, what are you supposed to do in that situation? Somehow spam the universe and get veto before the first council comes to pass with a poo poo hand like that?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kaosdrachen posted:

... I wonder if it's even possible for a species to go extinct in MoO due to a plague exterminating the only planet they have...

Would the RNG take a penalty to diplomacy?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The flip side being that he would have 3 good planets very early on, and I imagine it's easier to come back from a slow start like that than it is to be fenced in by Darlocks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So when playing against the Psilons, would you prefer that they start next to you so you could beat them up and stuff them into a locker sooner, or would you let them have access to a planet other than their homeworld so you could periodically beat them up and take their lunch money before stuffing them into a locker? Or would you prefer that they start next to Silicoids and/or a race like the Mrrshns, who may go to early war with them and hopefully keep beating them up until you can get enough of a lead over them?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't recall if it was mentioned previously, but can you tell your spies what technology branches to focus on stealing, or is it just random what technology branches they steal from?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Take Orion, then bribe everyone with the technology before the council vote. If we win the vote, great! If we don't, then we gave everyone WMDs and can sabotage all relations between everyone while throwing open the blood gates.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can you see the instability of your own planets, or only of ones that you're inciting riots on? And if instability never goes down, would a strategy for Darloks (other than "Steal everything that isn't nailed down, then steal the nails") be to raise instability to as close as 50% as you want to risk, then wait for them to declare war/all of a race's planets are on the verge of rioting, then tip them all at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm going to vote for Lords of the Realm, Alien Legacy, MoO2 and Ground Control.

Because why not make my vote completely pointless and redundant?