Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I never played the original much, mostly MoO2. Still following this LP, though, good nostalgia vibes all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Is it "safe" to spend this long not building any missile bases? I know I'd have beelined for them right away, but then again my instinct in 4X games is always to first have some sort of static defense against an initial rush/accident, then focus outwards.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do missile bases count for "fleet strength" reports?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

rchandra posted:

Do techs that you choose to put off ever go away, or can you always get them later? I assume that when you have two versions of the same thing (like Improved Industrial Tech above), you don't need to get both of them.

It looks like the techs he's skipping over are staying on until he gets around to them. Which is distinctly unlike MoO2 where every tech gained from a given branch moves you up a step and permanently locks you out of those you skipped, unless you steal or trade for them later. Unless you're playing the Psilons, of course, who have a ridiculous advantage in being able to research a full tier of each branch at once, the cheating bastards. :v:

In this case I kind of prefer MoO2 since it makes each choice much more hard-set. You can't just put something off until later, unless you know there's someone you can get it from, and your choices affect your tech layout much more drastically.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thotimx posted:

Different strokes for different folks, but in Moo2 the differences I would point out are:

** You can always trade for pretty much anything, with almost anything, which makes this quite trivial IMO and
** You can always choose the same techs every time, there's never anything 'randomly missing'.

I would say your choices in Moo2 affect your tech layout less and I don't think it's close -- but that's why some people think it was a great sequel and upgrade and others like myself give it a decided 'meh'.

Well, you could always play the Klackons or another Uncreative race if you wanna play Hard Mode with the techs. :v:

Cythereal posted:

I'm not a fan of psilons in this series in general. The lifeblood of just about every 4X game is science, and I've never seen a 4X race/faction whose hat is being much better at science than everyone not being the best race in the game or very close to it barring weird overpowered special factions.

This is mostly true for MoO2, with a couple of exceptions as some species have abilities that can't be replicated through superior tech. For instance the Silicoids can steal a march on everyone by colonizing everything, and can have a powerhouse industry since they don't need to devote any population to working agriculture. But yeah, barring some of those races pushing their starting advantages hard and killing the Psilons in the cradle after rolling up a homeworld right next to them, they'll be winners in the hands of most competent players.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What are the odds of actually snagging an Alliance with someone in an Impossible game? Are the AI more likely to work together against you? Or are they just better at managing their empires and lead their diplomacy pretty much as usual?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do Missile Bases require a sizeable amount of credits to maintain? Or are they free once built? And is there a max # of bases per planet?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Isn't it dangerous to have the Alkari fleet knocked down that hard? Doesn't that make them ripe for conquest by someone else, since you've got a NAP with them?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thotimx posted:

Yep. Plus if the Silicoids take them out everyone will be pissed at them: Altair is basically a 'poisoned pawn' because of the diplomatic penalty for genocide if somebody wipes them out.

Wait, so there's a diplomatic penalty for completely defeating another species?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think diplomatic victories were always one of my less favourite parts of MoO and MoO2, because, comparatively, they always feel like such an anticlimax. And, as seen here, it's almost never the result of some sort of major diplomatic campaign intended to win you the throne, but usually more of a surprise as your major remaining enemy makes themselves super unpopular somehow.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm counting... 48 stars? So the humans have grabbed something like 1/7th of the playing field already. Definitely they've got some neighbours feeling the squeeze.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Think we'll get around to conquering Orion this time around? I imagine that's a lot harder to do on this difficulty with regards to sparing the fleet strength needed to knock down the Guardian.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One thing I note about MoO is that it feels like war is just... impractical, in a lot of ways, until a good bit in. There doesn't seem to be much of an option for a relatively early-game military rush, unless you get extremely lucky.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I've never understood MOO2, and MOO 1 I'm kinda even worse at. It's interesting.

Yeah, for all the extra complexity(particularly in ship design), MoO2 feels a lot more approachable and forgiving than MoO1. But that may just be me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well, this definitely seems like a stronger start than last time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MoO2 does have design space for some goofy concepts, though. I once got away with a fleet based entirely around boarding and capturing enemy ships for a surprisingly long time.

Generally, though, MoO2 ship design is hardest early on, where it's possible that some enemies might simply have ships too tough for you to hurt, or too agile for you to hit, reliably. At least that's my memory of it, it's been a while since I last played.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

To the contrary, I think unit customization and even unit creators can be done well and intuitively - Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is one I'll always hold up as easy to understand and use.

See, I never saw any reason to use it in SMAC. The game auto-generated the optimal designs, and that was basically it, 99% of all the components were just a stat+, not any sort of sidegrade or expansion of options.

My only issue with MoO2 is that I've never been able to make it run stably since Win 98. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's the overview of the remaining Klackon Empire after the losses to the Psilons?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Are the Silicoids a more dangerous enemy than the Psilons at this point? I'd have thought that befriending the Psilons, or at least keeping them mollified, would rank higher.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Starting to feel like the Klackons are actual contenders now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

When you accidentally bomb a colony into non-existence, does that come with any sort of diplomatic genocide malus? Or is that just seen as conventional collateral damage?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like how this one turned into a nice story: The plucky, high-production underdogs being unable to harm the tech wizards, and therefore doing a hail mary gamble towards an ancient repository of doomsday technology.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

Stellaris tried something like that and everyone hates it with the fury of a thousand suns. In the end it just feels like you're not being allowed to control your stuff which makes the player feel frustrated. Even if the alternative would be even worse.

It's not so much that it's a bad concept, it's just that it's terribly executed and essentially forces you to micromanage the AI anyway(for too many reasons to list), so you kind of get the worst of both worlds, a stupid AI you have to keep watching and a bloated empire you have to micromanage. Aside from that it's also just... executed in the lamest way possible. Your provinces are literally just automated factories, they're not potential hotbeds of separatism or anything. Like, it'd be great if the subsectors of your empire were more productive due to more local management, but then rather than managing their fine details to keep them efficient, you had to manage their politics to keep them loyal.

Settling border disputes between them, assisting them in science and industry, helping them crack down on their own rebels and pirates with your fleets, etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Time to colonize literally everything.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Okay, so, out of curiosity. There's a diplomatic genocide penalty for eradicating another species. But what if you eradicate a species before you've made contact with any others? Would it still apply to them?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well, when they get those 32k doomstacks, shouldn't there be prohibitive upkeep costs associated with them? Or does the bug also negate that, or does the AI handwave fleet upkeep away somehow?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Farmer's Gambit. Leverage the silicoid settling powers!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ouch, the psilons as a major opponent again? Silicoids just can't catch a break.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Shiiiit, this is tense. How fast do missile bases build? Would it be pointless/hopeless to set some up on Crius?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What determines whether you get to "steal" any technology when you conquer an enemy planet? I would've figured that recapturing Crius would have gotten us something.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

At least your enemies are all busy beating each other up rather than ganging up on you! For now, anyway.

Would it be worth it to try spying on the Psilons in the hope of scoring some tech ups that way?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ouch, shame about getting framed for that sabotage against the Mrrshans, that could've been what sabotaged a winning council vote...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I wonder if the other races would've been more polite if you'd also had a large fleet, or whether that would've just further encouraged them to team up against you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm gonna vote Sakkra next, because I'm curious how long the game will keep the Meklar hidden from us if we let it. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ouch that's a rough start. Well, uh, at least if you need to crack open the Guardian for a last-ditch shot at some game-saving tech, you know where he is...?

Also, to echo the others, I largely played MoO2 rather than MoO1, and you're showing me that the original had a lot of depth that I didn't even remember, or more likely, never actually uncovered since I was a dumb kid when I played it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's always so weird swapping away from Silicoids and suddenly having to pay attention to planetary environments again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Maybe start spying on the Silicoids? Seems safer to piss them off than the Meklar.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If you have no contact at all with a race, does that affect their willingness to vote for you in the council?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Time to mobilize the galactic alliance against the Silicoids. Is there any chance any of your allies are going to bail on you? Or does the AI more or less always honour its alliances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh poo poo, I was thinking this was gonna be an amazing curbstomp when the five-race alliance turned on the Silicoids... but did the other races really do MUCH? It felt like they kinda hung back and let you take all the punches.