Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So what you're saying is, the Alkari are spacefaring pigeons. Yeah, okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congrats on the victory. How useful would you say the Alkari's traits were in helping out? It seems like we're pretty solidly into "traits are useless" territory from here on out...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Of course the Sakkra get a fertile planet.

I get the impression that our best bet at this juncture is to just try to hold as many of those hostile planets as possible and colonize them conventionally. The Alkari are already pretty well hemmed in, but trying to wipe them out (or rather, punch them down into irrelevance) would be a huge expenditure in terms of ships and population that could be better spent taking unopposed systems instead.

Maybe if we were the Bulrathi, it'd be worth a rush in the hopes of stealing a few techs via ground invasions? Maybe? But early warfare appears to be a bad idea in general in this game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Personal armor research division, any progress to report?

I see our camouflage systems are working well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Decoy Badger posted:

Congratulatons on the victory! I like to think that the player race is a bunch of descendents of The Cat from Red Dwarf.

Nah, Cat is a descendent from one of the games where the Mrrshan lost and their leader was banished from the known galaxy. After all, MoO is only a few paltry centuries from now, while Red Dwarf is set millions of years in the future.

(I went and looked up a Red Dwarf timeline. It is impressively stupid)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

An early Darlok invasion could be rad, give you a tech leg up if you snag some good stuff from them, a planet leg up, and set them back. Wouldn't it most likely need some planetary combat tech to have a good chance of being pulled off, though?

The Bulrathi are planetary combat tech. The real question AFAICT is if the invasion will cost so much population as to not be worth what is gained.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kaosdrachen posted:

Plus you can play in a galaxy that doesn't have any Darloks in it. Always a good thing.

Having a designated punching bag can be useful for currying favor with the other races. And as long as they're kept small, it hardly matters if they steal techs. The worst thing they can do with them is trade them to other, more relevant races, which they'll have trouble doing if everyone hates them.

EDIT: vvv oh yeah, I forgot about the framing mechanic. Okay, annihilate 'em.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 28, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So hypothetically, if enough planets were hostile and everyone got really unlucky with their colonization techs, the council could never form?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BurningStone posted:

I like to think the guards see the bear spy, but decide they aren’t being paid enough to get in his way.

This is like the story of the half-orc rogue that put all their points into Intimidate instead of Stealth. "YOU NO SEE GRUG." "Yeah, yeah, whatever you say!"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congrats on your victory! It was clearly pretty inevitable at this point, but it's nice that you didn't have to close out the Mrrshan war to secure it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well, I just had my homeworld spontaneously go fertile in the same year that the Sakkra homeworld was destroyed by a supernova. Thanks, RNG :buddy:

e: the Sakkra homeworld is also entirely surrounded by systems with no habitable planets. There but for the grace of God go I.

Imagine starting up a game, only to discover that you have 10 turns before your sun goes supernova, and you have to research improved range/landings to be able to reach any habitable planets.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I haven't gotten the impression that MoO1 has the "you're too big so I hate you" AI pattern that's so prevalent in other 4x games. At least, if it's there it doesn't seem to show up until the late game.

Here's hoping nobody else has an even better start, I guess!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, that expansion period didn't last as long as I feel like it should have. Having the Silicoids as neighbors sucks. How many planets do you have in your backfield?

You have a [/b] tag trying to pull duty as a [/i] tag (where you mention the Silicoid ship class, Moray I think), so part of your post is erroneously italicized.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The squeeze is on. Can the Darloks get powerful enough to survive before their allies inevitably betray them?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I concur. Bribery is far more the Darlok way than trying to win in a straight-up fight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kaosdrachen posted:

That actually kind of makes sense -- for every one tech you steal from them (and sometimes it's not even you they blame for it) you give them at least three different ones back. Sure, those weren't yours either in the first place, but what do they care?

It's particularly amusing because "realistically", they'd have to know that you're bribing them with stolen secrets. There's no way the Darlok scientists are advanced enough to be able to make all these discoveries legitimately on their own, and everyone's presumably conferring with each other, which would lead to at least some conversations along the lines of

:tbear: "We caught some Darlok spies awhile back."
:zoid: "So did we! What did you do with them?"
:tbear: "They apologized and gave us better spaceship engines, so we decided to forgive them."
:zoid: "Wait...you mean the warp drive? We were wondering why everyone got them so quickly after we invented them!"
:tbear: "Sucks to be you, I guess."
:zoid: "Yeah, especially since our captured spies only gave us some out-of-date beam weapons when they apologized."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congratulations on your victory, and completing the challenge you set yourself! I'd say you qualify as a Master of Master of Orion. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If it's not too much to ask, could you briefly summarize any particularly notable happenings that otherwise only occur in videos? Stuff like meeting the Humans or settling Stalaz. Most of the between-turns videos don't have anything of note, so I don't want to have to click on every one in case I'd otherwise miss something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Mm, I guess what I'm missing is the context shots, like, "here's where we encountered the humans" or "here's our new colony". You were providing those shots in the main LP, so it's a bit more noticeable now that they're missing. It's not a big deal though, I can cope.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Can you try to transfer more population to a planet than it can support? What happens if you do; do the excess just die on arrival? Does population in transit count for council votes?

It'd probably be horribly tedious to actually perform, but it's a kind of interesting thought experiment to try to figure out how to maximize your total population counting both planets an pop "in the air". I guess any given planet can accept up to (maximum population - 1) or maybe (-2) in one year without "wasting" any, but it needs to immediately ship most of that off to make room for the next wave. Figuring out the optimal "toss pattern" for a given configuration of planets sounds like a really tricky graph theory problem.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

rchandra posted:

Do you need a new colonizer design for each type of planet (toxic/radiated/dead) etc or is Dead a catch-all for "planets that need tech"? I feel like this was mentioned in an early game, but I couldn't find it.

Dead lets you land on all planets that are of Dead or nicer quality. If you want to be able to land literally anywhere with a single colonizer design, you need Radiated landings, because Radiated planets are the worst.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Thotimx posted:

I don't think it's useful to try and fill them up all the way though due to how population growth works. Given how much more you get when a planet is halfway full, that's why I just ship out anything about the half-full point so that growth is maximized.

Sure, this was more me nerd-sniping myself than anything to do with optimal gameplay.

a computing pun posted:

Once you get Hyperspace Communications, you can repeatedly redirect your pop transports back and forth and consequently build up effectively unlimited amounts of population "in the air". this is kind of pointless but sometimes I use it for planetary invasions: send the population first, then have it hover around the targeted planet until I manage to actually win the fleet battle.

And that kind of ruins the "puzzle", so let's just pretend it doesn't exist. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This kind of thing is why I never do well on 4X games at higher levels. The temptation to just mash "next turn" and trust things to sort out reasonably well is way too high for me.

Wayne posted:

No, much like how in XCOM 1 you can send scientists back and forth between 2 bases to avoid having to pay any of them. That's actually a way to avoid an expected council loss: send enough transports flying around on the eve of a vote to fall to #3.

That's amazing. "We really, really want to vote against the Silicoids, but their population mysteriously fell by 50% last year. Dangit."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's kind of hard to get a grasp of overall strategy when we're looking at things at such a detailed level. Is there some broad-strokes difference between Thotimx's and Wayne's strategies that helps explain the discrepancy, or is it all attributable to RNG?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How feasible would it be to build a colossal fleet of fighters armed with whatever weapons you have that can damage the Guardian, and just swarm it down with sheer numbers?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there a limit to how many ships you can materialize in a given system in one turn, if you throw enough BC at it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wayne posted:

Hmm, in theory, but aren't they the guys whose every military vessel is "Death Star, but a square"? Single-minded threat mitigation, that's what I'm going with. :D

In one of the movies it was "Death Star, but a sphere!" ...wait.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Decoy Badger posted:

What tech level are Orion's goodies, in comparison?

I wonder how much the map can be manipulated to support a speedrun - presumably there's some sort of seed that can be changed via emulator memory editing. Small galaxy, honorable diplomats and all artifact planets maybe.

There's a Civilization 1 TAS that mostly just manipulates the AIs to leave their cities undefended, such that they can be captured by the player's workers and settlers. Sadly not possible in MOO because colony population always fights back, but success in ground combat is determined by random factors.... I think the equivalent would be something like "there's artifact worlds near the player's starting world that give enhanced range/speed, then the player sends out 1 million soldiers to the closest AI homeworld and takes it, then uses that to take the next homeworld, etc." This assumes of course that the RNG can be manipulated enough to allow for such shenanigans.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have to wonder how useful it is to have a planet in a corner of the galaxy producing ships, considering the wait time before the ship can get anywhere useful and the extra maintenance you pay just for having it exist. There has to be some point at which it's more useful for the planet to contribute to the reserve and then have a more usefully-positioned planet draw from the reserve to enhance their own production, even given the efficiency penalty you pay from using the reserve.

Or just have the remote planets spend their efforts on research I guess.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As I recall, the Guava Protocol (tm) involved massive simultaneous strikes on every enemy planet in a large area, to strand enemy fleets far enough from their planets that they're considered outside of valid supply lines and are automatically scrapped. Obviously that's not a big deal in this case as the fleets you're facing are pretty piddly; I do have to wonder how important it was in the original formulation though. Surely building up that large of a fleet force before making your attack means the attack must be substantially more expensive to launch, compared to taking planets one or two at a time?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I do find it interesting though that you're so invested in taking planets "intact". I get that not destroying factories lets you ramp those planets up to productivity that much faster, but given how few planets the other factions have, the marginal gain in empire-wide fleet velocity seems minimal. And sure you might win some techs, but is there anything critical you're worried about missing out on?

So my inclination would be to bomb the hell out of 'em, then send a token invasion force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Thotimx posted:

I made a bad joke about that system some while back, but basically - these Borg pursue perfection but there are some bugs to work out.

Well, they are Klackons.