Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm enjoying this LP so far. I've never played this classic before, but I decided to play along with the LP (on Simple because again, first time). It was pretty fun and Zen-like, and in my impatience, I beat the game. Time to play along again, but on a higher difficulty.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thotimx posted:

2337-2350

Next up, we ran into something that generally will freak out a new player the first time they see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWAwKzKh19M

For anyone who isn't familiar with it, that's the Guardian, who always guards Orion.

It sure did. I was afraid one of the AI players already had a ship that strong when I first saw it. Then I realized it was named guardian, and put 2 and 2 together.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Genociding one race gives you a diplomacy penalty, but if you genocide every other race, it fixes all your diplomacy penalties.

Also, I had two really strange runs on simple and normal. The planets had a large number of inhospitable worlds, and distances that made it hard for everybody to make it beyond their homeworld. On the simple run, the humans managed to get four planets, everyone else was stuck at 1 or 2. On the normal run, I managed to block every other race from even getting a third planet.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thotimx posted:

The weekend was a bit crazy, but I should have the next update up later today.
It's Wednesday. I think your weekend was much crazier than you give it credit for.

Thotimx posted:

Races getting stuck can happen -- last time I played on Average I ended up with 25 planets at one point, nobody else had more than three. But those kinds of things do tend to be the exception.

And it just happened to me for a third time in a row, this time on hard. I had the entire east side of the map to myself. The only way to get to the west side (until sufficiently high ranges were researched) was through Orion in the south, or through the Humans in the north. And I got on the Humans' friendly side, letting me spend the entirety of the early game free from having to defend myself.

Then, once everyone got pissed off at me for having 11 planets, destroyers with class II shields and Ion cannons made my fleets nearly invincible against their lasers and few if any shields, even against capital ships. Also, I had so much production, that I could raise fleets on an as needed basis, surging production when I saw an incoming enemy fleet.

Map. My mouse is over the homeworld.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thotimx posted:

And speaking of pouring .... We can only fight this war on the defensive unless we want to risk ticking everyone off by eliminating them.

I was going to ask if you couldn't blockade their system, and then that's exactly what you did next.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm interested in seeing just how far you feel in the population ranking thanks to that invasion.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From my limited experience, this kind of victory may be anti-climactic, but it usually means that you're in a position to pull drastically ahead. However, my favorite thing to do in these kinds of games is to get all the techs, and maximize production, which the diplomatic victory cuts needlessly short.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it safe to assume that they got planet 6 and 7 the same year?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's hope the humans don't have a young child that's a combat and leadership prodigy and kills bug aliens by understanding them enough to love them, and then genocide them.

Speaking of which, can I put in a request for naming the Human emperor "Ender" once you move onto playing as them?

I think the medium galaxy shows off the limitations of the MoO UI. There's so much more micromanaging to do, and managing a swarm of scouts is a massive pain.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thotimx posted:

This is nothing. Wait till we do Huge :P.

I believe you. On the small map, I was able to pick the game up, play a decade or two, set it down, and get back to it. I can't really do that on the medium map.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the AI assistant is too aggressive. It has scouts automatically patrol, even when I don't want them to, and even when I tell them to stay in orbit, they try to leave the turn after that. Also, planetary spending and vehicle under construction also gets changed every turn to whatever the AI wants.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's situations like these that order queues make a lot of sense. Being able to tell your scouts:
Go to planet x.
Wait until planet y is in range.
Go to planet y.

... would be very helpful.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clarste posted:

I've never seen MOO in action before, but it seems to me in retrospect that two distinct lineages have emerged from each game. With the most obvious difference being whether you build individual buildings with unique effects, like MOO2, or just abstract planetary development into some kind of budget slider, like MOO. The latter also tends to simplify star systems into single planets. In a lot of ways it's more interesting though, since it keeps your focus on the bigger picture instead of being bogged down with building Hydroponic Farms in literally every colony.

Now you've got me thinking on how to do a space 4x in a vein similar to Spore (except not being a massive disappointment). I mean that in a sense of the world growing as you advance in technology. In a few minutes of thought, I came up with this.

The human empire collapses in the vein of the Roman empire. You start off​ as a planetary governor of what used to be a member world in that empire. Your ambition is to reunite the human race under your banner. The gameplay has more micromanaging elements like MoO2. You take care of what's built and where.

Once humanity has been reunited, you stop worrying about the little things. You have people to take care of that for you. The gameplay becomes more like MoO as humanity looks beyond it's historical borders to the new frontier. From that point of view, your multi stellar empire looks like just a speck that covers 1-3 star clusters.

Unfortunately, I already can see plenty of issues, the first of which is the the more complicated gameplay comes first, then the simpler gameplay.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my dad posted:

Sounds a bit like Imperium Galactica to me, except it's more like "you start as the commander of a small fleet, and get promoted until you become the supreme commander of humanity"

Looks like something I'd enjoy if I had any idea as to what I was doing.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OAquinas posted:

One quirk of the AI is that if you have a ship and the missile bases, the AI will keep ships in the fight it would retreat to try and kill the ship, even if they're getting pasted by bases. You could have probably taken out most of that fleet if you moved the nuc recons away but didn't retreat them.

I'm going to have to keep that in mind because I've been suffering from a bad case of anti-climactic fleet vs missile base battles.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An alliance forged in the blood of cats is not meant to last.

Nonsensical philosophy aside, one gripe I have is that reduced industrial waste renders ecological restoration moot. It's better to invest planetology research into other goals, as that research is just a hole that you throw research points into.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Things are starting to look up now.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GuavaMoment posted:

Now can we solve the mystery of why this is a "Le'ts play" instead of a "Let's play"? :D

It's in Klingon.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do the Klackons have issues getting Robotic Controls? I've only played three games with them, but every time, the Robotic Controls techs weren't available for me. In my medium game, I stole a Robotic Controls III, and in my simple game, I didn't get any until Robotic Controls VI.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

also mega lol if you think the AI in this game truly understands the concept of setting up a picket like that

Certainly not intentionally, but dumb AIs can surprise you with randomness that appears clever.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe the plodding part. Honestly, it's why I haven't moved up from playing small galaxies.

It's not a sure win, but it looks like you've got a good shot. Looking forward to the conclusion.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Complete anihilation.

That was an amazing game. Looking forward to what you do with the rocks.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

down with automation, up with abstraction imo. having your 50th city/planet/whatever be as complicated as your first one, but with an AI governor you can activate (assuming you don't immediately turn it off when it inevitably sucks), doesn't make any sense. just make the actual mechanics of later settlements simpler so that managing 50 of them isn't 50 times as many decisions as managing one

I mentioned something like that earlier in the thread, and I got this response.

my dad posted:

Sounds a bit like Imperium Galactica to me, except it's more like "you start as the commander of a small fleet, and get promoted until you become the supreme commander of humanity"

I played a little bit of it, but didn't get a chance to delve deep into it, and probably won't.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a lot of poor planets. At least there's that one ultra-rich planet.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With the Psilons and klackons, I know it's a bad idea to spend on pop gains. Does that hold true for Silicoids as well, or is it worth spending money on pop growth?

Edit: Wow, I dropped an entire clause there. Fixed now.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 8, 2017

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, the amount of micromanagement you need to do to stay on top of all that must be overwhelming.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Things regress to the mean. A good early game leads to a worse later game. Of course, you have a good foundation, so hopefully it'll get you going in the right direction once you shore up your territory.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Glad you're back. I was worried for a bit that the LP might be over.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woo. Now we get to watch you try to dig yourself out of the hole that you're in. This should be fun.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't worry, some day they'll make a movie about this and call it "Downfall."

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Soon the Silicoids shall be melted down and serve as the computers of the New Republic.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least the nice thing about being pushed back this much, the updates are shorter.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And with that, the last several million silicoids survive. The price was delivering your head to the new republic.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
settle more. We must spread silicon life to the Galaxy.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Straight into a tense situation.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This looks like a good run so far. Looking forward to victory.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats. One more victory for you. I should have known something was up when you were going into so much detail in the council vote.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thotimx posted:

Johann III flies a Yellow flag over Sol ...
Darn, you didn't name him Ender.

Meklar

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the game realized that you forgot to name the emperor Ender and penalized you for it. But that is seriously an amazing starting location for the Silicoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thotimx posted:

Clearly the only sane explanation.

Or it wanted to make your next Silicoid run easier, because that is a crazy amount of hostile planets.

Edit: Update at the bottom of the previous page.