Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This LP got me playing the original again and drat if it isn't still my favorite 4x. I just had a Klackon game go south when the Psilons backstabbed me, and I ain't even mad. I just wish there was a way to speed up dosbox a little...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

ulmont posted:

Ctrl+F12 to give dosbox more CPU cycles.

This is a gamechanger!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

How aware is the AI of the diplomatic game? Do they know not to do things that piss off enemies or that weaken their own bid for the council? For instance, would the AI try to avoid destroying/invading the last planet of a given species, to avoid the universal diplomatic penalty that would result? Or do they not care?

Considering how often I'd leave a race to one planet in a war, only to see someone else happily genocide them, I don't think they care too much.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

Thanks for this LP!

This thread has inspired me to dig up my copy of MOO and play. So far, so good for the space rocks.

I'm used to playing Civ and thus ignoring diplomacy completely, and just lost a great Psilon game because everyone flipped on me in the senate. That hurt.

I'm trying to learn how to balance my rapid expansion with diplo to avoid pissing everyone off and this LP is certainly helping.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

ulmont posted:

A miserable little pile of hairballs.

But enough talk. Have at mew!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Your LPs got me back into playing MOO but I kept getting stymied by the way the Computer is allowed to send transports to planets they haven't even colonized yet. I loved following your games and picking up tips on how it's supposed to be done, even if I'm nowhere near Impossible.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

My three are Lords of the Realm, MOO2, and Homeworld

Thank you for reminding me that LotR/II exists! I played the hell out of that when I was younger and it was amazing to me. I want to see how you play/break MOO2 as just like following along with MOO here, I'm trying to get better at the game. And as for Homeworld, I was never able to get into it due to not being a good player and the spectre of game death spirals if I didn't mine everything on every map and lose too many units/resources, but I'd love to see it played by someone who knows how it's done.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Thotimx posted:

PSA: updates are likely to be sporadic for an undetermined period due to what I expect to be a relatively minor issue. I know that's vague but I can't be more specific right now. Hopefully it'll be short and I'll be back to what passes for normal both personally and LP wise soon. Thanks.

Is someone trying to initiate the Guava Protocol on you?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

There's already costs associated with them. They're not contributing to your empire and they don't count towards pop in council votes. The former especially at higher levels is a tangible cost, I would think.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

This LP series has really helped me understand MOO better and I love this game to death but I'm a terrible 4x player. I'm really hoping to see an MOO2 version, maybe not the 'every race' thing but a good in depth set of games like what we've been seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Thotimx posted:

In the next update, it will be confirmed that bioweapons damage the habitability of an enemy planet merely by being in orbit and not being used. They do not kill population while doing this. I cannot explain this … I only know that it is so and that I am without choice in the matter. It simply happens.

Do they damage your own planet as well? I've never made Guavaships but I've taken over planets of AIs who load their ships up with bioweapons, and after beating their fleet in their own orbit, I've seen planets with like 60pop/20popmax and thought it was just due to the AI not spending on cleanup? I don't bombard or anything either.