Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Ah, the tried and true "preset kill limit" strategy! Zapp would approve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
So....deathspores?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I hope you go for Orion (before you lose I mean win). Death Spores? I've got Death RAYS! :hellyeah:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
You know who doesn't play Whack-A-Mole? The Orion Guardian!

Kill the Guardian and eat its guts for Ultimate Power!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Maybe the Rocks can get some alien version of "tin blight"

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Since you're probably going to win it you should rush Orion as an extra "gently caress you" to the AIs.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not sure why you're complaining so much. Orion is right there! You can get death rays! :v:

drat straight! Flood the Guardian with unlimited flocks of Bird Power! Darken the skies!

SQUAWK!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

StarFyter posted:

Hmm... 85*10*5shots = 4250, and that's not even counting the 45 stellar converters taking out another 45*4 = 180 every turn.

Aha! The Guardian's fatal weakness is its preset kill limit!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
If you couldn't control when you pooped you wouldn't wear pants either.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Haha drat Everybody Loves Humans!

Stupid mammals!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Darlocks?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, this is tense. Now it's all about whether the Darloks get pissed at you or their own allies first.

whynotboth.jpg

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Of course you should go for Orion! Aren't cats known for their curiosity? What wonders await there? :catstare:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Awww yeah!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
It's almost certainly worth it, not only to get access to a terran planet but also to knock back the Darloks - and maybe even set up for an early total genocide of the jerks, to avoid the AI flooding us later with Darlok spies and sabotage every freaking turn.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
And thus Robin Hood becomes the King of England. Congrats!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Personally I think strategy games make the best LPs in all, they give us readers a chance to theorycraft various build strategies/races/technologies/etc. They can also be done mostly in screenshots if desired. Space sims/shooters like Freespace or X-Wing*.* are great to play, but other than talking about the merits of the few different weapons/ships there's not much for the peanut gallery to add. Plus they're mostly going to be videos, and if a particular mission is big you either have the viewer watch it the whole thing (including any long boring parts) or need to edit it in post which is a pain too.

Homeworld, granted, is kind of an exception - Berryjon's LP of it was fantastic. But the HW series has some strategy elements (what ships to build) that folks can talk about, and the story is loving dense and is develpoed really well through the missions.

Anyway, long story short I'd like to see these strategy games:
Lords of the Realm - I've never played it and the series sounds really great

Master of Orion 2: Battle at Antares - this one I have played, in fact I'm looking at the icon on my desktop. But I'd like to have you go through not only the game but also the changes it has over MoO 1 and your thoughts on what worked and what doesn't. And theorycrafting? Oh lordy, we can theorycraft all the doo-dah day for this game! The best MoO, imo. Well, the only one I play so...

Master of Magic - Also a game I played a lot of and have now, but I'm poo poo at it and it's pretty much a straight-up MoO with magic. The magic system itself is interesting, and there's lots of thought that can go into your beginning builds and expansion strategies. Like most of these early games, the AI is weak and turning up the difficulty seems to just make it more powerful (ie easier to kill you off early) but no smarter so it may get tedious.

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
The Borg being brought down by a buffer overflow DOS seems thematically appropriate.

"We are the Borg, resistance is fu-A FATAL EXCEPTION 0E HAS OCCURED AT 00280ceo7a13a VXD AFVXD(01), THE BORG HAVE BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PROTECT DAMAGE TO THE COLLECTIVE. PRESS CTL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART YOUR UNIVERSE, IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL LOSE ANY UNSAVED EMPIRES"