Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CopperHound posted:

Did you end up going through the Narrows? I'm curious what the water level is looking like right now.

knee high

Chard posted:

During most of the year only the very westernmost part of the park is open to visitors.

not quite sure what you mean. hunting hollow is open all year.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my understanding is that part of the park (orstremba wilderness, etc) is technically open all year, you just can't park at dowdy and the visitor's center is closed. You can hike/bike that whole area from hunting hollow, but hunting hollow still leaves you with access to a lot more than the very westernmost part of the park. If you've only ever done the HQ backpacking sites, you should definitely check out the stuff around hunting hollow. I like the creeks in the northern part of the park, but Kelly and Coit lakes are really cool and swimmable and its nice that you can do dispersed camping down there. You can also get to Pacheco Falls from hunting hollow, which should be firing this time of year.

Last time I started out of hunting hollow, about a year ago, we left after work and got stuck behind a gnarly accident on the 101 so we didn't get start hiking out of hunting hollow until about 11 at night. we ended up hiking up to the top of middle steer ridge and sleeping there for the night about about 1:30, and we woke up and starting moving just in time to see this pack of about a dozen feral pigs tearing rear end over the hills starting about 200 yards in front of us. one of the coolest things I've seen down there. always great seeing the sun come up from up on the ridges too.

I was actually hiking out of the HQ entrance last weekend too and did Upper Camp > day hike to Sizer via Hobbs. first time i've gone to the northern part of the park in a few years. it was great to see the creeks so full, didn't spot any trout yet other than lil fries tho. Crazy amount of ticks right now.

• Locked thread