Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I just did a big hike through Henry Cowell SP last month when I was vacationing in Cali.

Curious... did you really need the deet this time of year? Also, what are camp shoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Chard posted:

Nice! Henry Cowell is a great park, I grew up nearby and spent a lot of time there. I'm guessing you were at the visitors center entrance? There are a lot of good trails there. Did you make it to the observation tower?

As for DEET, I probably didn't need it to be honest. I don't care if bugs are on me or even biting me, but I'm very paranoid about diseases and deer ticks (common in California) can carry Lyme disease which is a right bastard. I usually squirt it on my boots/calves and rub it around seams in clothing and on my neck. As it turned out I was walking through all kinds of tall grass and low scrub which is perfect tick habitat, but I didn't see a single one!

Yeah... I actually intended on coming into Henry Cowell from the west side, but the road was washed out from recent storms and completely closed. We turned around and went in by the visitor center and train thing instead. Awesome doing the redwoods loop there, and then we headed out into some of the deeper trails.

I originally wanted to go to Henry Coe at first, but we were staying in Santa Cruz and I realized Cowell was more then big enough to occupy our time.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I love the mountainous-prairie type of look.

• Locked thread