Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morbus
May 18, 2004

Yes, it is a good park for that kind of thing. Hard to recommend a site without knowing more about what kind of distance etc. you are interested in. There is a list of all the designated campsites here:
http://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/activities/backpacking/40-backpacking-campsites#sadas

Along with some basic info about them. Most of them are easy to locate on a topo map (caltopo.com is fantastic)

Once you get further into the backcountry (basically the whole eastern part of the park and the orestimba wilderness), you can camp pretty much anywhere. There are some quotas to limit how many people are in any given area of the park, though.

Designated campsites can fill up on weekends. If you are looking for a short (< 5-10 mi hike out) overnighter and don't want to worry about campsites being reserved, I think the hunting hollow entrance (accessible via Gilroy) is probably your best bet. There are no rangers or anything there, so I'm not sure how permits work from that entrance. You might be able to self register, I dunno.

Starting around this time of year the weather can get hot. So bear that in mind when trying to extrapolate any lessons learned to e.g. backpacking in the high sierra.

As others have mentioned ticks can be a concern. For what its worth I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't see any although the ranger at HQ said they were "flourishing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

There's lots of poison oak, allegedly. I don't really keep an eye out for it and haven't ever had problems from it in Henry Coe. If you are really worried about it, a lot of the trails in the park are old fire roads (and are named such-and-such road in maps), which are very wide. Hiking along these there would be zero risk of brushing against any.

• Locked thread