Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

uhhhh no if anything lend lease is usually overstated as a reason for the soviet military strength

20% of the total armored vehicles, 20% of the fighters, 30% of the bombers, gobs of weapons/ammunition/fuel/tools/food, entire factories, plus the general purpose trucks used to move everything and everyone around. It's hardly even mentioned in the US and it was not taught in the USSR - at least not to anyone I've ever spoken to educated in the USSR.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im glad that dresden, tokyo, hiroshima etc

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's a rather poor analysis. The bombs didn't suddenly appear before Truman to ask if he was prepared to secure U.S. interests at the cost of 120,000+ Japanese lives. You're applying hindsight to the decision instead of looking at what the decision makers at the time knew, and the pressures they were under.

The development of the atomic bombs was a four year long process that cost billions of dollars, that happened to bear fruit at the time and place it did. There was no way that a President wouldn't use them if he thought there was any chance they might bring the war to a swifter conclusion.

(Also, no one was worried about the Soviets invading Hokkaido, because Soviet amphibious capability in the east could best be described as "lol.")

Truman had a choice and at the end of the day, he decided to use his two bombs in rapid succession. Undoubtably, there was a strategic calculus at stake with that decision. Also the Soviets just needed a toe hold and the time to make it happen (causalities were a non-issue.

Also I haven't a Russian while living in Russia, who pretended it was only a Russian sacrifice. They will say it was a Soviet sacrifice and that's true.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I like how when nuclear physics was just magic and theory we started the first self sustaining nuclear reaction in the middle of one of our largest cities which was also the central transhipment point for our food.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I like how when nuclear physics was just magic and theory we started the first self sustaining nuclear reaction in the middle of one of our largest cities which was also the central transhipment point for our food.

We tested a thermonuclear weapon under shallow ground in Nevada and the dust ejected into the sky spread fallout into Iowa

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's a rather poor analysis. The bombs didn't suddenly appear before Truman to ask if he was prepared to secure U.S. interests at the cost of 120,000+ Japanese lives. You're applying hindsight to the decision instead of looking at what the decision makers at the time knew, and the pressures they were under.

The development of the atomic bombs was a four year long process that cost billions of dollars, that happened to bear fruit at the time and place it did. There was no way that a President wouldn't use them if he thought there was any chance they might bring the war to a swifter conclusion.

(Also, no one was worried about the Soviets invading Hokkaido, because Soviet amphibious capability in the east could best be described as "lol.")

Considering how in the dark Truman was about the bomb before he took office, you can sort of say the bombs just appeared in front of him. The context is harder. Truman didn't have a lot of foreign policy experience. He was dismissed as a "haberdasher" who had been installed by the Missouri democratic machine. An accidental president. Thrust into the role, he absolutely had to weigh post war aims when considering to drop the bomb. First among them was the position of the Soviet Union compared to the allies. Churchill was vehemently anti-communist. Many of the American generals were too. Hell, many of the Nazis were wondering why were bothering to fight them when we really should be joining forces to beat the Soviets.

All of this was in Trumans head. Okinawa had been bloody. Kamikazes seem to prove the finality of the Japanese will to fight. As did the fight to the last man battles in the pacific. And the civilian suicides after the American victories.

After the firebombings, after the discovery of the death camps, faced with the threat of the red army, I don't think the decision to use the bomb was difficult for Truman. He wanted the war to be over. He wanted the Soviets put in check. All of these goals were served by the bombs.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Another vote for watching The World at War, it really is great. Can't bring a lot to the discussion since that's my only source of knowledge. I hope some streaming service gets hold of it, I wonder what it would do to someone's head if they binge-watched as if it was a season of 24.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what's a more accurate indicator of sperg, military history or trains?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Knowing about the different guages of Russian and German rail.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

let me tell you about american tank destroyer doctrine :thesperg:

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
Okay guys, Zhukov, Rommel, Patton. gently caress marry kill.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Starving Wolf posted:

Okay guys, Zhukov, Rommel, Patton. gently caress marry kill.

kill rommel, gently caress patton, marry zhukov

:ussr:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

kill Patton, gently caress Rommel, marry Zhukov

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

blowfish posted:

let me tell you about american tank destroyer doctrine :thesperg:

I know you're joking but tanks are undeniably cool machines of death and I welcome all insanely detailed tank chat. Although I'm more curious about how tank life was. I've heard a variety of opinions and experiences here (although I'm sure type of tank and location mattered a ton). I watched the first half of Fury in the past week and the idea of "tank life sucks" kinda matches up with WaW. Where can I read more about the stuff? Preferably firsthand.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Warbadger posted:

Uhh, Finland didn't pursue the war with the Soviets. Stalin literally had to invent a reason to go grab the parts of Finland he wanted by having his own guys shell a Soviet village. At that point Finland's side in the whole thing was pretty much set for them - either ally with the Nazis they didn't like or ally with the former Nazi ally (aspiring ally?) who literally just invaded them.

After the war they were effectively a Soviet client state and didn't have much say in who got hosed over. Shockingly this included people who had opposed the USSR.

Finland in 1941 had a choice whether or not to join in the invasion in the USSR and chose to join in. It was probably a mistake. The term 'continuation war' is very deceptive.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

TheRat posted:

kill Patton, gently caress Rommel, marry Zhukov

This is the correct answer.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

a tank is just a car with a big gun its not that cool

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

buglord posted:

I went to the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans yesterday and it was pretty cool. They had veterans there that you could talk to. They also had a ton of weapons on display with a whole lot of uniforms. Coolest part was realizing just how gigantic a M4 Sherman was (I always pictured tanks in general smaller). Had a few gripes with the museum using so much modern Nat Geo/History Channel documentary material. And even in the museum setting, I think there was some oversimplification going on (no explanation as to why the U.S avoided war so long, Stalin and Allies being ~bffs~)

But also like, its a museum and I assume most people don't go in with a ton of prior knowledge of the war other than the turning points and associated atrocities.

i need to go there someday. i also want to go to the WW1 museum in Kansas city.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Finland in 1941 had a choice whether or not to join in the invasion in the USSR and chose to join in. It was probably a mistake. The term 'continuation war' is very deceptive.

In the context of the Soviet invasion of Finland immediately prior to this choice and the annexed Finnish territory it seems pretty appropriate to call it a continuation war. They wanted their territory back and had an axe to grind with the Soviets.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

buglord posted:

I know you're joking but tanks are undeniably cool machines of death and I welcome all insanely detailed tank chat. Although I'm more curious about how tank life was. I've heard a variety of opinions and experiences here (although I'm sure type of tank and location mattered a ton). I watched the first half of Fury in the past week and the idea of "tank life sucks" kinda matches up with WaW. Where can I read more about the stuff? Preferably firsthand.

it was better than bomber crew life, fighter pilot life, or submarine crew life.

thaaaaat's about it in the list of military assignments tanks were better than.

sure hope you enjoy being deaf, blind, overheated, and unimaginably bored.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Warbadger posted:

In the context of the Soviet invasion of Finland immediately prior to this choice and the annexed Finnish territory it seems pretty appropriate to call it a continuation war. They wanted their territory back and had an axe to grind with the Soviets.

So did Romania, but no one would term it in that way. The 'continuation war' is a frame that is very self-serving, considering the more than a year of peace between the events.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Panzeh posted:

So did Romania, but no one would term it in that way. The 'continuation war' is a frame that is very self-serving, considering the more than a year of peace between the events.

It's matter of objectives. Finland's objectives were narrowly tied to the Winter War - they recovered their lands and then stopped. Romania sent their armies on a field trip through Russia in a joint campaign with Nazi Germany aimed at destroying the USSR.

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
Highly hosed up

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Finland morally compromised itself by being a cobelligerent with Nazi Germany in the same way the USA morally compromised itself by being a cobelligerent with the Soviet Union.

But only one of those two sides won the war.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Finland morally compromised itself by being a cobelligerent with Nazi Germany in the same way the USA morally compromised itself by being a cobelligerent with the Soviet Union.

But only one of those two sides won the war.

Well, the irony here is that the Soviets were a co belligerent with Nazi Germany when the USSR invaded Finland.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
More of an involved question but what was the purpose of show trials and getting admissions of guilt during the great purge? It appeared like most people knew what was going on, but also they were powerless to stop it? Why go through the trouble of creating legitimacy?

Soviet torture techniques during the purge were drawn out and time consuming. Also, how much of the purge was pathological distrust vs. a convenient excuse to purge any and all competition? Such a brutal decapitation of ones own military seems really stilly, especially in hindsight, but there had to be more behind if.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

buglord posted:

More of an involved question but what was the purpose of show trials and getting admissions of guilt during the great purge? It appeared like most people knew what was going on, but also they were powerless to stop it? Why go through the trouble of creating legitimacy?

Soviet torture techniques during the purge were drawn out and time consuming. Also, how much of the purge was pathological distrust vs. a convenient excuse to purge any and all competition? Such a brutal decapitation of ones own military seems really stilly, especially in hindsight, but there had to be more behind if.

There is one additional variable in there. Mostly by coincidence, Joe McCarthy actually fingered some Soviet agents. Similarly, the purges of the Red Army were not totally insane, just mostly so. As a guy who'd claimed power through questionable means and was not particularly popular, Stalin was not wrong to suspect an awful lot of his officers would have been willing to coup his rear end given the opportunity.

Ultimately, though, the goal of the show trials was to create the legitimacy Stalin felt he lacked, establishing himself as the Defender of the Nation Against All Who Would See It Ruined, beset by spies and traitors, the sole person the people could trust to have their best interests at heart, etc, etc, your basic self-aggrandizing strongman package. Later on in his career, Stalin did not bother with show trials, he just made suspected enemies disappear. But there at the start of his reign, he had an incredibly weak position, and he needed every scrap of legitimacy he could get his hands on.

So while he was killing off his (perceived) enemies, he made a big show of "look how definitely in the right I am for doing this."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bates posted:

It's matter of objectives. Finland's objectives were narrowly tied to the Winter War - they recovered their lands and then stopped. Romania sent their armies on a field trip through Russia in a joint campaign with Nazi Germany aimed at destroying the USSR.

Finland went past their pre-1940 borders and there was a lot of noise about Karelia. The difference between the Finns and Romanians in this regard is that Antonescu realized that for him to keep his gains, Hitler had to win so he went all in.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

buglord posted:

I know you're joking but tanks are undeniably cool machines of death and I welcome all insanely detailed tank chat.

:same:, but US tank destroyer chat was the running gag in the milhist thread because even milhist spergs thought ten page long rounds of "tank destroyers were good" "no actually they were bad" "no actually it was just every single tank destroyer officer who were bad" were too spergy

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's been a while but from what I remember it was "soviets suffered a great deal" "Stalin murdered his own men" "heroic western allies came to the soviets rescue" "soviets because bloodthirsty in revenge"

I'm just gonna return to this and say that the narrative for the Eastern Front in World at War was 'Soviets got loving mauled but thanks to their tenacity and german hubris they were able to weather the storm and turn the tide'. No armed force in that series got it's dick sucked as much as the Red Army.

You know what, just watch this and tell me when the 'Western allies had to gallantly rescue the poor Soviet Union' plot kicks in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhrnp5SoVg

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Has anyone watched Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Considering how in the dark Truman was about the bomb before he took office, you can sort of say the bombs just appeared in front of him. The context is harder. Truman didn't have a lot of foreign policy experience. He was dismissed as a "haberdasher" who had been installed by the Missouri democratic machine. An accidental president. Thrust into the role, he absolutely had to weigh post war aims when considering to drop the bomb. First among them was the position of the Soviet Union compared to the allies. Churchill was vehemently anti-communist. Many of the American generals were too. Hell, many of the Nazis were wondering why were bothering to fight them when we really should be joining forces to beat the Soviets.

All of this was in Trumans head. Okinawa had been bloody. Kamikazes seem to prove the finality of the Japanese will to fight. As did the fight to the last man battles in the pacific. And the civilian suicides after the American victories.

After the firebombings, after the discovery of the death camps, faced with the threat of the red army, I don't think the decision to use the bomb was difficult for Truman. He wanted the war to be over. He wanted the Soviets put in check. All of these goals were served by the bombs.

The casualty estimates that he received for operation downfall were also very high, and rightfully so. Postwar analysis of japanese war documents showed that the japanese had correctly guessed our landing sites and general invasion plans. They also had stockpiled lots of fuel and kamikaze planes specifically to defend japan itself. The decision to drop the bombs was not an easy one, even when looking back with all the knowledge we have now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just gonna mention my maternal grandfather (though not my blood, my grandma remarried when my mom was still young) who had basically the best WW2 experience. He was sent to Yale to learn Japanese (I have one of his textbooks from the time which is really cool, and he remembered a surprising amount), and the only "action" he ever had to take was interrogating some Japanese sailors (I think from a submarine?) who had surrendered off the Pacific coast after the war ended. He says they talked with the Japanese soldiers about food and women and that they were relieved the war had ended.

Unfortunately my paternal grandfather was not so lucky and was sent to Guadalcanal and ended up with PTSD. He very rarely talked about the war, though my dad said there was one time he mentioned having to play dead among the corpses of some fellow soldiers.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Panzeh posted:

Finland went past their pre-1940 borders and there was a lot of noise about Karelia. The difference between the Finns and Romanians in this regard is that Antonescu realized that for him to keep his gains, Hitler had to win so he went all in.

The Finnish government was somewhere around 1942 and 1943 making a lot of plans for the post-war economic exploitation of Eastern Karelia, which had never been part of Finland.

Pragmatically speaking, the Winter War was maybe avoidable through better diplomacy in the late 1930's because the fundamental issue for the Soviets and Stalin wasn't that they wanted Finland but the security of Leningrad. The Continuation War or some derivative of it would have probably happened anyway precisely due to the whole Leningrad issue.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The casualty estimates that he received for operation downfall were also very high, and rightfully so. Postwar analysis of japanese war documents showed that the japanese had correctly guessed our landing sites and general invasion plans. They also had stockpiled lots of fuel and kamikaze planes specifically to defend japan itself. The decision to drop the bombs was not an easy one, even when looking back with all the knowledge we have now.

Several problems here
- The Japanese may have prepared for invasion, but their material situation was incredibly dire. Their fuel stockpiles were so low that they couldn't fly interception missions against bombers, their kamikaze fleet was forced to remain stationary at its air strips with just enough fuel for the last strike. American planners knew that, and they also knew where Japanese air strips were located. They would have been able to pick off most of the Japanese air power with impunity, and they also had an elaborate scheme of of protected picket boats (called something dramatic like Iron Veil IIRC) that would distract the remaining planes, and force their pilots to launch too soon, as well as make it harder for them to find actually valuable targets and force them to run through a zone of overwhelming Allied air superiority. All in all, only very few losses due to air power would have likely occurred if the complex operations to foil the Japanese were put into action.
- By far the most potent remaining fighting formations of the Japanese army were located in China and Manchuria, and even those folded immediately when pressed. One can only imagine how the improvised divisions of Home Islands defense would do with their much worse equipment and training. Last ditch civil militias were virtually unarmed, there were cases of recruits pillaging muskets from museums or being given ordinary tools like chisels for weapons.
- Strategic mobility of the IJA was zero. A breached portion of the front would have been a permanent loss to the Japanese with no hope of a counter attack.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 25, 2017

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
It's weird how all these "would have collapsed" units were never encountered in the field. Those fuckers allways fought to the last (then killed themselves after slaughtering the prisoners).

Also not a lot of good that the Japanese home units were crap, because they tended to kill themselves so either way they were dead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

504 posted:

It's weird how all these "would have collapsed" units were never encountered in the field. Those fuckers allways fought to the last (then killed themselves after slaughtering the prisoners).

Also not a lot of good that the Japanese home units were crap, because they tended to kill themselves so either way they were dead.

The Soviets captured hundreds of thousands of Japanese veteran soldiers in just a couple of weeks.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

504 posted:

The whole "they will always commit suicide" thing was dumb orientalism fueled by the fact that the US side of the pacific war was almost entirely on tiny islands where there was literally no hope of escaping. A lot of the suicides in Okinawa had more to do with the fact that Okinawans were seen as subhumans by the mainland Japanese. The Japanese surrendered plenty and were just as human as the rest, there's still japanese POW journals.

It's not even entirely clear that the monarchy was, at that point, even something most Japanese were willing to fight to keep at all, besides the aristocrats who had the final power to actually put an end to the war.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

steinrokkan posted:

Several problems here
- The Japanese may have prepared for invasion, but their material situation was incredibly dire. Their fuel stockpiles were so low that they couldn't fly interception missions against bombers, their kamikaze fleet was forced to remain stationary at its air strips with just enough fuel for the last strike. American planners knew that, and they also knew where Japanese air strips were located. They would have been able to pick off most of the Japanese air power with impunity, and they also had an elaborate scheme of of protected picket boats (called something dramatic like Iron Veil IIRC) that would distract the remaining planes, and force their pilots to launch too soon, as well as make it harder for them to find actually valuable targets and force them to run through a zone of overwhelming Allied air superiority. All in all, only very few losses due to air power would have likely occurred if the complex operations to foil the Japanese were put into action.
- By far the most potent remaining fighting formations of the Japanese army were located in China and Manchuria, and even those folded immediately when pressed. One can only imagine how the improvised divisions of Home Islands defense would do with their much worse equipment and training. Last ditch civil militias were virtually unarmed, there were cases of recruits pillaging muskets from museums or being given ordinary tools like chisels for weapons.
- Strategic mobility of the IJA was zero. A breached portion of the front would have been a permanent loss to the Japanese with no hope of a counter attack.

Ah. It's been awhile since I read Hell to Pay so maybe I'm misremembering the fuel thing. Or maybe giangreco was just reading too much into his evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

The Soviets captured hundreds of thousands of Japanese veteran soldiers in just a couple of weeks.

The Soviets had a massive strategic advantage in mobility especially considering the flat terrain of Manchuria, and those troops had comparatively little reason to fight for every inch of soil compared (compared their homeland).

Ultimately, we don't know in the end, but August Storm is not the best comparison.

The invasion of the Home Islands might have looked a lot more similar to Okinawa. Obviously the US would win, and little damage would come from the air but it very well might have been a long grueling fight with high numbers of civilian causalities. The US would be backing both the government and the population into a corner, and that usually doesn't work very well.

That said, I think the most troubling element for the US would be if such an event happened wouldn't be the losses, but the fact that the Soviets would be relatively uncontested elsewhere.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 25, 2017

• Locked thread