Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Red Mundus posted:

So much trial and error, my God.

There was one part I was running from a tongue monster. I thought I needed to hide so I started running away to find another around the corner and too late to turn around, haha.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Mine was when I was crawling under a house during a chase sequence and a cult member with a flashlight started crawling towards me in front so I started moving back and died from another cult member sneaking behind me.

Second time I just kept crawling forward and discovered that there was a crawl space to my right I could go to but I could only see it if I kept crawling towards the cult member despite knowing he was there coming right at me....

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Red Mundus posted:

Mine was when I was crawling under a house during a chase sequence and a cult member with a flashlight started crawling towards me in front so I started moving back and died from another cult member sneaking behind me.

I died there too, there was no indication that would happen or even be able to get away.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 26, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Red Mundus posted:

So much trial and error, my God. The atmosphere/visuals are great but having to read the developers mind during stealth/chase sequences is just demolishing my will to play.
Not defending it but this much should have been obvious from the demo months ago

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I was watching a friend play this last night. This has been probably his most anticipated game of the year thus far. His disappointment was almost heartbreaking.

Is it just me, or do the batteries seem to drain ridiculously fast this time around? In the first game, I remember you could get a good few minutes use out each one, but this time, they empty after maybe 2 minutes. It doesn't help that they seem to be more scarce this time around as well.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Looking good review wise so far.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I haven't finished yet, but so far I am not really enjoying this game. For a game with this many chase and hide sequences, there are way too many fake doors that don't lead anywhere. I run to a door thinking I can go in and find a place to hide and nope the door is just a painted on fake you can't use it. Most of the enemies also are not scary. Even the harmless patients in Outlast had some truly weird and unsettling appearances. Most of the enemies in this game so far are just dudes with southern accents.

There are also way too many chase sequences in environments that are way too dark, which I think is adding a lot to the trial and error problem. The first game had a few chase sequences, but almost all of them were sufficiently lit and so less frustrating. The more frustrated I get, the less scared I get. And the more I fail to the same enemies due to trial and error, the more I come to appreciate Amnesia's old method of despawning an enemy you've already died a couple times to. The only enemy that's truly frightened me so far began to lose its effect on me after one particularly frustrating sequence where I kept dying to them.

Another thing this game is failing at that the first game didn't is I am finding way too many things laying around that my character could use as weapons. And this guy isn't weak either, he's pulled off some feats. Outlast's setting lended itself well to this type of gameplay because it made sense that you wouldn't be finding a bunch of weapons laying around in a mental asylum, so the issue of your character not having a weapon barely came up in your mind. Not so here. I'm regularly finding things and wondering why I can't pick them up. If the only reason I can think of is "Well it's not that type of game" that's a failure of storytelling via game design.

The game tells you your character isn't a fighter. I understand that. That's enough to explain why he's not going in guns blazing, hacking through every enemy he sees. That does not explain why he can't pick up something just to defend himself with.

That's a lot of complaining, so now I'll talk about the things I like.

As mentioned, one of the enemies in the early game is successfully imposing and scary. Their height, their build, their weapon, their voice: all lend well to a genuinely frightening encounter that I found myself dreading coming across again. The music accompanying this enemy is also brilliant. It's this cocaphonous chorus of voices that continues to build up and die down again. This enemy's design reminds me of a mixture of (enemy appearance description)the Grim Reaper and the Virgin Mary. When I first encountered a Mary statue in the game it struck me how similar her silhouette looked to this enemy's. I don't know how ubiquitous this enemy is throughout the game yet, but so far they're a good successor to Walker from the first game.

I am also tickled that enemies now follow you into vents and ventlike areas. The first time I turned around to see an enemy had actually got down onto the ground and crawled in after me, I was horribly surprised.

I'm a big fan of overly dramatic religious text that describes impossible and weird demons and creatures, so I'm enjoying the notes I'm finding.

A sequence in a cathedral reminded me of a far less comedic version of one of my favorite sequences from Super Mario RPG, so I was a big fan of that as well.

Everytime a corn field chase sequence comes up I enjoy it.

The story is ... I don't hate it, but it's not really notable. I'll save any judgments on that for further into the game. I do feel like I've seen enough crazy christian (or christian-like) religions in videogames to last a lifetime.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 26, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bought it because for the most part I really enjoyed the first one. People like to talk poo poo about it a lot, but honestly I thought it was one of the scariest games I have ever played and a lot of the jump scares made me audibly yelp and jump out of my seat, which never happens and I play a lot of horror games.

I really thought the gimmick wore thin about 2/3rds of the way through though and was completely dead for me while I played through whistleblower. Hoping they pulled some new tricks out of their sleeves for 2, or at the very least I'm hoping it's been long enough that it'll have the same effect as the first one.

Really wish this supported VR though. After RE7 non VR horror feels a little underwhelming.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is it just me, or do the batteries seem to drain ridiculously fast this time around? In the first game, I remember you could get a good few minutes use out each one, but this time, they empty after maybe 2 minutes.

Yep, somehow they got you an even more crappy camera this time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was an ok game for $30 but they reduced the last boss fights to just showing off the two new mechanics, hiding underwater and holding hands while using a camcorder while running away. The stealth seemed like it took a set back as you only had to double back once to lose the guy or have them despawn. The ending comes and there's basically no explanation of what or how it happened and it's more of a stuff happens story. Outlast 1+dlc felt like it had a more grounded story.

There's like one document that talks about the Murkoff Corporation from the first game and that's all it connected on. I had to look it up but it talks about Jennifer Roland who is talked about in a document in Outlast Whistleblower to had transferred out of the asylum when they found out the Morphogenic Engine could induce pregnancies in the female employees of the Murkoff Corporation. Supposedly all the fog horn induced dream sequences are coming from a radio tower you never get to go to which could all be run off from the Morphogenic Engine making the player and all the villages insane but is never explained and this is just my guess. The radio tower is talked about in the document 'Old Traveler' on the left side of the lake before you use the raft (Chapter 3: Lamentations). So maybe the radio tower or whatever it's part of, is going to be the DLC and it's all connected with super science again.

I'm guessing all the biblical warning signs of the apocalypse and the baby at the end are all just part of the hallucinations of the Morphogenic Engine somehow showering this little village. They talk about how the girl that leads them there had mercury in her blood that would come from a large scale operation and take years of exposure but the biggest thing they have is the mines. The mines didn't look like it was running much anymore.

After finding that document in the Whistleblower DLC that described what happened to the female employees of the Murkoff Corporation, I was hoping they would have a female as the lead character but they went with this crazy christian plot line instead. Maybe the DLC game will consist of that and more of the Murkoff Corporation.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 27, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What happened to the female employees? I don't remember that.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Outlast and Outlast 2 weren't very scary experiences for me because I've played this sort of game before. It's another first-person stealth game. It's like playing Thief: The Dark Project in pacifist mode. I know all the motions, how to outwit the enemy AI -- and the AI in Outlast is easy to outwit. The game depends too much on poor visibility and scripted sequences to challenge the player because the AI is not as sophisticated as that of Thief, Deus Ex, or Styx.

Also, the horror is uninspired. Blood and mutilated corpses. An insane asylum. A religious commune of crazed fanatics. I've not only played this game before, I've watched this movie before.

The game tells you that "you're not a fighter" and so must rely on stealth to survive. It's not a very plausible premise for me. Most of the enemies in the game aren't fighters either, they're just a bunch of hillbillies who have lost their inhibitions. Anybody can become like that if you corner them like a rat. The protagonist could probably take them on (one at a time) if he just grabbed a pipe or a machete. The hero must be in great shape, considering the physical ordeals and feats he has to perform, whereas the enemies look malnourished and diseased (I always found it funny how so many horror monsters look weaker than the heroes).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

What happened to the female employees? I don't remember that.

It was only mentioned in a document in the Whistleblower DLC explaining why there were no females in the asylum. http://outlast.wikia.com/wiki/Miscarried_Profits Link to the document you find in the DLC.

quote:

Apparently we had issues with female employees experiencing psychosomatic pregnancies, something to do with how the Morphogenic Engine interacts with the immune system? (All Greek to me. Am I right?) It was more often fatal than not, and these were employees not patients, so a little harder to sweep under the rug. But...
To me, this explains the entire ending for the second game.

This document was at the very end of the DLC, it was clearly sequel bait no one saw, haha.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 27, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah, thanks.

Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this right now but I turned it off after dying like 7 times to the first enemy encounter. It seems obnoxiously trial and error and it killed all the scary for me after the first death and she just started to annoy me . Maybe ill be in a better mood to play tomorrow.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: nvm

I will say that at least one person I know who really liked the first two installments were disappointed by this one. It doesn't look very interesting to me, either.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

Ah, thanks.

Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this right now but I turned it off after dying like 7 times to the first enemy encounter. It seems obnoxiously trial and error and it killed all the scary for me after the first death and she just started to annoy me . Maybe ill be in a better mood to play tomorrow.

That encounter and most of the encounters are just for you to run back and run around something to lose them.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Massive fan of the first one and the dlc and I thought this was kind of garbage. The visual designer needs to win some sort of award though because I haven't seen visuals as hauntingly beautiful and unsettling since the exorcist. The Catholic school alone was incredible and the courtyard in the snow was perfect.

Shame the last part of the game is just loving around in endless caves and poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

That encounter and most of the encounters are just for you to run back and run around something to lose them.

Yeah I ended up playing for a while longer. The thing about that encounter that is super weird to me is that the audio visual cues are all over the place. Like, I still don't know where she is supposed to be spawning from. It sounds like she's in that Shack but she will just randomly see you then she actually spawns when you turn the corner and you are automatically spotted. Then you run 5 feet and she just disappears. I was trying to stealth it. It's really weirdly designed.

So far the rest of it has pretty much been outlast for better or worse. I'm enjoying it but haven't found it scary at all and I'm not sure if it's less scary than the first or I'm just numb to its tricks. Still it's interesting enough I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

Then you run 5 feet and she just disappears. I was trying to stealth it. It's really weirdly designed.

There are a few more places with teleporting bad guys. Running up to this switch the bad guy is to my right around a corner, flip the switch, and the bad guy is now coming from a door behind me which would be to the left of where I ran in. Technically they should of saw me flipping the switch but teleportation happened, haha.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's time to play a game called "guess which review site this came from"

quote:

It brought up some of the most difficult memories in my life, issues I had buried long ago. My reactions to that anguish have run the gamut, but more than anything, I respect that Outlast 2 has the singular focus and intensity to dredge up those emotions

If you guess right your prize is absolutely nothing but you probably already knew half way through the first sentence, so c'mon we both know you didn't deserve a prize.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I finished the game.

My thoughts are pretty much unchanged from before. I'm very disappointed that the -extremely frequent- trial and error chase scenes continue all the way to the end. I don't think I encountered a hide and seek sequence that actually felt like a good Outlast hide and seek sequence until the very end of the game, and even then it was very abbreviated and simplified.

Way too much of this game was way too dark. I didn't feel this way in the first Outlast because its environments were for the most part not -nearly- as confusing. So maybe a more appropriate thing to say would be that while many of the environments looked neat, they were not constructed well for what this game was trying to be.

The story remains uninteresting throughout the game, and those school flashbacks were both way too frequent and way too boring. They started to feel very samey pretty quickly.

It feels like they learned all the wrong lessons from their success in the first game and its dlc. The shocking imagery is increased to the point that I just didn't care anymore by the end of it, and the chase sequences become the point of the game rather than the punishment for failing at hide and seek and a few scattered required chases.

I think of the twins, Gluskin, Trager, and the priest from the first game and it's easy to see how much more personality they had than absolutely everyone in this game.

What a shame.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Viridiant posted:

I think of the twins, Gluskin, Trager, and the priest from the first game and it's easy to see how much more personality they had than absolutely everyone in this game.

Just one, "BUDDY!" goes a long way.

I liked the Nightmare on Elm Street Phone tongue.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Viridiant posted:

Yeah pretty much, the only real constant you have in II is Marta or however, who isn't so much a personality as just a good recurring terminator like enemy.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, she's definitely more of a Chris Walker type. A drat good one though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Martha barely does anything in the story, Chris Walker was so much more intimidating. I don't even know how you can be scared of some woman with stick arms swinging the glowing pickaxe.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 30, 2017

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's hard for me to reply to that post, because part of the reason I'm scared of her, I think, is -because- she's a woman with stick arms swinging a glowing pickaxe. If someone isn't scared by certain imagery I'm not sure there's a way to explain why you are scared by that imagery in a satisfactory way.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think the thing behind Marta's design is that she looks almost exactly like the virgin mary statues you see all over town so its hard to tell from a distance whats a statue and whats a murderous psychopath

Chris Walker beats her in all aspects tho

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of don't like how clearly you can see her face. It makes her less scary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really agree with people that think this game needs some bare bones combat. I think it worked alright in the first one but 2 feels a lot more frustrating and I think it skews more annoying than scary a lot of the time. Having a super limited supply of weapons would provide some much needed catharsis even if the focus wasn't around taking every enemy out like in most games. Give me a one use knife or something once in a while so I can take out some guy that won't go away while I'm trying to find a door or check the area out.

Overall mixed feelings though. I don't think it's scary at all when the first one really did a good job at freaking me out . It is atmospheric and spooky though and the premise is cool. I think the outlast run and hide gimmick actually drags the game down instead of elevating it this time though. Also I think getting lost and not knowing where to go surrounded by enemies is often profoundly unfun.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
A serviceable stealther but not as good as the first. Too many sequences, particularly those involving the pickaxe woman, have to be solved with lots of trial and error.

It's a bit hard for me to believe that the hero is incapable of fighting back. The enemies in the game are just a bunch of hillbillies who have lost their inhibitions. Some of them are very sickly. Like am I supposed to believe that lepers are a threat to me? The hero of this game is a tough-rear end dude, considering all the physical ordeals he goes through.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 4, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So the environments look good and they nailed the atmosphere and sound, but when does the game get good? I'm an hour and a half into it and there hasn't been much tension and the sneaking around bit kinda sucks balls. Especially when you compare it to the first game. Do I have to get out of this lovely shanty-town looking part or something? So far the game's a major disappointment.

Also the humans look pretty bad and are animated poorly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The scenery changes but the gameplay remains much worse than the first. Good atmosphere and somewhat Interesting story, but I'm probably 5 hours in and it's almost nothing but "run from enemy. Fail. Load. Repeat. Find where you are supposed to go."

It's basically been a test of of my patience so far. Even the scary parts get ruined by having to do them 5 times.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

The scenery changes but the gameplay remains much worse than the first. Good atmosphere and somewhat Interesting story, but I'm probably 5 hours in and it's almost nothing but "run from enemy. Fail. Load. Repeat. Find where you are supposed to go."

It's basically been a test of of my patience so far. Even the scary parts get ruined by having to do them 5 times.

Well that sucks, I guess the negative reviews on Steam aren't just making poo poo up.

I've found a lot of the sections to be confusing and most seemingly throw you into situations where you have to run. There's been almost no sneaking around... it's totally confusing. They completely avoided the core mechanics of the first game. I've found so many things to hide in but I've never utilized any of them because there's no need to. How did they gently caress this up?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup.

Like, the first one is mostly stealth with a handful of running sequences. This one it seems better to run most of the time. You can kind of stealth but it sucks rear end due to inconsistent AI and the levels not being designed very well for it. The only problem with that (aside from being rushed through a horror game being goddamn unfun imo) is that it's never really clear where to go. So I usually die multiple times trying to find the exit. It's possible I'm just dumb but I've actually had to look at a walk through to find out where to go twice now because the visual indicators were so bad. Not something I want to do in a game that is so linear it's basically a straight path. It's also so oppressively dark compared to the first game. Such a nice lighting system ruined by 90% of it being pitch black. Overall the experience has just been complete frustration to me.

I really don't know wtf they were thinking it seems like such a huge step back from the first game.

Edit: that said it's not a total bust. Like the story progression has been interesting enough so far I'm still trucking along. And if you are worried about how pedestrian the enemies seem, I can assure you they eventually get a lot weirder and creepier. Unfortunately though, from a gameplay perspective I absolutely loving hate it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 6, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
They released a patch yesterday tuning difficulty.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

A. Beaverhausen posted:

They released a patch yesterday tuning difficulty.

A lot of npcs do cutscene kills and don't hit you and activate a death scene. There's so little amount of npcs that actually just plain hit you. Chris Walker would punch you to death while stickarm pickaxe lady cutscene kills you everytime if your close enough. I wonder how they could even tune it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 6, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

So I usually die multiple times trying to find the exit.

I'm in the same boat, sometimes I'm being chased and there's absolutely no clue where I have to go. I've died a bunch because I don't see the tiny hole I need to crawl through or the chest high barricade to jump. I've come to realize that at this point in the game there's no enemies around when I just have to explore around and puzzle solve, then when there are enemies I'm forced into a chase. There's almost no stealth at all. I'm honestly so baffled. This is the "Machine for Pigs" sequel to Outlast and I'm super disappointed. On the flip side I love taking pictures of the dark and dreary set pieces. Some of the areas are just beautiful to look at with the blue lighting of the night sky and the orange glow of a fire.

The worst part of the game are these loving school sequences. They're all terrible, have nothing to do in them and worst of all they all rely on jumpscares and loud screams. I'm currently stuck in one and if anyone has the solution I'd appreciate it, I just fell down into a pit of bodies and I wake up to find a girl dead on some stairs and there's a tongue monster above her who gives chase.

I can run down the hall through some open doors but then I reach a bathroom and I'm always caught but nothing else will open? I don't get what the hell to do. This game... ugh, sucks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hide in the stall, crawl under the other stalls and run out. I remember the monster being invisible but morphing the ground when it was walking near the stall. Or your in the other bathroom one and you need to go towards a locked door see a shadow then go into the bathroom to have the door open.

Just going on some memory here, I have no clue where you are in the game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 7, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you say roughly what section of the game you are in? The school segments are so non descript it's hard to remember.

Like tenzerin said though most of those parts you have to hide in a locker or a stall or whatever and it pushes the story forward.

I actually kind of like the school. Especially the pool/ computer lab. It's a very convincing mid 90s school is nothing else and the monster is kind of cool.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tenzarin posted:

Hide in the stall, crawl under the other stalls and run out. I remember the monster being invisible but morphing the ground when it was walking near the stall.

That was the solution, thanks. I just beat the game, right under 6 hours and man, this game pretty much sucks. I'm surprised how weak it is, not even just compared to the first game but as a horror game by itself it doesn't have legs to stand on.

• Locked thread