Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

[

Shindou is a highly-skilled negotiator working for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. As his plane at Haneda airport prepares to take off, a huge mysterious cube appears from the sky. A strange being called Yaha-kui zaShunina appears from within and tries to make contact with humanity. Shindou, who was been absorbed by Kado, ends up taking on the role of mediator between Yaha-kui zaShunina and humanity.

Yaha-kui zaShunina
Appears with the giant cube, KADO. Has come from "outside the universe" and wants to advance humanity.

Koujirou Shindou
Gets absorbed by KADO due to being on the plane as it appears and ends up teaming up with zaShunina to help him communicate with humanity.

Saraka Tsukai
Selected to counter-negotiate with zaShunina and Shindou.

KADO is a CG show, so if that bothers you, maybe don't watch it. That said I think the CG is done well and the show is engaging enough that I forget about it most of the time watching it.
KADO Is a story with a focus on negotiation instead of conflict, most of the episodes so far are spent talking. As another user put it in the season thread, it is a slow and methodical drama. If that sounds interesting to you, give it a chance.

There is also an "Episode 0" done in traditional animation, which focuses on Shindou's work but I don't think it's mandatory if you want to just jump straight in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Kado is pretty cool to look at. I thought it was pretty clear from the way it animates that it's essentially a projection of a higher-dimensional object into 3-dimensional space, so it's good to get that confirmed :)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They've been talking about negotiating all the time, but what could the alien possibly want from humanity?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tamba posted:

They've been talking about negotiating all the time, but what could the alien possibly want from humanity?

Alien: :wom:
Japan's toughest negotiator: He means he wants to give us unlimited free energy
Japan's other toughest negotiator: OK.

~fin~

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Let us have a civil discussion about this show about civil discussions.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Aliens are dangerous and we should blow them up

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Namtab posted:

Aliens are dangerous and we should blow them up

The right answer

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Aliens are hot and we should sex them up

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Aliens are hot and we should sex them up

Also the right answer

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I think it's pretty obvious that Za is testing humanity, there doesn't appear to be any upside to him giving us his little infinite energy generators beyond seeing how we react. Also I like the parallel between Za's pretty little glass beads and certain negotiations with the American Indians that did not turn out at all well for the party that accepted the glass beads, I have no idea if that reference is intentional but if it is it's really clever.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that Za is testing humanity, there doesn't appear to be any upside to him giving us his little infinite energy generators beyond seeing how we react. Also I like the parallel between Za's pretty little glass beads and certain negotiations with the American Indians that did not turn out at all well for the party that accepted the glass beads, I have no idea if that reference is intentional but if it is it's really clever.

Hot drat.

Yeah I've been pretty suspicious that something is a little too good to be true; I have a hard time seeing a potentially godlike being thinking just giving us free stuff is in anyway a good idea for our well being. Think about the societal ramifications being suddenly plunged into a post-scarcity society would bring; it could even be catastrophic without preptime to make the switch.

Basically I feel like, advancement we didn't earn ourselves as a civilization to at least some degree I feel like can be more damaging in the long run. It would make sense to me if he would offer to be our "tutors" to gradually get a grasp on it as it would give our society time to adapt while still speeding it up.

But it sounds like to me that his goal is a possible crossover or merger of his realm and ours; this could be potentially be very bad.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hot drat.

Yeah I've been pretty suspicious that something is a little too good to be true; I have a hard time seeing a potentially godlike being thinking just giving us free stuff is in anyway a good idea for our well being. Think about the societal ramifications being suddenly plunged into a post-scarcity society would bring; it could even be catastrophic without preptime to make the switch.

Basically I feel like, advancement we didn't earn ourselves as a civilization to at least some degree I feel like can be more damaging in the long run. It would make sense to me if he would offer to be our "tutors" to gradually get a grasp on it as it would give our society time to adapt while still speeding it up.

But it sounds like to me that his goal is a possible crossover or merger of his realm and ours; this could be potentially be very bad.

I was thinking in a bit different direction. Remember, Za is only giving the beads to the Japanese government, think about how disruptive it would be to have infinite energy at the command of one nation. I think Za wants to see if the people involved can hold to the analogy he used, Za has given them more bread than they can ever eat, everyone seemed to agree that if a starving man came to their table that they would share the bread, but will Japan share? Can the human instinct towards placing oneself above others be overcome?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There are other possibilities to consider, like that he might allow human tech to become dependant on the marbles to the exclusion of other centralized power sources (it doesn't do much for car/laptop/phone power unless every single device ends up containing enough power to run all civilization) and then say "oh by the way I can shut those off whenever I feel like it so you'd best do whatever I say."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

There are other possibilities to consider, like that he might allow human tech to become dependant on the marbles to the exclusion of other centralized power sources (it doesn't do much for car/laptop/phone power unless every single device ends up containing enough power to run all civilization) and then say "oh by the way I can shut those off whenever I feel like it so you'd best do whatever I say."

Well, yes he could, but I don't see why a being of such power would bother with a threat like that, if he wanted to he could cut off all power on earth at any time regardless of its source.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I also feel like he doesn't need to. What could a being like him ever hope to gain from exploiting humanity? It's possible this is a Madoka situation in which humanity is entirely unaware of an aspect of itself which alien entities like the incubators can exploit. We'll have to see.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I was thinking in a bit different direction. Remember, Za is only giving the beads to the Japanese government, think about how disruptive it would be to have infinite energy at the command of one nation. I think Za wants to see if the people involved can hold to the analogy he used, Za has given them more bread than they can ever eat, everyone seemed to agree that if a starving man came to their table that they would share the bread, but will Japan share? Can the human instinct towards placing oneself above others be overcome?

I think this is pretty obviously what is going on. The episode ends with him saying "Mankind, I want you to choose the right answer". The right answer would be to share the energy marbles. Or maybe reject them.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 23, 2017

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The real test of this show is going to be how it represents non-Japanese governments and the UN. I'd hate for this premise and mood to be wasted on another GATE-type deal.

e: Or maybe more appropriate is a "background information of Gunbuster"-type deal.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 23, 2017

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah the show is showing a lot of promise and I went through all the questions asked in this thread myself, and seeing how well the series has handled things so far I expect the answer not to be a simple he's trying to exploit humanity by making us dependant. I mean, executed well I wouldn't mind it because it can make for good drama, especially if there's some sort of interesting wrinkle about it from Za's perspective. This show is displaying some promise about presenting challenging questions and moral dilemmas in a well-thought manner.

I mean, the fact we're even asking these questions in this thread shows that the show is doing something right.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mister Olympus posted:

The real test of this show is going to be how it represents non-Japanese governments and the UN.
Yeah, I wonder how believably they will pull off that side of things.

I just watched episode 0 after watching 1-3 and they didn't make Shindo look tough so much as resourceful. But now Shindo's stuck in a cube/at a negotiating table.

My other concern is how much trust Yahakui seems to be putting in Shindo. It seems to be a lot.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well episode 5 was interesting. I figured the solution to Japan's present pickle would be tied up in not thinking about the Wam as a scarce resource, since who possesses them is only relevant if they exist in limited numbers. But I thought they'd so something like hand them over and then our anisotropic friend would just produce more and give them out to different countries/institutions individually. (At which point exact numbers become irrelevant since each one produces functionally unlimited energy.)

I didn't think they'd go so far as to make it something that anyone with sufficient training could cook up in their living room.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 6, 2017

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I may not like the doctor much, but I agree with her decision here.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would actually make this decision, Even assuming infinite resources and no strife people will have resentment towards each other and Jesus Christ those things can destroy the entire planet by one angry person with enough resources (Probably nowhere as many as producing a single nuclear warhead).

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Did she just fold paper into a 4D shape with her bare hands? That's really impressive.

Shinawa is the most tonally dissonant part of the show by a huge margin; it feels like there's a shounen mecha series missing their lead scientist somewhere.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dessel posted:

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would actually make this decision, Even assuming infinite resources and no strife people will have resentment towards each other and Jesus Christ those things can destroy the entire planet by one angry person with enough resources (Probably nowhere as many as producing a single nuclear warhead).

Until people start developing laser weapons that can handle massive throughput without burning out the components, that all depends on whether you can destabilize a Wam to produce a sudden release of energy, which may not be possible. I don't think you can destroy the world with just a massive number of devices plugged into an infinite power strip.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Until people start developing laser weapons that can handle massive throughput without burning out the components, that all depends on whether you can destabilize a Wam to produce a sudden release of energy, which may not be possible. I don't think you can destroy the world with just a massive number of devices plugged into an infinite power strip.

If you just want to destroy everything instead of on specific target, things are a lot easier:

Scale this up (it's not exactly high tech), put it into the ocean and wait.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Heck, the show itself had the professor guy state that suddenly introducing unlimited energy to the world could have huge knock-on effects on the Earth's ecosystem if not properly managed so I'm pretty sure the show is aware of the potential for bad things to happen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

And the next episode preview looks like something bad will happen. This is a really drat compelling show.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Step 1: Infinite energy, and how to make it.
Step 2: Remove the need for sleep

Step 3: Remove need for food and water
Step 4: Babies are born in 9 days instead of months
Step 5: Babies/children make Wam, Earth is a Wam Factory

Seriously though, I'm waiting for a twist. This anime got me hooked.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm down, sleep sucks.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 13, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Heck, the show itself had the professor guy state that suddenly introducing unlimited energy to the world could have huge knock-on effects on the Earth's ecosystem if not properly managed so I'm pretty sure the show is aware of the potential for bad things to happen.

I'm pretty sure unless the energy was released at such a fast scale as to be an explosion that any extra energy added to the system would just be released naturally as heat. These things are not going to be outcompeting the sun.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Step 1: Infinite energy, and how to make it.
Step 2: Remove the need for sleep

Step 3: Remove need for food and water
Step 4: Babies are born in 9 days instead of months
Step 5: Babies/children make Wam, Earth is a Wam Factory

Seriously though, I'm waiting for a twist. This anime got me hooked.

I'm not sure why that would be a goal considering that you only need one pair of Wam to get things done, any extra are just convenience until you have proper infrastructure built to use a single set of Wam.

Anyway, there were some not so subtle hints to where I think this is going, Koujirou's mom alluded to it.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not sure why that would be a goal considering that you only need one pair of Wam to get things done, any extra are just convenience until you have proper infrastructure built to use a single set of Wam.

That's the only use of Wam that the people were told. :tinfoil:

I half-watched when the Mom was on so I guess i'd better rewatch that part.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

That's the only use of Wam that the people were told. :tinfoil:

I half-watched when the Mom was on so I guess i'd better rewatch that part.

Ditto. Upon rewatching the scene, even if they're laying it on thick, I'm still interested in the details to come.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I never knew I could be so excited about watching a block roll down the road.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

You have to appreciate that they went through the effort of

actually drawing and coming up with a logical? route for Kado even thought that was completely unnecessary for the series.

Kado/w/e might not be malevolent. But at some point you're losing what it means to be human and that is the same as killing them off.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
KADO is a Non-aggressive Hegemonizing Swarm. Soon we will all be one with KADO.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

He says specifically that they should constantly be questioning whether he is friend or foe. I think those instructions apply to the audience as well.

Through forced advancement, he is guiding the evolution of humanity according to his own beliefs and values. By accepting all this, humans are exchanging their own identity and chance for self-growth for power.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Dessel posted:

Kado/w/e might not be malevolent. But at some point you're losing what it means to be human and that is the same as killing them off.

I mean, it wasn't too long ago, historically speaking, that we were saying that humans weren't meant to fly and talking about the hubris of Icarus, as if many people don't routinely fly across the planet in a few days. I'm willing to take the risk, because I don't rate the idea that "sleep" is the threshold for "posthuman horror end of days" highly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Reach heaven through insomnia.

• Locked thread