Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Recap episode this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tamba posted:

Recap episode this week

Why do they do that?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Someone in the production chain screwed up. Watch Shirobako for details.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was scheduled before airing

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Isn't it too early for a recap episode, it's really not hard to remember what happened so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there has been more discussion in the show about things that happened than things happening.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The only recap that matters:

Qwertycoatl posted:

Alien: :wom:
Japan's toughest negotiator: He means he wants to give us unlimited free energy
Japan's other toughest negotiator: OK.

~fin~

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I don't have time to watch the new episode right now, can someone tell me if it had any new scenes? considering skipping it

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

RottenK posted:

I don't have time to watch the new episode right now, can someone tell me if it had any new scenes? considering skipping it

naw you're safe

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think this is my favorite show of this season. Hot blooded scientist and all.

I'm sad that Canada did not show up in the UN though.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Blhue posted:

naw you're safe

Thank you :)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SystemLogoff posted:

america's hat is just fine being represented by america

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SystemLogoff posted:

In the dark future, there is no Canada.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
I'm selling at Megacon next weekend (I do original jewelry and things) and I hope I see someone walking around as Yaha-kui with some fake arms-on-sticks doing derpy odd things. The potential for weird photos is too great.

On a serious note, I really really want to know if this show means "you should think, so I'm deliberately testing you" or "you should think, but that's because I consider it necessary for the process". It does seem like we're being presented with changes that could, philosophically, make people no longer human, but I wonder if the show actually considers it bad; it seems like the show instead is focusing on the way that Shindou and Yahakui are together turning Yahakui's goals (which seem presented as inscrutable, but having a valid purpose) into a form that humans can accept them (hence, the whole negotiation emphasis).

Also, I wonder how Childhood's End this will end up being. It doesn't seem like the show's scope is so long-ranging, but the end goal there was definitely to advance humankind out of the real universe.

junopsis fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 21, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This was a really interesting episode. The special effects were even a bit disorienting, which was an impressive feat.

I'm curious as to what the consequences of the being becoming more human will be. Will he experience negative emotions and act irrationally at some point? How far will the pushback from the humans go? Will society accept the changes, or is humanity too unyielding? Is this even beneficial for improving the human experience, or does it simply destroy what it means to be human instead? There are lots of great questions here.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I think this episode was a good showcase for why they chose to go full CG for the series.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

you notice how everyone who came back out of the cube has red corners to their eyes like zashahui?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Condiv posted:

you notice how everyone who came back out of the cube has red corners to their eyes like zashahui?

Maybe it's related to the effects of the Sansa.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'm pretty convinced that wasn't actually the Shindo we've been following from episodes 1-6 talking. No way he would just hand some sort of crazy memevirus over to Google without a bunch of contracts and harsh stipulations, that's just far too irresponsible.

When the journalists were talking about their "other selves," I think that's the truth of what's going on--the Shindo that's very gung-ho about letting Yaha-kui spread his tentacles all over humanity is the Anisotropic Shindo "woken up" at the end of episodes 6; our Shindo was on his sleeping shift. Natsume is going to confront him about what he did with the Sansa and he's going to be confused because she's confronting the person she knows, not the extradimensional self leaking into a world where it should not exist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Condiv posted:

they were like that in episode 0.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So they have a way to parallelize thoughts, and the best use case they can come up with is "increasing productivity by not having to sleep"?

They should have given it to the google guy, not reporters.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Tamba posted:

So they have a way to parallelize thoughts, and the best use case they can come up with is "increasing productivity by not having to sleep"?

They should have given it to the google guy, not reporters.

:lol: if u don't parallel sleep/think/eat already

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Even if people can still choose to sleep, the first thing that comes to mind when the need for sleep is eliminated is that biglaw associates will now be required to work an actual 168-hour workweek. No more excuses!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paracelsus posted:

Even if people can still choose to sleep, the first thing that comes to mind when the need for sleep is eliminated is that biglaw associates will now be required to work an actual 168-hour workweek. No more excuses!

don't worry, their other selves are enjoying leisure time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how is this

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
good

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

eonwe posted:

how is this

weird but good, well paced and interesting

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm pretty convinced that wasn't actually the Shindo we've been following from episodes 1-6 talking. No way he would just hand some sort of crazy memevirus over to Google without a bunch of contracts and harsh stipulations, that's just far too irresponsible.

When the journalists were talking about their "other selves," I think that's the truth of what's going on--the Shindo that's very gung-ho about letting Yaha-kui spread his tentacles all over humanity is the Anisotropic Shindo "woken up" at the end of episodes 6; our Shindo was on his sleeping shift. Natsume is going to confront him about what he did with the Sansa and he's going to be confused because she's confronting the person she knows, not the extradimensional self leaking into a world where it should not exist.

I'm not sure of anything thats going on yet (which is actually really cool), but it was pretty suspicious that one of the versions of reporter-guy smirked right at the end of that vision. I can still see this plot going into Yaha-whatever being sinister.

Its like every other story has primed me to expect a twist here, because its just way too clean for humanity to actually be uplifted no strings attached. Its always some bs parable about how we should just accept what we already have, even though the world sucks and has tons of problems. I kind of don't know how to feel if it is just straight up benevolence.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Nephthys posted:

I kind of don't know how to feel if it is just straight up benevolence.

That'd be pretty great because "actually there's no twist" is a twist on its own by now, and also a story about humanity being uplifted by a benevolent but alien creature that struggles with understanding us is interesting in its own right.

I'm all for spending the rest of the season watching anisotropic Jesus and the human race interact with and react to each other.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RottenK posted:

That'd be pretty great because "actually there's no twist" is a twist on its own by now, and also a story about humanity being uplifted by a benevolent but alien creature that struggles with understanding us is interesting in its own right.

I'm all for spending the rest of the season watching anisotropic Jesus and the human race interact with and react to each other.

One thing about this show that I dislike is that although they take a rational approach to their discussion, there are a hell of a lot of fundamental questions that no one is asking (at least on screen). Such as, "how well do you comprehend human culture?", "Why are you doing this now, and why so rapidly?", "Are there many of your kind?", "What is the roadmap for your whole plan?". You'd think a rational superbeing wouldn't be so hamfisted with the execution.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I like this. It's a little weird and fun.

One thing that I particularly appreciate is the visitor's understated and dry sense of teasing/mocking.

But that and some of the philosophies discussed, such as "continue to think and consider, thinking is good" and the visitor's stated goal of enhancing humanity, makes me extremely suspicious that this is gonna end up as a straight buddha story. It makes me feel rudely reductionist but lets face it, western media plays the "hes metaphorically jesus" card at least once a summer. It wouldnt be unprecidented.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Those are all reasonable concerns. Maybe they don't have a chance to ask him much? He has specific goals that he announces, and he doesn't really interact with people without consulting Shindo or having him present, it's possible that Japanese representatives aren't asking him questions that aren't directly related to whatever's his topic of the day out of worry that this will somehow throw a wrench into the negotiations?

Or maybe the plot just doesn't care, that's possible too.

I read 4chan discussions about KADO, and apparently in the spin-off manga Shindo did ask the alien about his true goals, but Yaha-kui politely dodged the question with a platitude.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
"Humanity desires information!"

"Ok yeah sure. But one sec. First take a look at this weird thing."

:wom: :wom: :wom:

"Whoa this thing is weird as gently caress, hahahaha. Now I don't have to sleep and I can also offload cognitive tasks to my other selves. Cool! Ok bye now."

Master plan successful apparently.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 28, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nathilus posted:

"Humanity desires information!"

"Ok yeah sure. But one sec. First take a look at this weird thing."

:wom: :wom: :wom:

"Whoa this thing is weird as gently caress, hahahaha. Now I don't have to sleep and I can also offload cognitive tasks to my other selves. Cool! Ok bye now."

Master plan successful apparently.

What if this is just a huge galactic prank show?

"And then....and then I gave them a sansa and told them they could use it to connect with their "extra-dimensional selves"! You should have seen their faces! They were so high they started to puke, and then they decided to broadcast it to the entire planet! It was a riot."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If a human has seen the sansa, is s/he still truly a human?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

nielsm posted:

If a human has seen the sansa, is s/he still truly a human?

What is a human? (manga spoilers do not click) A miserable little pile of secrets.

Dessel posted:

But at some point you're losing what it means to be human and that is the same as killing them off.

But seriously, gently caress that noise. If I had the choice between being a neanderthal or a modern human I'd happily become a modern human, even if that did mean killing off neanderthals. So long as actions continue to be taken in the best interest of humanity/those who were originally human, all is well.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
What it means to be human is really vague and "i know it when i see it" currently. I think the value a lot of people put on being human mostly stems from the fact that humans are the only sapient beings we know, if we knew of other beings that we would recognise as persons then "human" would suddenly take a back seat to "person". So screw being human if there is a better option.

For the technologies that don't alter the self it's even more clear-cut. Would you really be able to tell a bunch of people "Sorry, you can't have a wam-powered desalination plant. My sense of authenticity is more important that you having food and water"?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bistromatic posted:

For the technologies that don't alter the self it's even more clear-cut. Would you really be able to tell a bunch of people "Sorry, you can't have a wam-powered desalination plant. My sense of authenticity is more important that you having food and water"?

Precisely. My only concerns with Wam are security (Can these things explode, power weapons?) and economic (Energy generation no longer a source of income will kill countries). Likewise with the Sansa, employee protections are going to be much more important, and wars are going to be far more hellish with no soldiers or workers needing to sleep.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's also not clear what the long-term psychological effects of not dreaming are, even if the sansa appears to neutralize the problems caused by lack of REM sleep. And even if it really does keep your brain from degrading by actively maintaining it, the notion of an engineered device, which could potentially have hidden functions or allow for someone to mess with it, controlling my neurological functions is deeply disturbing. Plus a lich has to keep a close eye on their phylactery for all eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Paracelsus posted:

It's also not clear what the long-term psychological effects of not dreaming are, even if the sansa appears to neutralize the problems caused by lack of REM sleep. And even if it really does keep your brain from degrading by actively maintaining it, the notion of an engineered device, which could potentially have hidden functions or allow for someone to mess with it, controlling my neurological functions is deeply disturbing. Plus a lich has to keep a close eye on their phylactery for all eternity.

I don't think it's supposed to work like that. It doesn't control your neurological functions, it just makes you recognize the other dimensions and develop an innate sense for it. Kind of like an optical illusion where once you see the hidden picture, it never goes away.

• Locked thread