Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

He says specifically that they should constantly be questioning whether he is friend or foe. I think those instructions apply to the audience as well.

Through forced advancement, he is guiding the evolution of humanity according to his own beliefs and values. By accepting all this, humans are exchanging their own identity and chance for self-growth for power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tamba posted:

Recap episode this week

Why do they do that?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SystemLogoff posted:

I think this is my favorite show of this season. Hot blooded scientist and all.

I'm sad that Canada did not show up in the UN though.

In the dark future, there is no Canada.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This was a really interesting episode. The special effects were even a bit disorienting, which was an impressive feat.

I'm curious as to what the consequences of the being becoming more human will be. Will he experience negative emotions and act irrationally at some point? How far will the pushback from the humans go? Will society accept the changes, or is humanity too unyielding? Is this even beneficial for improving the human experience, or does it simply destroy what it means to be human instead? There are lots of great questions here.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Condiv posted:

you notice how everyone who came back out of the cube has red corners to their eyes like zashahui?

Maybe it's related to the effects of the Sansa.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RottenK posted:

That'd be pretty great because "actually there's no twist" is a twist on its own by now, and also a story about humanity being uplifted by a benevolent but alien creature that struggles with understanding us is interesting in its own right.

I'm all for spending the rest of the season watching anisotropic Jesus and the human race interact with and react to each other.

One thing about this show that I dislike is that although they take a rational approach to their discussion, there are a hell of a lot of fundamental questions that no one is asking (at least on screen). Such as, "how well do you comprehend human culture?", "Why are you doing this now, and why so rapidly?", "Are there many of your kind?", "What is the roadmap for your whole plan?". You'd think a rational superbeing wouldn't be so hamfisted with the execution.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nathilus posted:

"Humanity desires information!"

"Ok yeah sure. But one sec. First take a look at this weird thing."

:wom: :wom: :wom:

"Whoa this thing is weird as gently caress, hahahaha. Now I don't have to sleep and I can also offload cognitive tasks to my other selves. Cool! Ok bye now."

Master plan successful apparently.

What if this is just a huge galactic prank show?

"And then....and then I gave them a sansa and told them they could use it to connect with their "extra-dimensional selves"! You should have seen their faces! They were so high they started to puke, and then they decided to broadcast it to the entire planet! It was a riot."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Paracelsus posted:

It's also not clear what the long-term psychological effects of not dreaming are, even if the sansa appears to neutralize the problems caused by lack of REM sleep. And even if it really does keep your brain from degrading by actively maintaining it, the notion of an engineered device, which could potentially have hidden functions or allow for someone to mess with it, controlling my neurological functions is deeply disturbing. Plus a lich has to keep a close eye on their phylactery for all eternity.

I don't think it's supposed to work like that. It doesn't control your neurological functions, it just makes you recognize the other dimensions and develop an innate sense for it. Kind of like an optical illusion where once you see the hidden picture, it never goes away.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wasn't especially fond of her argument against moving forward. Cultural exchange is a natural facet of humanity that we've engaged in since before we were even fully human. To say that what we have now is fine is an incredibly myopic viewpoint. Sure, the outcome might destroy humanity, but that's likely to happen regardless of interference.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Well that went in an interesting direction. The characterization seems kind of... off though.

Shindo is definitely not living up to his reputation as a negotiator. He refuses to press ZaShunina on important questions and just goes along with whatever he wants.

Worse, despite claiming to respect the autonomy of humans, he decides to kill Shindo the moment he shows the slightest bit of hesitation about entering a higher universe?

edit: Actually, I think what annoys me the most is that this entire story could have been resolved with five minutes of discussion between people who were actually competent:

"Oh hey humanity, I'm ZaShunina, and I come from a place outside the universe. So I know this is a major revelation, but your universe is basically on one of many servers that we designed because we were bored. The outside universe processes things really quickly, so we ran out of information to process, and started generating random permutations of reality to see what would happen. Out of nowhere, you guys popped up and started creating new data! We're not really gods since this was a complete accident, but we think it's pretty cool and we want you to keep doing your thing. I brought some cool odds and ends from my garage that we think you could use to do neat things with, and all we want in exchange is to keep monitoring you. Also, if any of you are qualified, we'd love to have some human consultants come back with us and shake things up a bit. I'll be in my box if you have any questions. Also, sorry about the plane crash, that was a total accident and I'll release them all in a month once they're safely able to do so."

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 9, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

C-SPAN Caller posted:

That left turn loving sucked holy poo poo my philosophical first contact show turned onto loving anime bs

It's like they had an interesting premise and gave up for the follow-through.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Za does not seem to be very intelligent.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RangerKarl posted:

I paused on watching this show after they moved the cube and now I'm not so certain I want to pick it back up.

It's manages to build up some interesting suspense before abruptly falling off a cliff.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

booksnake posted:

NEGOTIATION HAS FAILED

(I prefer the argument that "humanity is a child, and you're giving them fire, and they're going to burn their loving house down" and less "what humanity does on its own is special" even if we now know why the show considers it special)

From a purely pragmatic, alien perspective, it makes sense that you would want to allow humans to live independently. Influencing them might result in damaging their cultures and therefore their value as a source of novel information. If they were to align their values with the anisotropic, then they would no longer be different.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It still makes absolutely zero sense that he hasn't simply asked for volunteers. His actions seem nonsensical in light of his motivations, so I just found this episode confusing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't really understand what this show is going for. what was up with all the pretending it was about negotiation when no one ever negotiated at all?

Right? Anyone with sense would've flipped their poo poo the moment the alien decided to reconfigure the power grid as a demonstration without asking or explaining what he was doing first.

What was the point of episode zero if negotiation has become irrelevant?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I thought they were actually going to bring it back around with the metalworkers and actually engaging in negotiations somehow. But it just looks like they're going to punch each other in front of fractal screensavers.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Apparently the right answer was to shed your humanity and willingly become an extradimensional being at the cost of most of your race.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe he's going to wordlessly negotiate by locking lips with him.

"This...this is what it means to be human, ZaShunina!"

".... Absolutely disgusting. I'm going home and flipping the switch on this poo poo."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was...interesting only because of how nonsensical that was. Someone actually wrote out that entire script and said yeah, that makes sense, let's send it to production.

Why would the anisotropic devices stop working without kado? The whole point was that ZaShunina revealed underlying principles of physics that allowed them to take advantage of the devices.

Unless somehow the poo poo he gave them were effectively backdoored bootlegs that only worked with his permission.

It seemed more like ZaShunina just went insane from his exposure to humanity...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The ending would've been better if some other beings showed up and gave him a scolding for disobeying the others.

"He stole our what? Geeze, sorry about that guys. Kids, what can I say? You're going home now"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RottenK posted:

what's the point of reading a thread about a show that you don't watch, especially if you quit it early on

Sometimes the poster reactions are more entertaining than the actual show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dragonatrix posted:

So, uh, I just finished episode 9 and by all accounts I should probably just finish it at this point but man. The instant Hanamori asked Tsukai about her ring, I could tell it was going to finally be relevant... just, uh, not for "so, what if we decided to just be a low-effort version of the second half of Gurren Lagann now?"

Like, okay fine, I would probably be less annoyed by "oh by the way, Tsukai is secretly also an anisotropic being and also literally the creator of this universe!" if that didn't completely make every single thing she's said and done before now even hollower, irrelevant and somehow more contradictory than I thought possible. What even was the point of 99% of everything that happened during the lead-up to this, even within this one episode?

It gets worse.

• Locked thread