Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There are other possibilities to consider, like that he might allow human tech to become dependant on the marbles to the exclusion of other centralized power sources (it doesn't do much for car/laptop/phone power unless every single device ends up containing enough power to run all civilization) and then say "oh by the way I can shut those off whenever I feel like it so you'd best do whatever I say."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dessel posted:

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would actually make this decision, Even assuming infinite resources and no strife people will have resentment towards each other and Jesus Christ those things can destroy the entire planet by one angry person with enough resources (Probably nowhere as many as producing a single nuclear warhead).

Until people start developing laser weapons that can handle massive throughput without burning out the components, that all depends on whether you can destabilize a Wam to produce a sudden release of energy, which may not be possible. I don't think you can destroy the world with just a massive number of devices plugged into an infinite power strip.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Even if people can still choose to sleep, the first thing that comes to mind when the need for sleep is eliminated is that biglaw associates will now be required to work an actual 168-hour workweek. No more excuses!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's also not clear what the long-term psychological effects of not dreaming are, even if the sansa appears to neutralize the problems caused by lack of REM sleep. And even if it really does keep your brain from degrading by actively maintaining it, the notion of an engineered device, which could potentially have hidden functions or allow for someone to mess with it, controlling my neurological functions is deeply disturbing. Plus a lich has to keep a close eye on their phylactery for all eternity.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ValhallaSmith posted:

I wonder how many time ZaShunina has murdered Shindo? Maybe all the conversations they have had have gone badly at first.

If this one triggered the other anisotropic being's ring, presumably the other times would have done so as well, which doesn't seem to have happened.

• Locked thread