Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

[

Shindou is a highly-skilled negotiator working for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. As his plane at Haneda airport prepares to take off, a huge mysterious cube appears from the sky. A strange being called Yaha-kui zaShunina appears from within and tries to make contact with humanity. Shindou, who was been absorbed by Kado, ends up taking on the role of mediator between Yaha-kui zaShunina and humanity.

Yaha-kui zaShunina
Appears with the giant cube, KADO. Has come from "outside the universe" and wants to advance humanity.

Koujirou Shindou
Gets absorbed by KADO due to being on the plane as it appears and ends up teaming up with zaShunina to help him communicate with humanity.

Saraka Tsukai
Selected to counter-negotiate with zaShunina and Shindou.

KADO is a CG show, so if that bothers you, maybe don't watch it. That said I think the CG is done well and the show is engaging enough that I forget about it most of the time watching it.
KADO Is a story with a focus on negotiation instead of conflict, most of the episodes so far are spent talking. As another user put it in the season thread, it is a slow and methodical drama. If that sounds interesting to you, give it a chance.

There is also an "Episode 0" done in traditional animation, which focuses on Shindou's work but I don't think it's mandatory if you want to just jump straight in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I was thinking in a bit different direction. Remember, Za is only giving the beads to the Japanese government, think about how disruptive it would be to have infinite energy at the command of one nation. I think Za wants to see if the people involved can hold to the analogy he used, Za has given them more bread than they can ever eat, everyone seemed to agree that if a starving man came to their table that they would share the bread, but will Japan share? Can the human instinct towards placing oneself above others be overcome?

I think this is pretty obviously what is going on. The episode ends with him saying "Mankind, I want you to choose the right answer". The right answer would be to share the energy marbles. Or maybe reject them.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 23, 2017

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I never knew I could be so excited about watching a block roll down the road.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I think this episode was a good showcase for why they chose to go full CG for the series.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

It's too late to go back now.
Next episode looks like we're gonna get some interesting revelations.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Well there's your twist, I guess. I like it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

lol next episode will basically be TETSUOOOOOO!!!! yes? I basically had hopes with this episode what we'd go back to an ok ending, but the five last minutes clearly pointed otherwise.

---

On an unrelated note, there's one thing I've come to appreciate out of the 3d in this show : it basically makes it impossible art direction wise to include chibi and moe poo poo, so I'm all for more 3d in shows if it brings less of the later.

The 3D works really well in this show since it's relatively "low-key" in terms of movement/action, I'm a bit afraid it'll look super janky if they're gonna try and do some kind of fight scene in the last episode.
The KADO visuals continue to be really cool though.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The reveal of Shindou's daughter was stupid enough that I liked it a lot. Overall I'm glad I watched this show, even though it could have been better.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah they made a big deal about how Shindou is an incredible negotiator and that's why they were letting him negotiate for the alien but they kinda forgot about that once he started giving out toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I was expecting the daughter to be some kind of anisotropic police at first.

• Locked thread