Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I think it's pretty obvious that Za is testing humanity, there doesn't appear to be any upside to him giving us his little infinite energy generators beyond seeing how we react. Also I like the parallel between Za's pretty little glass beads and certain negotiations with the American Indians that did not turn out at all well for the party that accepted the glass beads, I have no idea if that reference is intentional but if it is it's really clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hot drat.

Yeah I've been pretty suspicious that something is a little too good to be true; I have a hard time seeing a potentially godlike being thinking just giving us free stuff is in anyway a good idea for our well being. Think about the societal ramifications being suddenly plunged into a post-scarcity society would bring; it could even be catastrophic without preptime to make the switch.

Basically I feel like, advancement we didn't earn ourselves as a civilization to at least some degree I feel like can be more damaging in the long run. It would make sense to me if he would offer to be our "tutors" to gradually get a grasp on it as it would give our society time to adapt while still speeding it up.

But it sounds like to me that his goal is a possible crossover or merger of his realm and ours; this could be potentially be very bad.

I was thinking in a bit different direction. Remember, Za is only giving the beads to the Japanese government, think about how disruptive it would be to have infinite energy at the command of one nation. I think Za wants to see if the people involved can hold to the analogy he used, Za has given them more bread than they can ever eat, everyone seemed to agree that if a starving man came to their table that they would share the bread, but will Japan share? Can the human instinct towards placing oneself above others be overcome?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

There are other possibilities to consider, like that he might allow human tech to become dependant on the marbles to the exclusion of other centralized power sources (it doesn't do much for car/laptop/phone power unless every single device ends up containing enough power to run all civilization) and then say "oh by the way I can shut those off whenever I feel like it so you'd best do whatever I say."

Well, yes he could, but I don't see why a being of such power would bother with a threat like that, if he wanted to he could cut off all power on earth at any time regardless of its source.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Step 1: Infinite energy, and how to make it.
Step 2: Remove the need for sleep

Step 3: Remove need for food and water
Step 4: Babies are born in 9 days instead of months
Step 5: Babies/children make Wam, Earth is a Wam Factory

Seriously though, I'm waiting for a twist. This anime got me hooked.

I'm not sure why that would be a goal considering that you only need one pair of Wam to get things done, any extra are just convenience until you have proper infrastructure built to use a single set of Wam.

Anyway, there were some not so subtle hints to where I think this is going, Koujirou's mom alluded to it.

• Locked thread