Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Poltergrift posted:

I mean, it wasn't too long ago, historically speaking, that we were saying that humans weren't meant to fly and talking about the hubris of Icarus, as if many people don't routinely fly across the planet in a few days.

People were convinced that if you ran faster than a 4 minute mile you would die and that bicycles would super age you. We believe all sorts of weird and dumb things when faced with new things that challenge our understanding of how things should work.

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm pretty convinced that wasn't actually the Shindo we've been following from episodes 1-6 talking. No way he would just hand some sort of crazy memevirus over to Google without a bunch of contracts and harsh stipulations, that's just far too irresponsible.

When the journalists were talking about their "other selves," I think that's the truth of what's going on--the Shindo that's very gung-ho about letting Yaha-kui spread his tentacles all over humanity is the Anisotropic Shindo "woken up" at the end of episodes 6; our Shindo was on his sleeping shift. Natsume is going to confront him about what he did with the Sansa and he's going to be confused because she's confronting the person she knows, not the extradimensional self leaking into a world where it should not exist.

Shindo hasn't been a normal human from episode 1. When he was processed by Kado he got a bunch of upgrades due to Kado not understanding humans fully before loving around with the dimensional molecules and poo poo. It's also likely that just as zaShunina is becoming more human, Shindo is becoming more anisotropic.

Also it seemed like Shindo hadn't been sleeping from before the reveal of the Sansa, as he had been ignoring the concerns of others that he needed a break or may be tired almost the entire series.

RottenK posted:

That'd be pretty great because "actually there's no twist" is a twist on its own by now, and also a story about humanity being uplifted by a benevolent but alien creature that struggles with understanding us is interesting in its own right.

I'm all for spending the rest of the season watching anisotropic Jesus and the human race interact with and react to each other.

The twist seems to be heading towards Man Was The True Monster All Along. zaShunina has been cautioning them all along to think things over and the first lesson that we learn is Shindo explaining the difference between a successful negotiation and a rushed negotiation. Two things that are being at least partially ignored. My guess is that, given zaShunina's fussing over precise communication, he really is relying on Shindo and Japanese bureaucracy to properly curb his actions when he is pushing too hard or acting incorrectly due to differences in dimensional understanding and other communication barriers.

The Prime Minister is right, all the cool things humanity is getting from zaShunina have no bearing on whether or not humanity fucks up. That's on humanity.

At least with Shindo and Tsukai drifting towards current situation philosophical extremes the negotiations might reach a better balance than

Qwertycoatl posted:

Alien: :wom:
Japan's toughest negotiator: He means he wants to give us unlimited free energy
Japan's other toughest negotiator: OK.

~fin~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread