Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
What it means to be human is really vague and "i know it when i see it" currently. I think the value a lot of people put on being human mostly stems from the fact that humans are the only sapient beings we know, if we knew of other beings that we would recognise as persons then "human" would suddenly take a back seat to "person". So screw being human if there is a better option.

For the technologies that don't alter the self it's even more clear-cut. Would you really be able to tell a bunch of people "Sorry, you can't have a wam-powered desalination plant. My sense of authenticity is more important that you having food and water"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I did not see that coming. It does make Tsukais stance much more understandable for me though.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Qwertycoatl posted:

Maybe someone should try actual negotiating

• Locked thread