Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Bistromatic posted:

What it means to be human is really vague and "i know it when i see it" currently. I think the value a lot of people put on being human mostly stems from the fact that humans are the only sapient beings we know, if we knew of other beings that we would recognise as persons then "human" would suddenly take a back seat to "person". So screw being human if there is a better option.

You could argue we aren't even the only sapient species on this planet. Elephants, apes and cetaceans certainly show many traits that were traditionally attributed only to humans.

I'm curious to see the next episode, hope they don't ruin it.

Anyway some of you might enjoy reading the novel Blindsight by Peter Watts: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
We know almost nothing about the anisotropic, except that they exist as seperate beings.

Both Wam and Sansa can be interpreted as attempts to increase the amount of information generated by humanity.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
He needs to surprise him (I did not expect information theory in my anime) to prove humanity doesn't need to be 'adjusted' to generate enough information to satisfy the anisotropic beings.

I'm going for surprise fart ending...

• Locked thread