Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i like nuclear power and thers like lots of uranium in the sea and its not hard to centrifuge the uranium out because its so heavy and also u can make fresh water from the salt water and irrigate the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
sorry but the simpsons made liberals think nuclear power is bad so now we dont get to use it

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Apr 23, 2017

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I WILL SHOVEL BABIES INTO THE NUCLEAR FURNACE IF IT STOPS GLOBAL WARMING

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nice meltdown op

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I want more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

sorry but the simpsons made liberals think nuclear power is bad so now we dont get to use it

while missing the fact that it depicted a public utility in the hands of private enterprise

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I thought Fukushima was the end of nuclear power for most people because natural disasters happen.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
aafter the next nuclear war everyone is gonna haveta be less carebare about nuclears

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I thought Fukushima was the end of nuclear power for most people because natural disasters happen.
The negative effects of fukushima was strongly overstated

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Solar power has made some real big headway but the fundamental technology hasn't really changed, it's mostly about economies of scale kicking in re:China

grid level energy storage is not economically viable, so it's either renewables + gas or renewables + nuclear

eventually something's gonna give and nukes are going to get built come hell or high water, by which I mean global warming + rising tides

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

jill stein knows that nuclear power causes autism, not like our good friends the crystals

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

rudatron posted:

The negative effects of fukushima was strongly overstated

Didn't the coal plant being taken out cause far more environment damage?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's cool how germany, because they're so concerned about public safety, shut down all their nuclear plants and replaced them with coal

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

not content with destroying europe, the jew, the euro and the EU, germany now sets its sights on mother earth herself

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

jill stein knows that nuclear power causes autism, not like our good friends the crystals

crystal power causes polio

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baloogan posted:

i like nuclear power and thers like lots of uranium in the sea and its not hard to centrifuge the uranium out because its so heavy and also u can make fresh water from the salt water and irrigate the planet

Can I say I like this pro-science bender you've been on

Also imagine if we manufactured our fossil fuels out of seawater during the slack time of a reactor's operation (11 pm 6 am) We could also just take the carbon out of the sea water and use it elsewhere

Nuclear power: it's the poo poo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think nuclear power is ok op but I would rather use all that uranium for atomic rockets.
solar has just been dumpstering on things lately though and we have 10 gazillion cu^3 of gas so uh it's probably not going anywhere for a while.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

it's cool how germany, because they're so concerned about public safety, shut down all their nuclear plants and replaced them with coal

:agreed:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm pro-nuclear power but anti-nuclear weapons

:colbert:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I would be pro nuclear power if I trusted the people who worked in the field more

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think the most damning thing about nuclear power ATM is that the nuclear Renaissance that was promised has done :effort:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Baloogan posted:

If it's not hard to centrifuge it out, why is all the research so focused on doing it with fibers?
In 2012 it was estimated to be impossible to extract more efficiently than 3 times the price of ore at the time, and the best estimate at the time was 10 times as expensive as ore. Though of course if nuclear usage goes up enough then the cost of ore will go up enough that paying ten times the 2012 ore price to extract it from seawater will be a bargain. But with that price increase on top of the base construction and disposal costs, is nuclear power even cost effective any more?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I distrust nuclear power because the I loving Love Science-ists are into it, and their smug, cult-like, infintile trust in orthodoxy is profoundly annoying

I don't understand why people are so sure that now, in 2017, we have everything "right" and have unearthed all the hidden dangers in our technologies. In the 1950's it was considered fine to hose down children with DDT. The I loving Love Science people would have been sneering at any "backwards" person who asked if the potential drawbacks of DDT outweighed the benefits.

There's a perception that people used to be dumb (leeching, phrenology, etc.) and now we are "smart," when the reality is that people back then we're just doing the best they could with the information they had, same as us.

Not saying that nuclear power is bad, just that it's okay to believe in might be.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nuclear power isn't really economically feasible in the mega long term time horizon needed for a utility to recoup billions of dollars to build one in the US. Not unless they get way cheaper to build, a large part of which generally means loosening regulation. And most people/politicians are usually in favor of regulations for nuclear power.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

im anti nuclear power, we should be using 100% of our nuclear arsenal to threaten total global devastattion at any moment we choose

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Less Power, More Bombs!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Nuclear power seems to be one of those subjects where people with very limited knowledge are OK with it, people with some knowledge are terrified of it, and people with more advanced knowledge are back to being OK with it.

At the very least, there should be a campaign to maintain our % energy production level of nuclear power by replacing older generation facilities with new.

Also: Michio Kaku is dumb.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Homeless Friend posted:

I want more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games

:same:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The nuclear owns

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I distrust nuclear power because the I loving Love Science-ists are into it, and their smug, cult-like, infintile trust in orthodoxy is profoundly annoying

While I understand your point and I agree that there are some weird people who are irrationally obsessed with the ultimate truth of contemporary orthodox scientific and medical models, you can make the argument you're making about literally anything in perpetuity. Every invention, concept, and system has potential drawbacks and may involve unforeseen consequences or costs; an obsession with those leads to stagnation (i.e. our present dependence on fossil fuel).

And on a macro-scale if any institution or group of people approaches new developments cautiously, tests their ideas rigorously, and requires a preponderance of evidence before they move forward, it's scientists. Yes, they gently caress up sometimes, but compare their methods and integrity to politicians, businessmen, and priests and they come out looking pretty good on balance.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Nuclear power isn't really economically feasible in the mega long term time horizon needed for a utility to recoup billions of dollars to build one in the US. Not unless they get way cheaper to build, a large part of which generally means loosening regulation. And most people/politicians are usually in favor of regulations for nuclear power.

look at this guy who thinks electricity generation should be for-profit

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Coal releases more radiation and is therefore better

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its both new aand clear except its not new anymore so who cares

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Badger of Basra posted:

look at this guy who thinks electricity generation should be for-profit

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

NUKES!

*click*

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

Calibanibal posted:

not content with destroying europe, the jew, the euro and the EU, germany now sets its sights on mother earth herself

if only they would set their sights on austerity

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

whomupclicklike posted:

I would be pro nuclear power if I trusted the people who worked in the field more

i trust the workers, but not capital

the us navy provides an excellent example of how safe nuclear power can be in the hands of public servants; if you can maintain a perfect safety record for reactors in loving submarines you can do it on land in normal buildings

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
“The atom bomb is a paper tiger which reactionaries use to scare people. It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.”

who said this, baloogan or a well-known communist?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Hodgepodge posted:

i trust the workers, but not capital

the us navy provides an excellent example of how safe nuclear power can be in the hands of public servants; if you can maintain a perfect safety record for reactors in loving submarines you can do it on land in normal buildings

haha you think their record is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

mister magpie posted:

haha you think their record is perfect

other than the thresher has there been any major incidents with nuclear powered boats that the navy actually caused?

• Locked thread