Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dairy Days posted:

there was another insane nuclear power idea / "design study" i forgot the name of where you basically make a huge underground cavern lined with concrete and fill it part way with water, then you detonate your old / left over nuclear bombs in it repeatedly and use the generated steam and heat to spin turbines

wouldn't this just cause an immediate giant sinkhole? where's the force from the explosion supposed to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I saw some study about squeezing coal in your hands so hard that it turns into diamonds.

Also had some pioneering research into temporal mechanics

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
nuke planets

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Condiv posted:

wouldn't this just cause an immediate giant sinkhole? where's the force from the explosion supposed to go?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Condiv posted:

love the groundwater contamination potential

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Lamebot posted:

love the groundwater contamination potential

Just do it under a reservation

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mister magpie posted:

Just do it under a reservation

Quick, somebody pitch this to Michael Bay!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Cola War has gone too far.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Don't forget Operation Plowshare, wherein we'd use nuclear weapons for civil construction projects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plowshare

Need a new harbor? Just detonate a bunch of nuclear bombs!

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
if radiation didn't exist that would kick rear end

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

resar posted:

If radiation didn't exist we wouldn't​ have radio

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If people's fleshy meatsacks were less vulnerable to cancer caused by ionizing radiation, we'd probably have nuke cars and space colonies and poo poo by now.

Naked mole rats are pretty good at dna repair, I think, so just count your blessings that we got intelligence faster than they did, or space would be full of them.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 07:39 on May 2, 2017

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

resar posted:

If we had non ionizable DNA.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

rudatron posted:

If people's fleshy meatsacks were less vulnerable to cancer caused by ionizing radiation, we'd probably have nuke cars and space colonies and poo poo by now.

Naked mole rats are pretty good at dna repair, I think, so just count your blessings that we got intelligence faster than they did, or space would be full of them.

That would be an extreme version of rolling coal.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

from a biological angle it's kind of doubtful anything with a DNA repair scheme much more elaborate than our own would have ever had the spare energy to get big brains and flexible niche behaviors the way we have. DNA repair is an energy-intensive process, and the one we have is really drat good for the few resources it requires. single mutations are handled by a backup copy, and double-mutations that corrupt both copies can be repaired through end-joining. it could be more effective a couple of ways, but all those ways require either some really serious glucose and lipid input (and therefore hurt our chances to survive mundane famine) or some really funky chemistry that makes our homeostasis a lot easier to shock. naked mole rats basically went the former route, but the extra energy they put into hostile environment survival left relatively little left over for brain size. brains are insanely energy hungry.

prly doesn't matter in the long run, CRISPR will likely allow you to back up an idealized version of your DNA and allow you to undergo an IV treatment forcing it back into your body like a memetic virus in 30 years or something

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Coolguye posted:

from a biological angle it's kind of doubtful anything with a DNA repair scheme much more elaborate than our own would have ever had the spare energy to get big brains and flexible niche behaviors the way we have. DNA repair is an energy-intensive process, and the one we have is really drat good for the few resources it requires. single mutations are handled by a backup copy, and double-mutations that corrupt both copies can be repaired through end-joining. it could be more effective a couple of ways, but all those ways require either some really serious glucose and lipid input (and therefore hurt our chances to survive mundane famine) or some really funky chemistry that makes our homeostasis a lot easier to shock. naked mole rats basically went the former route, but the extra energy they put into hostile environment survival left relatively little left over for brain size. brains are insanely energy hungry.

prly doesn't matter in the long run, CRISPR will likely allow you to back up an idealized version of your DNA and allow you to undergo an IV treatment forcing it back into your body like a memetic virus in 30 years or something

Non trump admin naked mole rat question: why did naked mole rats need special DNA repair?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

good goddamn question! i certainly don't know the answer, i'm not even familiar with any theories that have been advanced to explain it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
radium gas is my best guess

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baloogan posted:

radium gas is my best guess

I'm reading the wikipedia article and the biology involved is well beyond my crush depth

The mole rat is such an odd clusterfuck of an animal - it has a social structure like ants or bees, can survive in environments very high in CO2, and doesn't have pain receptors in its skin

I can see why mutated ones appear in Fallout

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
living underground changes an organism. just look at baloogan.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

can you guys hurry up and do this already? my state is in a recession & has heaps of uranium

mags
May 30, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

living underground changes an organism. just look at baloogan.

the morlocks all descended from someone

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Coolguye posted:

bro have you ever heard of petos paradox

not saying that elephants are particularly radiation resistant but they are deffo cancer resistant which is what matters anyway

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

not saying that elephants are particularly radiation resistant but they are deffo cancer resistant which is what matters anyway

i'm not following what this has to do with the post you're quoting

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mister magpie posted:

Nuke plants more like puke plants

it is all stereotypically green and stuff

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i read that as Pestos Paradox which is that there's no difference between good and bad pesto

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK this is hilarious:

The state of Georgia wanted to build two new nuclear reactors at a nuclear complex known as "Vogtle". South Carolina also wanted two new nuke plants. In 2007 construction of these plants started, with figurative nuclear giant Westinghouse dreaming of build all four plants as "modules" greatly reducing construction costs. The contractors for this are Toshiba, which bought Westinghouse (the company that popularized AC electricity!!) and another construction firm named Chicago Bridge & Iron Co . With energy prices spiking and worries about global warming, there was a shitload of federal cash to subsidize this project. These next generation plants were going to be more efficient and use interchangeable parts, driving down costs. It was supposed to be start of a atomic power renaissance

It is now 2017. The plants are half finished and billions overbudget. Georgia has been "pre-billing" its customers to pay for the expansion for years, and will presumably continue to do so after the project is done. Westinghouse has declared bankruptcy. Toshiba is taking billions in losses.

there are reasons for this

• Some sort of Louisiana swamp magnate bought the company that used to do lots of nuclear plants, Stone & Webster Inc. They of course were just a hollow shell of what they once were, having no plants to construct for the past 30 years.
  • Swamp magnate manages to use the name of Stone and Webster to land a shitton of construction contracts
  • Big surprise, Swamp magnate sucks at building nuclear reactors, as does Stone & Webster, having in essence forgotten how to do it
  • Swamp thing sells his construction company to Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. for 3.3 billion in 2012
  • Three years later, Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. sells swamp thing construction company to Westinghouse/Toshiba for 230 million
  • Apparently even this was too much, and Toshiba accused Chicago Bridge of inflating the value of swamp thing construction by 2 billion or so
  • Sues, court case, renegotiation, etc
  • Meanwhile, all sorts of new regulations get thrown up, complicating construction
  • and constant mistakes in construction mean expensive things are done wrong and have to be redone
  • Westinghouse takes on all the liabilities all these delays cause, something it extremely regrets and these penalties and debts drive it into bankruptcy
  • MOAR pure comedy: the price of electricity has declined quite a bit thanks to the 2008 + economic catasterfuck so these costs will have to be absorbed over a much longer time period

TL,DR: People tried building a bunch of nuke plants and it turned out very poorly, suddenly people are all like "renewables, eh?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/business/westinghouse-toshiba-nuclear-bankruptcy.html?_r=0
http://www.myajc.com/business/plant-vogtle-georgia-nuclear-renaissance-now-financial-quagmire/5l16IFMFICknSCeI7RXG6J/
http://www.economist.com/news/business/21719836-global-nuclear-power-industry-beset-problems-westinghouse-files-bankruptcy
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-13/toshiba-s-nuclear-reactor-mess-winds-back-to-a-louisiana-swamp

mags
May 30, 2008

I was at a show and some guys said I looked like a dude in a band. asked me about myself. asked about NUCLEAR POWER when I mentioned my old job.

it's amazing how much NUCLEAR POWER knowledge you can remember while high.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mister magpie posted:

I was at a show and some guys said I looked like a dude in a band. asked me about myself. asked about NUCLEAR POWER when I mentioned my old job.

it's amazing how much NUCLEAR POWER knowledge you can remember while high.

And you won't risk breaking national security for the amusement of several random strangers ITT :sulks:

mags
May 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

And you won't risk breaking national security for the amusement of several random strangers ITT :sulks:

I didn't mentioned classified stuff. just how it works. any fool can look it up.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mister magpie posted:

I didn't mentioned classified stuff. just how it works. any fool can look it up.

I know

I just never pass up a chance to sulk

Question, what's the best part to describe while stoned? Reactor PW loops heating outside loops?

mags
May 30, 2008

hot rock make steam boat go

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Orb-Bed Reactor looking good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nuclear power is totally safe unless you're extremely dumb with it, and we've proven repeatedly that we are

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"hey bill this new backup system seems to be triggering every single failsafe when we try to test it"

"then our path is clear: shut down the failsafes"

"what"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Yinlock posted:

"hey bill this new backup system seems to be triggering every single failsafe when we try to test it"

"what"

lftr

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yinlock posted:

"what"

that happened once

It was really bad, obviously, but still

mags
May 30, 2008

it's still melting down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

We build first a sarcophagus for it that inspired some visuals in Half-Life 2. Then an international consortium spent large amounts of money building a shelter for it that was so challenging and high tech PBS made an hour long documentary on the subject and I watched it

• Locked thread