Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

mister magpie posted:

it's still melting down

ddon't sign my posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

crazy cloud posted:

ddon't sign my posts

lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mister magpie posted:

hot rock make steam boat go

i think with careful observation you'll discover that the consumed happiness and souls make the boat go

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Nebakenezzer posted:

We build first a sarcophagus for it that inspired some visuals in Half-Life 2. Then an international consortium spent large amounts of money building a shelter for it that was so challenging and high tech PBS made an hour long documentary on the subject and I watched it

I hear they finished moving it into place in the last month or so.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We got the STALKER games out of Chernobyl at least. Also a lot of cool urban exploration pictures and vids of crazy people climbing around inside the sarcophagus.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

We got the STALKER games out of Chernobyl at least. Also a lot of cool urban exploration pictures and vids of crazy people climbing around inside the sarcophagus.

I finished a run through Call of Pripyat the other day and I'm closing in on the end of Clear Sky, and can unambiguously say that the franchise alone justifies nuclear poweralso the Tarkovsky movie and Strugatsky book are pretty awesome too in their own right.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RhpWdeEcTk&t=45s

also nuclear power owns atoms own lets get to it already.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really don't like the linear metro games

mags
May 30, 2008

cancer owns but I'm a gemini

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
i just cant trust wind power as safe

not in my back yard

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lamebot posted:

love the groundwater contamination potential

Probably not worse then fracking tbqh.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
great news for nuclear power fans!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/01/three-mile-island-cancers/359995001/

quote:

A new Penn State Medical Center study has found a link between the 1979 Three Mile Island nuclear accident and thyroid cancer cases in south-central Pennsylvania.

The study marks the first time the partial meltdown of Unit 2's reactor can be connected to specific cancer cases, the researchers have said.

The findings may pose a dramatic challenge to the nuclear energy industry's position that the radiation released had no effect on human health.

mags
May 30, 2008

amazed it took this long since i assumed any increase in radiation would ofc raise cancer rates

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lol that was 40 years ago

now do one for fracking runoff

mags
May 30, 2008

Fullhouse posted:

lol that was 40 years ago

now do one for fracking runoff

coal plant exhaust

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Everybody knows that mercury and heavy metals like chromium in coal smoke are super bad for you, there's nothing to confirm

If you needed to confirm it, you could just spend a week in China

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Welp, a few people may have had an increased risk of thyroid cancer. We better not chance this any more, no matter what.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

Everybody knows that mercury and heavy metals like chromium in coal smoke are super bad for you, there's nothing to confirm

If you needed to confirm it, you could just spend a week in China

but what about Clean Coal

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fullhouse posted:

but what about Clean Coal

I think if you reacted coal in a fuel cell you'd get power and keep all the nasty stuff contained; burning it? No, just no

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

From the actual article:

quote:

A population size of ∼500,000 individuals with lifetime follow-up would be required to detect a significant increase in cancer deaths assuming the 25-mrem likely exposure for individuals living within 5 miles of the plant.

Their test group was only 15 people.

mister magpie posted:

amazed it took this long since i assumed any increase in radiation would ofc raise cancer rates

This is false.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Truth: coal power plants release far more radiation than nuclear ones

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
solar plants rely on a natural fusion reaction that has given millions, possibly billions of people radiation burns and is responsible for most skin cancers i think

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

like I'm gonna take the word of Big Radiation on anything regarding the subject. go shill elsewhere

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baloogan posted:

solar plants rely on a natural fusion reaction that has given millions, possibly billions of people radiation burns and is responsible for most skin cancers i think

That's true

Sun? Not in my backyard!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's true

Sun? Not in my backyard!

I demand we do something about this solar menace. I don't trust atoms running around loose!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's true

Sun? Not in my backyard!

the left blames carbon dioxide for global warming, while planning to harvest energy from the true culprit- the SUN

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
i say we nuke the sun, show it who's boss around here :clint:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hodgepodge posted:

i say we nuke the sun, show it who's boss around here :clint:

tbf, if humanity were ever to have the knowledge and capability to destroy the sun, at that point we'd be pretty king poo poo of the galaxy, which I feel qualifies as "boss around here."

mags
May 30, 2008

Irradiation posted:

This is false.

lol

mags
May 30, 2008

Irradiation posted:

From the actual article:

Their test group was only 15 people.

This is false.

nucular succ zone

mags
May 30, 2008

somatic exposure doesn't increase cancer rates, who knew?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Dad gamma ray, so what?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i remember an argument that applying a (very) moderate dose of radiation could be a net positive for health

nuclear spas... "living the dream"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Dad gray, so what?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Baloogan posted:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

PleasingFungus posted:

i remember an argument that applying a (very) moderate dose of radiation could be a net positive for health

nuclear spas... "living the dream"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Great article about the USS Savanah, the US's only nuclear powered cargo vessel and Cold War as gently caress.

Seriously, look at the pictures of the interior. The dining room is like something out of Fallout.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/aboard-the-ns-savannah-americas-first-and-last-nuclear-merchant-ship/

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
has anyone posted about Thorium yet?

because I'm thinking of changing my name back to Thorium and resuming my duties to remind people about LFTRs whenever possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
also has anyone posted that awesome study that shows exposure to low yet significant levels of ionizing radiation is actually good for you because it stimulates your cell repair mechanisms to keep your DNA fresh and minty?

• Locked thread