Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

moving magnets near spools of copper wire is counterrevolutionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
best power

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
do we seriously have a calf here who is not taking for granted that we should all obviously perpetuate the endless mindless stampede, asks cattle unable to conceptualize anything but spriting itself to death

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

*dismounts horse* sorry what was that? *inserts ear trumpet*

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Badger of Basra posted:

do we have an actual honest to god primitivist itt

we have several iirc

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Badger of Basra posted:

i want to die of a preventable disease at the ripe old age of 35

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
poo poo good poitn

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kurtofan posted:

not me, i want to die painfully of cancer at the age of 55, having worked my whole life and never having retired

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
i'd like to die of radiation-related illness after the local nuclear power plant goes chernobyl because all the homer simpson rear end STEM fratboys at the plant were too hungover from the office christmas party the night before and were too hungover to prevent it. at least, I will say with my last breath and an ear-to-ear satisfied grin, everyone was able to fully charge their iphone anytime they wanted

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

powerful legacy tbh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

crazy cloud posted:

i'd like to die of radiation-related illness after the local nuclear power plant goes chernobyl because all the homer simpson rear end STEM fratboys at the plant were too hungover from the office christmas party the night before and were too hungover to prevent it. at least, I will say with my last breath and an ear-to-ear satisfied grin, everyone was able to fully charge their iphone anytime they wanted

you probably shouldn't leave the house either

lots of bad things have happened when people were outside the home, historically

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

you probably shouldn't leave the house either

lots of bad things have happened when people were outside the home, historically

way ahead of you friend but thank you for the good suggestion

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

crazy cloud posted:

this might be a valid concern if they melted down say, as often as cspam posters. fortunately, you are more likely to die falling off a roof trying to put a solar panel on it than inhaling nuclear radiohell particles and melting into a neon green pool

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

I'd like to die of fire-related full body burns after the local campfire goes peshtigo because all the fred flinstone rear end STEM fratboys at the camp were too hungover from the tribe feast the night before and were too lethargic to prevent it, i will say with my last breath and an ear-to-ear-satisfied grin, everyone was able to eat cooked food anytime they wanted

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Dairy Days posted:

this might be a valid concern if they melted down say, as often as cspam posters. fortunately, you are more likely to die falling off a roof trying to put a solar panel on it than inhaling nuclear radiohell particles and melting into a neon green pool

i don't give one hot gay gently caress if how or when i die so the specific probabilities involved aren't super interesting to me :buddy:

the construction of the plants is electricity addict behavior on a societal scale and also partially attributable to capitalism requiring ever-increasing quarterly revenues and electricity being useful to make the numbers go up

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dairy Days posted:

you get more dosage flying on an airplane than walking around a nuclear plant

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

electricity is good, posted from my phone

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

you get more dosage flying on an airplane than walking around a nuclear plant

neoliberal what in the heck are you flying on an airplane for just don't fly on an airplane.. like hello

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
better stop eating bananas too

mags
May 30, 2008

lotsa potassium in bananas, let me tell you

mags
May 30, 2008

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/

cool interactive chart with nuclide decay types and half-lives, btw

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Badger of Basra posted:

Nah he's just kind of an idiot.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Did you know that the longer the half-life the less dangerous a material is? When people talk about nuclear waste with a half-life of millions of years that means it has like 1 fission a year per kilogram.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Salt Fish posted:

Did you know that the longer the half-life the less dangerous a material is? When people talk about nuclear waste with a half-life of millions of years that means it has like 1 fission a year per kilogram.

Yeah, "long half-lives!" is almost entirely used for fear-mongering.

mags
May 30, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Sure, if we are looking at acute dosage but we also need to consider exposure time. 1 fission per year per kg sounds extremely low, but have a large quantity of that material and a long enough exposure, somatic exposure goes up. Granted, most of the public just hears half-life and thinks it is a bad thing.

We still need to consider decay length in picking good storage sites.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mister magpie posted:

Sure, if we are looking at acute dosage but we also need to consider exposure time. 1 fission per year per kg sounds extremely low, but have a large quantity of that material and a long enough exposure, somatic exposure goes up. Granted, most of the public just hears half-life and thinks it is a bad thing.

We still need to consider decay length in picking good storage sites.

What? I think storing them in big concrete cylinders in random locations around the country that need to be guarded 24/7 indefinitely is a perfectly fine long-term plan!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

when i hear half life i think about https://lparchive.org/Half-Life-2/

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kurtofan posted:

move to america

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
hot take: technology owns

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mister magpie posted:

do u think anyone's ever fallen into a vat of bananas and died of radiation sickness?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
falling into a vat of bananas sounds like a bad euphemism

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

logikv9 posted:

falling into a vat of bananas sounds like a bad euphemism

it could happen to you

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Condiv posted:

do u think anyone's ever fallen into a vat of bananas and died of radiation sickness?

banana man has. its his origin story.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Donkey Kong is a simian terrorist who stockpiles radioactive materials in massive quantities

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

mister magpie posted:

this would be cool if i was a big brain smart guy that knew what any of this meant

mags
May 30, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this would be cool if i was a big brain smart guy that knew what any of this meant

it will tell you all of the known isotopes of an element, what its half-life is, and what type of decay it undergoes, the layout of the chart allows you to trace a decay line

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
woah woah, slow down there einstein, just tell me how any of this can help me get laid, and if not, why i should care

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

crazy cloud posted:

Your body is being filled with radio waves from cellphones, wi-fi, and radios on a constant basis. The only protection is to wrap your head, and any other part of your body you want to keep safe from the deadly radiation, in tin foil and coat your walls with a lead based paint. Also turn *off* your monitor, because its filling you with electrons at this very moment.

Stay safe luddite ghost

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Cosmic radiation is shrinking your sexual organs right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Not a Step posted:

Your body is being filled with radio waves from cellphones, wi-fi, and radios on a constant basis. The only protection is to wrap your head, and any other part of your body you want to keep safe from the deadly radiation, in tin foil and coat your walls with a lead based paint. Also turn *off* your monitor, because its filling you with electrons at this very moment.

Stay safe luddite ghost

this is projection, you'd like to attack me for being electron-averse to allow yourself to redirect away from your own electron-dependency

again I don't care about safety at all I don't think the underlying motives are healthy, relative safety of building nuclear plants aside

• Locked thread