Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

whomupclicklike posted:

And then you can use that lead for nuclear shielding, right? The whole problem solves itself?

Well, in the case of uranium, you'd have to wait a few billion years, and it's really kinda hard to separate out the lead from the uranium that hasn't turned into lead yet. Some atoms decay faster than others and we can talk about reliably predicting them in terms of large numbers. It's not so bad, since a 2.2 lbs of uranium is something like 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Well, in the case of uranium, you'd have to wait a few billion years, and it's really kinda hard to separate out the lead from the uranium that hasn't turned into lead yet. Some atoms decay faster than others and we can talk about reliably predicting them in terms of large numbers. It's not so bad, since a 2.2 lbs of uranium is something like 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms.

thats enough atoms to kill the whole universe

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
whomupclicklike: To give you an idea of the scale of waste we're talking about in terms of nuclear reactors incidentally, if you replaced EVERY coal fired power plant in the lower 48 states except one with a modern, ready-to-build-right-now nuke plant using plain jane uranium (which is arguably not even the best available fuel), you would be able to dispose of all of the waste generated by all of those reactors for the next 100 years with a single waste sarcophagus built over the site of the last coal fired power plant.

The measurable environmental disturbance at the other sites would be some hydro-engineering to provide settling ponds for the water used to cool the reactors and the associated heat pollution in the immediate area. There would be no detectable radiation, no carbon emissions, no soot, no ash, etc.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Coolguye posted:

whomupclicklike: To give you an idea of the scale of waste we're talking about in terms of nuclear reactors incidentally, if you replaced EVERY coal fired power plant in the lower 48 states except one with a modern, ready-to-build-right-now nuke plant using plain jane uranium (which is arguably not even the best available fuel), you would be able to dispose of all of the waste generated by all of those reactors for the next 100 years with a single waste sarcophagus built over the site of the last coal fired power plant.

The measurable environmental disturbance at the other sites would be some hydro-engineering to provide settling ponds for the water used to cool the reactors and the associated heat pollution in the immediate area. There would be no detectable radiation, no carbon emissions, no soot, no ash, etc.

...and no
no one is bringing nuclear back in any kind of genuine way

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

whomupclicklike posted:

I'm willing to like, have my mind changed here but I don't understand why nuclear energy is worth the risk of a disaster like Chernobyl or Fukushima? I recognize that these sort of events are incredibly uncommon and even that Fukushima probably wouldn't have happened had it not been for that tsunami.

plus, looking at the wildlife in pictures of Chernobyl, they don't seem to be monstrously hosed up by the worst nuclear accident in history. meanwhile you get poo poo like this coming out of the gulf still:

and we're already back doing offshore drilling before the damage is even close to being recovered from.

ditto the exxon oilspill. that beach is still loving contaminated and exxon never really payed out what they were supposed to

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The deaths /twh is really the only thing anyone should need to look at before we just turn off all the coal plants. Why are people so loving dumb?

Also, lol just throw that spent poo poo in the ocean wtf.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

...and no

It wouldn't hurt if you started stumping for SRS a bit more. Maybe jail (lynch? Like, SC does have a tradition of that, might as well do it to some people who deserve it) some of the assholes who stole the MoX money and get things back on track.

At least get SRNL a line item in the drat budget.

The Dipshit has issued a correction as of 14:03 on Apr 28, 2017

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
wasn't it that the Fukushima backup generators were at or below ground level, flooded by the tsunami, and that the loss of power allowed the core to overheat?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

rudatron posted:

Chernobyl was a flawed reactor design (that the designers knew about but which the plant technicians were never informed of) and fukushima wasn't nearly as bad aa the reaction to it would have you believe - the evacuation occurred as a precaution but its not as if the entire site was irradiated, it was mostly leakage into the ocean.

In terms of death per kilowatt hr, nuclear kills less people than coal, biofuels or even solar (mostly people dying when they fall off roofs). Importantly, nuclear is the only feasible non-carbon baseload that's not limited by geography (hydro is better but there's a maximum capacity to that that we've already practically reached).

Chernobyl wasn't just a flawed reactor design. It was also an idiot who had no idea what he was doing running some experiments and pushing the whole system way, way beyond it's capabilities.

A better reactor design doesn't allow for it to happen and having an actual containment building prevents the damage from spreading as much as it did, but fundamentally it was an extreme human error.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Experiment_and_explosion

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Waste is more fuel waiting to be recycled. The U.S. has a (really goddamn tiny) re processor in South Carolina that we don't use intelligently, but there is no physical reason we can't have a literal Department of Energy "Send your reactor waste here and we'll send you back some fuel". There'd be some mildly radioactive cladding that we'd have to deal with, but I think blending it with regular aluminum would dilute it to safe levels until it finished decaying.

We still haven't figured out a good way to decommission the reactors them other than "Fill that bitch in concrete". There are several old rear end reactors from the 1950s where I work that are literally mountains of concrete. Luckily concrete is pretty easy, but there are some (underfunded) DOE projects looking at doing something less dramatic than. I did a minor bit on epoxies for fixing contaminated areas in decommissioning reactors.

As for waste weapons grade radioactive stuff, we either blend some of it in with the nuclear fuel or we encase it in high temperature, fission decay, and acid resistant ceramics or glass mixes. I am literally working on a journal article on this subject, we should be able to fill the ceramic with 10% wt weapons Pu and then put it in a drum and forget about it, it's a neat project, though not super sexy science.

I work for the DOE. I'm not an authority by any means, but I know some of what is going on in one of the national labs.

There are some shut down commercial reactors that have gone back to green fields now. I've been to a few of them. You've got the relatively small storage area where they're storing the spent fuel and greater-than-class-C waste, but 90% of the old plant site is just an open field now.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Not a Step posted:

Eventually you get down to stuff thats not worth the cost of dealing with anymore. Its still radioactive and needs to be contained, but theoretically we might want to someday dig up that waste and reprocess it when it is economically worthwhile.

Reprocessing gets rid of a lot of the high energy stuff by turning it back into more fuel, but you're always going to have radioactive waste from bits of machinery that were in the reactor or whatever. That stuff still has to be dealt with so you never really eliminate all nuclear waste or even the bulk of it.

Right now, this is what we're doing with it:

That's an ISFSI, or Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation. That's all of the waste that couldn't be recycled/reprocessed for the entire life of a nuclear plant. The area where the rest of the plant used to be is now just trees and grass and stuff.

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 14:24 on Apr 28, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

...and no

:smith:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

brugroffil posted:

Right now, this is what we're doing with it:

That's an ISFSI, or Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation. That's all of the waste that couldn't be recycled/reprocessed for the entire life of a nuclear plant. The area where the rest of the plant used to be is now just trees and grass and stuff.

seems p irresponsible tbqh

what if aliens came and tried to open those up? they'd die!

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Baloogan posted:

i like nuclear power and thers like lots of uranium in the sea and its not hard to centrifuge the uranium out because its so heavy and also u can make fresh water from the salt water and irrigate the planet

Saskatchewan has the second highest amount of uranium in the world. Brad Wall would sell it all to the Chinese to balance his budget right now instead of use it to replace coal.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

brugroffil posted:

There are some shut down commercial reactors that have gone back to green fields now. I've been to a few of them. You've got the relatively small storage area where they're storing the spent fuel and greater-than-class-C waste, but 90% of the old plant site is just an open field now.

yeah it absolutely amazes me that all these years later we are still explaining to people that chernobyl was the single greatest instance of 'hold my beer' in human history, not some inevitable consequence of the powers we were playing with

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Coolguye posted:

yeah it absolutely amazes me that all these years later we are still explaining to people that should know better like those educated in scientific fields, let alone others that chernobyl was the single greatest instance of 'hold my beer' in human history, not some inevitable consequence of the powers we were playing with

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It wouldn't have been Chernobyl-bad because we actually build containment structures in this country, but Davis-Bessie in Ohio almost had a very, very bad situation about a decade ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis%E2%80%93Besse_Nuclear_Power_Station#2002_reactor_head_hole

Luckily, they caught it before the last 3/8" of steel gave way to an extremely high pressure jet of radioactive water.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

brugroffil posted:

Oh cool! Good to know. The only reactors I'm familiar with were ones in the U.S. from just after WW2 that were made to make nuclear bombs. I wish I knew more to know the difference on how they operated to comment/know more.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Condiv posted:

seems p irresponsible tbqh

what if aliens came and tried to open those up? they'd die!

Of all the paper-thin bullshit that's made me roll my eyes about why we just can't open up Yucca Mountain or any other centralized storage site yet, the mewling complaints of "b-b-but what if tens of thousands of years from now a post-apocalyptic society which can't read English and has literally no knowledge of any human history that preceded it somehow finds the vault and gets into it!? We've gotta come up with an effective warning sign before we can even think of doing permanent nuclear waste storage!" has to be the worst.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Oh cool! Good to know. The only reactors I'm familiar with were ones in the U.S. from just after WW2 that were made to make nuclear bombs. I wish I knew more to know the difference on how they operated to comment/know more.
Yeah, here's an example of Yankee Rowe:

The ISFSI is on the left, and the plant used to be between it and the lake.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Of all the paper-thin bullshit that's made me roll my eyes about why we just can't open up Yucca Mountain or any other centralized storage site yet, the mewling complaints of "b-b-but what if tens of thousands of years from now a post-apocalyptic society which can't read English and has literally no knowledge of any human history that preceded it somehow finds the vault and gets into it!? We've gotta come up with an effective warning sign before we can even think of doing permanent nuclear waste storage!" has to be the worst.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I'm not that fond of that guy wither.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is no place of honor

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Coolguye posted:

yeah it absolutely amazes me that all these years later we are still explaining to people that chernobyl was the single greatest instance of 'hold my beer' in human history, not some inevitable consequence of the powers we were playing with

Yeah, it's difficult to understate how hosed up Chernobyl was compared to every other nuclear accident

Like, if the people making decisions before the accident wanted specifically create the worst possible nuclear disaster, they couldn't have done much better

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, it's difficult to understate how hosed up Chernobyl was compared to every other nuclear accident

Like, if the people making decisions before the accident to specifically create the worst possible nuclear disaster, they couldn't have done much better

The best (or at least funniest) way I've heard it described is, "the more or less designed the reactor to explode, set it to explode-mode, and then mashed the 'explode more' button."

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the issue with nuclear power is not its safety, but rather the fact that despite two pro-nuclear administrations in a row investing billions of dollars in subsidies to support the industry, we have not come close to making it economically viable. private investors will not even get involved with a nuclear reactor unless the government will guarantee the loan. the poo poo about how it'd totally be cheap if we'd just cut some of those darn safety regulations is absolutely absurd. it's expensive because the projects are incredibly hard to build, and expensive to maintain and repair once they reach a mature age.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Concerned Citizen posted:

the issue with nuclear power is not its safety, but rather the fact that despite two pro-nuclear administrations in a row investing billions of dollars in subsidies to support the industry, we have not come close to making it economically viable. private investors will not even get involved with a nuclear reactor unless the government will guarantee the loan. the poo poo about how it'd totally be cheap if we'd just cut some of those darn safety regulations is absolutely absurd. it's expensive because the projects are incredibly hard to build, and expensive to maintain and repair once they reach a mature age.

Hmm

Would you say this is a market failure?

Maybe we shouldn't be relying on private markets to provide vital infrastructure?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

Hmm

Would you say this is a market failure?

Maybe we shouldn't be relying on private markets to provide vital infrastructure?

well it's a market failure if you assume none of the reactors will be expensive boondoggles that never meet projections. which has not been the case for any nuclear reactors we've tried to build

even china's huge nuclear expansion, which is of course state funded, is looking at $100b~ between new reactors and safety upgrades over the next few years even prior to the inevitable cost overruns.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

well it's a market failure if you assume none of the reactors will be expensive boondoggles that never meet projections. which has not been the case for any nuclear reactors we've tried to build

even china's huge nuclear expansion, which is of course state funded, is looking at $100b~ between new reactors and safety upgrades over the next few years even prior to the inevitable cost overruns.

And how much do the spills and environmental damage from other power generation techs add to their overall cost?

It seems to be a market failure to me when the markets select underregulated and highly polluting and destructive plants like coal because they're cheaper in the short term

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it requires almost five dozen extra certifications and permits to receive clearance that a nuclear power plant proposal is safe vs a gas or coal plant, which is required before the proposal can even be brought to politicians, who then must be convinced all over again and will frequently demand that the site be moved a couple of miles in one direction or another to make it more palatable to their constituents, which then triggers recertification procedures. not a huge deal for the moderately regulated fossil fuel plants (which might lose a couple ten or a hundred thousand dollars and be delayed a couple of months), a huge setback for nuclear projects (which can lose hundreds of thousands and be delayed up to a year).

the question of economically viable is not, like wind or solar, a matter of mathematics and logistics. there's nothing you can do to make a solar panel deliver a MW/hr as cheaply as a coal plant with current tech. a nuke plant delivers a MW/hr as cheaply as a coal plant in the majority of situations, right this minute. the difference is entirely regulation, which has been ratcheted upward since the cold war with paranoid statutes that do not increase the safety of a plant but definitely decrease its economic viability due to the literal years and millions of dollars spent on just getting inspectors out at the site to poke around. not to mention, when these processes take so long, you run the real risk of having new legislation passed to affect current building. it's really dishonest to call something a boondoggle when the rug's ripped out from under a project, which has happened at least a half-dozen times in the last 15 years in the USA. this is, like, not even remotely arguable as a market force, these are regulation forces. the USA at this juncture has regulated nuclear power out of viability.

saying china's spending a lot of money on nuke power is misleading too because they're spending a lot of money on power period. up until 2015 huge areas of the country had zero access to electricity, and even now most rural areas have rolling blackouts because the capacity of their power infrastructure is flatly insufficient.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

And how much do the spills and environmental damage from other power generation techs add to their overall cost?

It seems to be a market failure to me when the markets select underregulated and highly polluting and destructive plants like coal because they're cheaper in the short term

no one is selecting coal. it's a dying industry, and coal plants are shutting down like whoa. they're selecting natural gas and (to a much lesser extent) renewables. while natural gas isn't exactly an environmental plus vs. nuclear, it's far cleaner than coal.

while nuclear certainly has a place in our energy mix, and it's preferable to fossil fuel sources, it still has less potential than renewables for the same money we'd have to invest.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it still has less potential than renewables for the same money we'd have to invest.
it's really, really difficult to imagine a context of 'potential' where this is true. could you elaborate?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Coolguye posted:

it requires almost five dozen extra certifications and permits to receive clearance that a nuclear power plant proposal is safe vs a gas or coal plant, which is required before the proposal can even be brought to politicians, who then must be convinced all over again and will frequently demand that the site be moved a couple of miles in one direction or another to make it more palatable to their constituents, which then triggers recertification procedures. not a huge deal for the moderately regulated fossil fuel plants (which might lose a couple ten or a hundred thousand dollars and be delayed a couple of months), a huge setback for nuclear projects (which can lose hundreds of thousands and be delayed up to a year).

the question of economically viable is not, like wind or solar, a matter of mathematics and logistics. there's nothing you can do to make a solar panel deliver a MW/hr as cheaply as a coal plant with current tech. a nuke plant delivers a MW/hr as cheaply as a coal plant in the majority of situations, right this minute. the difference is entirely regulation, which has been ratcheted upward since the cold war with paranoid statutes that do not increase the safety of a plant but definitely decrease its economic viability due to the literal years and millions of dollars spent on just getting inspectors out at the site to poke around. not to mention, when these processes take so long, you run the real risk of having new legislation passed to affect current building. it's really dishonest to call something a boondoggle when the rug's ripped out from under a project, which has happened at least a half-dozen times in the last 15 years in the USA. this is, like, not even remotely arguable as a market force, these are regulation forces. the USA at this juncture has regulated nuclear power out of viability.

saying china's spending a lot of money on nuke power is misleading too because they're spending a lot of money on power period. up until 2015 huge areas of the country had zero access to electricity, and even now most rural areas have rolling blackouts because the capacity of their power infrastructure is flatly insufficient.

the us has not "regulated nuclear out of viability." the policy of the last nearly 2 decades has been to actively encourage the building of new nuclear plants. the cost of regulation is the tiniest fraction of the overall cost. westinghouse's issues have been entirely technical - they have been unable to fabricate and build at the pace & cost they were meant to. and every single reactor being built has faced that exact problem.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the us has not "regulated nuclear out of viability." the policy of the last nearly 2 decades has been to actively encourage the building of new nuclear plants. the cost of regulation is the tiniest fraction of the overall cost. westinghouse's issues have been entirely technical - they have been unable to fabricate and build at the pace & cost they were meant to. and every single reactor being built has faced that exact problem.

westinghouse is promising gen IV reactors for the projects you're mentioning which are subject to less regulation by not using a lot of the hot-topic fuels that trigger so many of the regulations, despite the fact that we have poured so much work into securing and handling gen III reactors that they have fewer deaths per kW/h, less environmental impact, and lower operating costs than equivalent fossil fuel stations. regulation is forcing people to spend profligately on technologies that are not ready for prime time and not ready to be out of the skunkworks, per attestations of dozens upon dozens of nuclear engineers paid lots and lots of money to make high end breeders and pebble beds a real thing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

no one is selecting coal. it's a dying industry, and coal plants are shutting down like whoa. they're selecting natural gas and (to a much lesser extent) renewables. while natural gas isn't exactly an environmental plus vs. nuclear, it's far cleaner than coal.

while nuclear certainly has a place in our energy mix, and it's preferable to fossil fuel sources, it still has less potential than renewables for the same money we'd have to invest.

but that means if the market was functioning correctly then nuclear + renewables would be where we are at, not at poo poo tons of "clean coal" plants and questionably clean gas plants. by the way, my state is suffering the consequences of america's dependence on dirty power in the form of 1000x more earthquakes a year.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Coolguye posted:

it's really, really difficult to imagine a context of 'potential' where this is true. could you elaborate?

wind/solar are developing technologies that are still declining in cost, and in general are now competitive with coal (or at least wind is) while still lagging behind crazy cheap natural gas. their share in the energy mix has grown bigly over the past 8 years, and it's projected by most energy companies to continue to do so. investing in renewables makes sense. we should invest enough in nuclear to maintain its place in the energy mix (since so many reactors will soon be going offline) but a france-like future isn't going to happen.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Coolguye posted:

westinghouse is promising gen IV reactors for the projects you're mentioning which are subject to less regulation by not using a lot of the hot-topic fuels that trigger so many of the regulations, despite the fact that we have poured so much work into securing and handling gen III reactors that they have fewer deaths per kW/h, less environmental impact, and lower operating costs than equivalent fossil fuel stations. regulation is forcing people to spend profligately on technologies that are not ready for prime time and not ready to be out of the skunkworks, per attestations of dozens upon dozens of nuclear engineers paid lots and lots of money to make high end breeders and pebble beds a real thing.

westinghouse's reactors are gen III+, not gen IV. it's a PWR so it's hardly skunk works. and talking about operating costs, if their operating costs were really that low, half of us nuclear reactors wouldn't be unprofitable. the operating costs are only low on paper, but in reality they significantly increase as the reactors age. and, of course, most of the cost is in building the things in the first place.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

wind/solar are developing technologies that are still declining in cost, and in general are now competitive with coal (or at least wind is) while still lagging behind crazy cheap natural gas. their share in the energy mix has grown bigly over the past 8 years, and it's projected by most energy companies to continue to do so. investing in renewables makes sense. we should invest enough in nuclear to maintain its place in the energy mix (since so many reactors will soon be going offline) but a france-like future isn't going to happen.

Renewables currently generate more value in subsidy than they do in actual electricity produced. Oklahoma is discontinuing its wind program this year for exactly this reason; the subsidy fund they were using to incentivize the program ended, and the state's GDP actually shrank from the operation because the wind farms displaced so many farms and ranches that were actually profitable. The idea was that renewables would have lower operating costs once put up, because they don't require a full time staff, but the reality of the situation is that power storage with batteries and such is still such an expensive problem that it costs at least as much to scale as a power station of any stripe. There's also the cost of the land that you must buy up en-masse to support renewables. It tends to be farmland, which is HELLA expensive. Again, people do not usually count these costs because tons of the land comes from subsidized purchases or land grants taken by eminent domain to make way for critical infrastructure.

If you remove subsidy payments from the equation (nuclear receives almost none, while renewables are extremely heavily subsidized) then the economic viability flips. Nuclear makes sense. Renewables are extraordinarily expensive.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Coolguye posted:

re: the bolded, does that include if you correctly price in the externalities of coal such as spewing heavy metals everywhere and pumping lots of CO2 into the atmosphere?

we also haven't sited a new nuclear facility in this country since the 1970's. The most recent reactor to come online, Watts Bar, was under construction for a long rear end time and is the second unit at the facility. VC Summer and Vogtle are existing old plants that are building the new AP1000's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i want thorium salt reactors in every home

• Locked thread