Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Nuclear power seems to be one of those subjects where people with very limited knowledge are OK with it, people with some knowledge are terrified of it, and people with more advanced knowledge are back to being OK with it.

At the very least, there should be a campaign to maintain our % energy production level of nuclear power by replacing older generation facilities with new.

Also: Michio Kaku is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

crazy cloud posted:

i don't even know where to start with how bad nuclear power plants are

not as bad as your posts

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

crazy cloud posted:

turn on your monitor

It's night time and the local renewable power storage has already been depleted, turning on my monitor would spool up a coal fire and accelerate climate change.

I'd rather have a slightly irradiated planet than a complete collapse of civilization as we know it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
And 2002 probably doesn't line up with when Germany started its campaign to end nuclear.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What kind of idiot builds a nuke plant on a tsunami ravaged coastline anyway

You are starting from a false premise.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Depends on their reasoning. If they just say "atoms are scary", that isn't really science.

I'm all for solar, thermal, tidal, etc, and for improvements to the power distribution and storage systems to address issues of utilizing fossil fuels, but I don't think we can get all of that online soon enough to prevent disruptive environmental changes. If their reason is purely from a risk of radioactive contamination of the planet, then we simply aren't agreeing on what the true risk is and/or what an acceptable level of risk is.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Turns out opposing nuclear power at every opportunity wasn't really good environmental policy

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
*wipes brow* now that we have crazy cloud's blessing...

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
wasn't it that the Fukushima backup generators were at or below ground level, flooded by the tsunami, and that the loss of power allowed the core to overheat?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Coolguye posted:

yeah it absolutely amazes me that all these years later we are still explaining to people that should know better like those educated in scientific fields, let alone others that chernobyl was the single greatest instance of 'hold my beer' in human history, not some inevitable consequence of the powers we were playing with

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nebakenezzer posted:

North Korea?

there was some horrendously heavy rain in China. Some say the dam failed, others say it was intentionally breached to ensure the water went that way instead of out another dam on that same reservoir

E: Banqiao Dam

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

rudatron posted:

If people's fleshy meatsacks were less vulnerable to cancer caused by ionizing radiation, we'd probably have nuke cars and space colonies and poo poo by now.

Naked mole rats are pretty good at dna repair, I think, so just count your blessings that we got intelligence faster than they did, or space would be full of them.

That would be an extreme version of rolling coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Welp, a few people may have had an increased risk of thyroid cancer. We better not chance this any more, no matter what.

• Locked thread