Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Everything will be fine once we start mass producing those nano-carbon graphene super capacitors. Any day now. Yep any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

rudatron posted:

Chernobyl was a flawed reactor design (that the designers knew about but which the plant technicians were never informed of) and fukushima wasn't nearly as bad aa the reaction to it would have you believe - the evacuation occurred as a precaution but its not as if the entire site was irradiated, it was mostly leakage into the ocean.

In terms of death per kilowatt hr, nuclear kills less people than coal, biofuels or even solar (mostly people dying when they fall off roofs). Importantly, nuclear is the only feasible non-carbon baseload that's not limited by geography (hydro is better but there's a maximum capacity to that that we've already practically reached).

hydro has it's own problems, sedimentation, local environmental destruction when creating reservoirs, and most notably, the one you mentioned.

my favorite insane nuclear weapon idea is Project Pluto, which was basically a supersonic cruise missile driven by a nuclear scramjet that would drop nukes on pre-programmed targets then just loiter around an airspace making GBS threads out radioactive death before eventually crashing.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Apr 29, 2017

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Hahahaha you actually left out the part where, after expending its warheads, it would fly low over populated areas in order to cause damage with the ensuing shockwave.

I read about it years ago and forgot that detail lol

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

We build first a sarcophagus for it that inspired some visuals in Half-Life 2. Then an international consortium spent large amounts of money building a shelter for it that was so challenging and high tech PBS made an hour long documentary on the subject and I watched it

I hear they finished moving it into place in the last month or so.

• Locked thread