Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

did anyone say thorium yet? or thorium salt reactor?

those are the cool kids of nuclear power and i wanna hang out with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

other reactors have such fragile egos that if you mess with them even slightly you get a radioactive hot-take floating over half the country

thorium would just sit back and chill tho

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

so, i was smoking a joint and thinking of ways the us nuclear industry could bounce back with kids and then i realized... ANIME! millenials love anime! so if we made an anime about nuclear power plants saving the world or something kids would love them

then i remembered that japanese companies often create cutesy mascots to represent them for this very reason, like for example this guy:

he makes prison seem more fun or something. anyway, that got me to thinking, did the fukushima plant owner have a mascot? yes!

that's denko-chan. she wants you to be friends with electricity. tepco had her as a mascot for a long time with stuff like oven mitts and other things having her face on them. she also had other friends like plutonium-kun:

and they had an anime once too! (that was pulled after a short while)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRvVrYg-XBQ

the anime was pulled cause in it, plutonium-kun has a small childe drink a glass of liquid plutonium while saying: “I’m hardly absorbed by your stomach or intestines and I’m expelled by your body, so in fact I can’t kill people at all”.

if you would like to read more you can here:

https://spikejapan.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/after-the-earthquake-so-farewell-then-plutonium-kun/

edit: sorry, plutonium boy is actually plutonium-kun

Condiv has issued a correction as of 23:56 on Apr 26, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

here's the nuclear anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXpM94f2k

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kurtofan posted:

i want to die of a preventable disease at the ripe old age of 35

move to america

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mister magpie posted:

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/

cool interactive chart with nuclide decay types and half-lives, btw

do u think anyone's ever fallen into a vat of bananas and died of radiation sickness?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

logikv9 posted:

falling into a vat of bananas sounds like a bad euphemism

it could happen to you

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

whomupclicklike posted:

I'm willing to like, have my mind changed here but I don't understand why nuclear energy is worth the risk of a disaster like Chernobyl or Fukushima? I recognize that these sort of events are incredibly uncommon and even that Fukushima probably wouldn't have happened had it not been for that tsunami.

plus, looking at the wildlife in pictures of Chernobyl, they don't seem to be monstrously hosed up by the worst nuclear accident in history. meanwhile you get poo poo like this coming out of the gulf still:

and we're already back doing offshore drilling before the damage is even close to being recovered from.

ditto the exxon oilspill. that beach is still loving contaminated and exxon never really payed out what they were supposed to

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

brugroffil posted:

Right now, this is what we're doing with it:

That's an ISFSI, or Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation. That's all of the waste that couldn't be recycled/reprocessed for the entire life of a nuclear plant. The area where the rest of the plant used to be is now just trees and grass and stuff.

seems p irresponsible tbqh

what if aliens came and tried to open those up? they'd die!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Concerned Citizen posted:

the issue with nuclear power is not its safety, but rather the fact that despite two pro-nuclear administrations in a row investing billions of dollars in subsidies to support the industry, we have not come close to making it economically viable. private investors will not even get involved with a nuclear reactor unless the government will guarantee the loan. the poo poo about how it'd totally be cheap if we'd just cut some of those darn safety regulations is absolutely absurd. it's expensive because the projects are incredibly hard to build, and expensive to maintain and repair once they reach a mature age.

Hmm

Would you say this is a market failure?

Maybe we shouldn't be relying on private markets to provide vital infrastructure?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

well it's a market failure if you assume none of the reactors will be expensive boondoggles that never meet projections. which has not been the case for any nuclear reactors we've tried to build

even china's huge nuclear expansion, which is of course state funded, is looking at $100b~ between new reactors and safety upgrades over the next few years even prior to the inevitable cost overruns.

And how much do the spills and environmental damage from other power generation techs add to their overall cost?

It seems to be a market failure to me when the markets select underregulated and highly polluting and destructive plants like coal because they're cheaper in the short term

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

no one is selecting coal. it's a dying industry, and coal plants are shutting down like whoa. they're selecting natural gas and (to a much lesser extent) renewables. while natural gas isn't exactly an environmental plus vs. nuclear, it's far cleaner than coal.

while nuclear certainly has a place in our energy mix, and it's preferable to fossil fuel sources, it still has less potential than renewables for the same money we'd have to invest.

but that means if the market was functioning correctly then nuclear + renewables would be where we are at, not at poo poo tons of "clean coal" plants and questionably clean gas plants. by the way, my state is suffering the consequences of america's dependence on dirty power in the form of 1000x more earthquakes a year.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i want thorium salt reactors in every home

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dairy Days posted:

there was another insane nuclear power idea / "design study" i forgot the name of where you basically make a huge underground cavern lined with concrete and fill it part way with water, then you detonate your old / left over nuclear bombs in it repeatedly and use the generated steam and heat to spin turbines

wouldn't this just cause an immediate giant sinkhole? where's the force from the explosion supposed to go?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Yinlock posted:

"hey bill this new backup system seems to be triggering every single failsafe when we try to test it"

"then our path is clear: shut down the failsafes"

"what"

lftr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BarronsArtGallery posted:

has anyone posted about Thorium yet?

because I'm thinking of changing my name back to Thorium and resuming my duties to remind people about LFTRs whenever possible

i'd prefer BarronsThoriumGallery with a slideshow of either piles of thorium or lftrs with huge racks as your avatar

• Locked thread