Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

short term, nuclear is like the only way we can possibly avoid massive catastrophes related to climate change

long term, renewables are better, but they aren't there yet

it does not matter because the misinformed are terrified of nuclear, and most people are misinformed about most things (see also: fear of gmos, fear of vaccines, president trump happening)

we are gonna piss our planet down our legs because three reactors out of the tens of thousands around the world melted down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

brugroffil posted:

I like nuclear from a technical standpoint, but economically it sucks balls and "short term" is like 15 years and about $10B from "hey lets build a plant" to generating power.

the reprecussions of climate change are gonna suck a whole lot more balls economically than replacing our fossil fuel plants with nuclear reactors would

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like the aim has been keeping temps to a max 2c rise in global average temperatures. the negative effects of even keeping to that ceiling would be huge, and we are in no way on track to keep the global temperature rise to just 2c right now.

nuclear could potentially save us from total catastrophe, and gently caress if idiots are so afraid of meltdowns, just build pebble bed reactors instead, they can't melt down.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LinYutang posted:

nuclear power had its window of opportunity and it's closed, it's not gonna happen again

i mean, you are not wrong but it still sucks. even meltdown-proof pebble bed reactors won't catch on cause people will just hear the word 'nuclear' and freak out.

kinda like how virtually everyone i've ever heard who is anti-nuclear thinks reactors can explode in a hiroshima-sized blast.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean the real way for solar to work is to decentralize our power grid and throw solar panels on every loving roof in the country

but lol not gonna happen and we are gonna keep relying on fossil fuels for decades even though we have the potential to switch away from them right the gently caress now

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

brugroffil posted:

That could really help for residential and to some extent commercial, but it wouldn't be too helpful for industrial.

industrial needs nukes or where available, geothermal

but again this is all pointless musing because we are not going to change what we are doing and climatologists will continue finding more evidence that their predictions were conservative and everything is grtting worse faster than they predicted

the ship sailed on doing anything to save the climate a long-rear end time ago, like literally our best hope at this point is a fuckin solar shade, that's how hosed we are

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they wanted to build a windfarm in some hills in upstate ny a while ago and nimbys blocked it from happening, like that is an actual major hurdle for wind farms as dumb as that is

iirc something similar happened off cape cod too

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean most people who want power to be more publicly controlled also want to greatly increase taxes on the rich, so

also i have less than zero faith that the current conditions power companies operate under are in any way beneficial to the end user. imo anything as important as our power grid must be socialized (see also: food supply, telecommunications etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Coolguye posted:

i mean sprawling bureaucracies are basically synonymous with decadent stasis and inefficiency and that was true before rand was even born so kinda? just look at the ming dynasty or the byzantine empire

government being bad at certain things isn't new or controversial, there's no need to make this into a randian dystopia lol

this implies that private companies are ever better at this poo poo than governments are and just lmao if you really think that is the case

• Locked thread