Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

we could just use a radioactive material that isn't uranium but then we wouldn't be able to make missiles from the byproduct

and then what use would that be. all we'd get would be power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

merkel did promise to shut down all their nuclear plants by 2030 or so but they're replacing that with giant wind farms in the north sea and personally owned solar on Bavarian sheep farms instead of more coal which is p decent but the nuclear is still good

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

brugroffil posted:

hey guys I don't disagree I am a fan of nuclear but I'm just saying economically they're not going to be build because they're a lot more expensive than natural gas! I think that holds true even if you put a decent carbon tax on natural gas.

"the free market would never allow nuclear power to exist" I insist, as oil billionaires simultaneously poison my air and water and crush my testicles with a bucket excavator

power production doesn't need to be profitable

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

financially racist posted:

they wanted to build a windfarm in some hills in upstate ny a while ago and nimbys blocked it from happening, like that is an actual major hurdle for wind farms as dumb as that is

iirc something similar happened off cape cod too

they've been trying to offshore wind farms in New England for years but it turns out the kind of rich dipshits who think their beach house views would be ruined by the existence of windmills have more combined political influence than everyone else

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Coolguye posted:

it does, however, still need to be affordable to the end consumer unless we're fine with telling the poor they can live without heating, cooling, and refrigeration.

power companies are already so beholden to the state that arguably state politicians have more control over their affairs than their own management boards. it's a little bit like the fannie mae poo poo. yeah, okay, sure, ostensibly fannie mae is private, but nobody REALLY believes that.

if the state directly controls power generation and distribution they can charge whatever the hell they want for it, don't give me this "good energy is bad... for the poor!!!" talking point poo poo

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah the government uses contractors and public-private partnerships out of respect for market innovations and from fear of bureaucratic inefficiency and definitely not because Ayn Rand acolytes have been screaming about the government butting into their profit margins since the new deal

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Coolguye posted:

Prosperity means consuming the labor of others.

*communist screeching*

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

electricity is good, posted from my phone

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lol that was 40 years ago

now do one for fracking runoff

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

Everybody knows that mercury and heavy metals like chromium in coal smoke are super bad for you, there's nothing to confirm

If you needed to confirm it, you could just spend a week in China

but what about Clean Coal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

like I'm gonna take the word of Big Radiation on anything regarding the subject. go shill elsewhere

• Locked thread