Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I would be pro nuclear power if I trusted the people who worked in the field more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Why don't we just put solar panels on the moon

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

now we're talking

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Not a Step posted:

I was at a Democratic platform meeting last night and this older lady used her speaking time to rant about nuclear power. Then she got back in line, waited patiently, and gave another three minute anti-nuclear rant. I don't get how someone can be pro-science and anti-nuclear at the same time.

It's not contrary to be pro science and anti nuclear

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I'm willing to like, have my mind changed here but I don't understand why nuclear energy is worth the risk of a disaster like Chernobyl or Fukushima? I recognize that these sort of events are incredibly uncommon and even that Fukushima probably wouldn't have happened had it not been for that tsunami.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

rudatron posted:

Chernobyl was a flawed reactor design (that the designers knew about but which the plant technicians were never informed of) and fukushima wasn't nearly as bad aa the reaction to it would have you believe - the evacuation occurred as a precaution but its not as if the entire site was irradiated, it was mostly leakage into the ocean.

In terms of death per kilowatt hr, nuclear kills less people than coal, biofuels or even solar (mostly people dying when they fall off roofs). Importantly, nuclear is the only feasible non-carbon baseload that's not limited by geography (hydro is better but there's a maximum capacity to that that we've already practically reached).

This is immensely helpful, thank you.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Chernobyl was a fundamentally bad design that was made on the cheap in the first place and then not maintained whatsoever. They used graphite rods to control the reactor, so when things got too hot, the graphite burned and an explosion happened (note, not a nuclear explosion, just a regular chemical one) and that released a bunch of radioactive junk into the air. It's hard to do good estimates, but maybe 50 immediate deaths and 4000 overall deaths came from it over a decade or so. For context, Coal mining kills 5000+ directly a year, and heaps (greater than 4x) more if you include blacklung and other stuff related to it.

Fukushima was a major fuckup, but nobody died from the radiation. It's still a major fuckup, but things like fly ash (coal residue) spills are worse and kill more people.

This too, thank you. I think nuclear energy is good now

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Wait one follow up question I have is what do we do about nuclear waste

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Burying/entombing it being the better option because then if we ever get serious about recycling spent fuel we'll have easy access to it.

How can the waste be recycled? What is it used for?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

But what happens after those reactions? Is there still waste? Thanks for actually explaining this I really appreciate it

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Always some unusable radioactive stuff, but if you do it right and chain the nuclear reactions to favor generating certain kinds of radioactive waste, the waste eventually turns inert and no longer radioactive after a few years or decades.

It's an oversimplification, but think of every ounce of Uranium is very, very slowly turning into not-radioactive lead all by itself.

And then you can use that lead for nuclear shielding, right? The whole problem solves itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

resar posted:

if radiation didn't exist that would kick rear end

If radiation didn't exist we wouldn't​ have radio

• Locked thread