Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Homeless Friend posted:

I want more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mister magpie posted:

Nuclear power is...good?

Yeah, pretty much.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Coolguye posted:

i think cape cod happened because the test models ended up killing a few dozen golden eagles and they couldn't figure out how to not have the project kill off the local beloved charismatic megafauna. i might be mixing that up with one of the eastern seaboard projects tho.

That may be what they said, but the real reason is that the flatlanders who live down there are rich assholes who think windmills mar the scenery.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lamebot posted:

wtf am I reading

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

do we have an actual honest to god primitivist itt

Nah he's just kind of an idiot.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Did you know that the longer the half-life the less dangerous a material is? When people talk about nuclear waste with a half-life of millions of years that means it has like 1 fission a year per kilogram.

Yeah, "long half-lives!" is almost entirely used for fear-mongering.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Not a Step posted:

Stick in a mountain where it will happily reside forever, bury it somewhere relatively geologically inactive, dump it in the ocean because a few meters of seawater is a pretty good insulator. Most of the irradiated waste from reactors isn't nearly as dangerous as the anti-nuclear people would have you believe. Again, the tailings from coal power are significantly more of an environmental hazard than the waste from a reactor.

Burying/entombing it being the better option because then if we ever get serious about recycling spent fuel we'll have easy access to it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Condiv posted:

seems p irresponsible tbqh

what if aliens came and tried to open those up? they'd die!

Of all the paper-thin bullshit that's made me roll my eyes about why we just can't open up Yucca Mountain or any other centralized storage site yet, the mewling complaints of "b-b-but what if tens of thousands of years from now a post-apocalyptic society which can't read English and has literally no knowledge of any human history that preceded it somehow finds the vault and gets into it!? We've gotta come up with an effective warning sign before we can even think of doing permanent nuclear waste storage!" has to be the worst.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I'm not that fond of that guy wither.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, it's difficult to understate how hosed up Chernobyl was compared to every other nuclear accident

Like, if the people making decisions before the accident to specifically create the worst possible nuclear disaster, they couldn't have done much better

The best (or at least funniest) way I've heard it described is, "the more or less designed the reactor to explode, set it to explode-mode, and then mashed the 'explode more' button."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

What, no mention of the Ford Nucleon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

We got the STALKER games out of Chernobyl at least. Also a lot of cool urban exploration pictures and vids of crazy people climbing around inside the sarcophagus.

I finished a run through Call of Pripyat the other day and I'm closing in on the end of Clear Sky, and can unambiguously say that the franchise alone justifies nuclear poweralso the Tarkovsky movie and Strugatsky book are pretty awesome too in their own right.

• Locked thread