Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I distrust nuclear power because the I loving Love Science-ists are into it, and their smug, cult-like, infintile trust in orthodoxy is profoundly annoying

While I understand your point and I agree that there are some weird people who are irrationally obsessed with the ultimate truth of contemporary orthodox scientific and medical models, you can make the argument you're making about literally anything in perpetuity. Every invention, concept, and system has potential drawbacks and may involve unforeseen consequences or costs; an obsession with those leads to stagnation (i.e. our present dependence on fossil fuel).

And on a macro-scale if any institution or group of people approaches new developments cautiously, tests their ideas rigorously, and requires a preponderance of evidence before they move forward, it's scientists. Yes, they gently caress up sometimes, but compare their methods and integrity to politicians, businessmen, and priests and they come out looking pretty good on balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

crazy cloud posted:

nukes are for cucks

the trix rabbit has gotten weird in his age

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

crazy cloud posted:

return on investment is a garbage metric

my return on investment on the food I buy is zero because I just flush away my dumps and I never see a dime back so maybe i should stop buying food if I really want to maximize my roi

tiihnk of it like this: if you stopped eating you would die, so every penny you earn from your labor is a return on your investment in food

just surrender to the infallible logic of Markets dude

• Locked thread