Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoktorLoken posted:

I have a generally healthy relationship with alcohol and love beer more than almost anything on this earth, but hey good on you guys for taking care of yourselves.

This but weed instead of booze. Been about a year and a half now since I just stopped drinking again. I don't miss it.

But I'm still escaping plenty of poo poo with weed and undoubtedly have a dependency. Just keeps me in a better place than being angry man all the time.

Good on you guys that can do life without the crutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you don't want to quit smoking, you probably won't. I'm the same way, I love the smell, taste, even feel of a fresh cigarette (almost impossible because all the other people that smoke Pall Mall nonfilters are dead and the packs sit forever and get dry and lovely). I'm not planning on quitting smoking. It's been a lifeline for 19 years, and it's probably going to be what kills me.

My uncle quit cold turkey a few years ago. Said he woke up one morning and just threw his last pack away. Smoked for 35 years. First grandkid came along and he was done. He's a nut and already has heart problems from years of binge drinking busch light, smoking kools and generally being a filthy mechanic and truck driver. But he's probably going to outlive all his siblings because he didn't turn into a 300+ (400+ for one) pound doughball like the rest of the family.

The Wilford Brimleys takes part in killing my family like a republican at a ceremonial sacrifice.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Reading poo poo like this and looking at NIH statistics provides me comfort that my relatively blase drug use and monthly heavy drinking won't cause me to have a heart attack before the age of 50

Genetics can be a crap shoot though. Other side of my family, clean living catholics that only drank the sunday sip, had an uncle go out from a sudden heart attack at about 45. Pulled into a parking spot at a gas station, opened the door and was dead when he rolled out onto the pavement. Stress is what got him, had six kids and two stepkids. Grandfather on that side went to a brain tumor around 65. Clean living catholic.

The fat side of my family puts men into the 69-76 range over the past several generations, with drunks and smokers and the occasional pot smoker. Farm accidents claimed more of us than anything else directly. We just love us some sugar so diabetes is always lurking, threatening to take a foot.

Part of it is what you do, the other part is what you are.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I quit cold turkey for boot camp, but most of us are well past that point now anyhow, so useless advice it is.

But I started again at AIT, because gently caress the army.

I don't remember having the quit smoking jitters in boot, but I was too busy shaking in the Kentucky cold in the dead of winter to notice.