Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

3 years 3 months 11 days. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some encouragement for newly sober people who may be questioning the decision to stop: Right now you're probably angry and everything seems more boring because you're not smashed off your rear end. That goes away, BUT IT TAKES TIME. Physically you'll be feeling great after a month but mentally you're not going to be so hot. The ability to enjoy things sober comes back but you really need to be patient. Exercise, eat well, and count to ten when you're frustrated.

Seriously do watch your diet. If you were in deep on a booze diet where actual food made you sick your body will now be screaming at you to give it all of the sugar it no longer gets in liquid form. My regular appetite came back when I stopped but oh man did I have a sweet tooth.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If you try to get me to quit coffee I hope your affairs are in order.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My chest still hurts sometimes a year later

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Still sober. I'm thinking of getting a cigar for my 30th next month.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nah I'm good. Just a nice cigar for the rare special occasion.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Take my booze? OK. Grab my cigarettes? Yeah that's fine. Take a spoonful of my ice cream? Hope your affairs are in order.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

gently caress the haters, I drink that poo poo all the time. It's the closest thing I've found to drinking a beer in terms of the sensation.

Sparkling cider man. Absolutely has the same consistency of beer in your mouth.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bundaberg Ginger Beer is the poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

Soda/soda water probably won't lead to you ruining your life, drink lots of it

This is truth, I'm not slamming two cans of Coke in the men's room at work at 10 AM to stay functional.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

snake and nape

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's fun to be unbearably cheerful around hungover people early in the morning

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

Should be illegal

Oh good mooooorning I'm glad you're finally up. I took the most wonderful brisk stroll at sunrise to look at nature, which unlike you does not look like hell. Sorry for making so much noise around 6 AM, I was dying for eggs. Well get a move on and get changed, we promised Bill we would do that yard work today and I'd like to be done early for some afternoon reading. The eggs? Sorry, I ate the last two. There's a cereal bar left but I think it's stale.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

As we come up on the holidays I feel like preaching just a little bit. Sitting in a Thanksgiving AA meeting some years ago one old timer said this: November and December is our loving Super Bowl for staying sober.If you're sober and getting the good things back into your life, you're probably going to be around people again during the holidays and the booze will probably be flowing. Just stay calm and keep a glass of something soft in your hand. If you do feel tempted, please talk to another human being first. Here, Discord, or PMs if you want more privacy. No judgement or shame, we've been there and just talking to somebody can help you from starting something that will end badly.

For any of you who are questioning what you're doing, or suffering in silence lurking this thread wondering if life will ever change, please talk to us. We know it's embarrassing to start talking. Trust us that we've experienced what you're going through, be it massive hangovers to DTs, seizures, and hospital visits. It doesn't have to be that way and we want to help you.

With that downer out of the way I like to watch Robin Williams' bit on alcoholism once in a while since there's truth in it and it makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtPp_xIpC4

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I made it. Two years :)

Congratulations man, I knew you could do it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ah gently caress it i'd rather talk about it on discord

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've had a few moments where a cold beer with a hot dog on a warm day sounded extremely tempting. Enjoying some other refreshing drinks instead.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Congrats man! I had my psych checkup yesterday and the doc asked if I still had cravings and I can only remember one- there's was a hot July day where I really wanted a hot dog and a beer. He said it's good that my cravings are on experiential wants (summer refreshment, enjoying socializing with a drink) and not craving the substance itself so much.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Congratulations!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If it were me I would say no. Different juices go pretty well with club soda, and mixing them can get decent results.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

If you think you should ask others then it is almost exclusively always something you already know you shouldn't do has been my experience

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Still no booze, dying for a cigarette

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Congrats Two Finger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm sorry man. Play that tape out in your head- the drinking scenario. We all know where it ends the next day. Hop on Discord if you want to chat.

Stay sober today and ask yourself if you want to drink again tomorrow. Just stay sober for today.