Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think it's just keeping up appearances - he is the king, and Singeface is a senior officer, just one with major leverage. That whole thing about the red dragon also felt like a test - if he'd said anything other than to kill Nina on sight, he would have landed himself in some seriously deep trouble.

In fact, I wonder if him 'showing Nina his plans' will involve betraying Singeface and teaming up with the (very surprised) heroes - that would explain that menacing smirk when he leaves the cave, as he psyches himself up to deliver some long-delayed justice. Of course, he could just be betraying Nina, with that necklace serving as a tracking device, but seducing the heroine with an apparently heartfelt love confession and then arranging her death with a smirk on your face seems like 'total irredeemable evil' territory, and way too much of the show has been signalling that we're supposed to be rooting for Nina to redeem him. They'd have to get themselves a whole new ED, for a start.

Am I not supposed to consider a sustained campaign of oppression and planned genocide as "total irredeemable evil"?

I don't understand this entire thing, fundamentally, of casting a tragic, brooding pretty boy out of Fantasy Hitler. "I only regret slaughtering innocents by the millions because of you!" is romantic now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, sorry, he was tricked into torturing an entire race of children for a long period of time, self-admittedly without remorse. That makes it all better. Poor baby.

What will Azazel think about all this, anyway? "Look, buddy, I know he slaughtered all your friends and enslaved your entire race, but he likes me and he's a great kisser!"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm not saying it won't be hypocritical of Azazel but it'd be even worse if he was like "fine I can see he truly loves you so I guess I'll let him off the hook (for child slavery)."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The flow of that scene made it seem like he wanted to be rid of her without seeing her because of the torment she was causing in his soul, and now that's changed, so it's all part of the "I was a monster and you're fixing me" narrative.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The question is why he had to go to the trouble of antagonizing the gods and oppressing the demons to free and kill Bahamut sooner instead of, like, taking more time to do basically anything else e.g. maybe finding ways that do not require war and war crimes. Bahamut's not going anywhere until he breaks free. The entire plan seems to be made to execute the kill ASAP but for no seeming advantage re: the actual goal (whether you consider war with the gods a side benefit or a side problem is separate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I watched this show on Genesis' credit and it was a huge mistake.

• Locked thread