Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Kaisar and Rita have a kid now.

Well then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

Actually, thinking on it, it might be just that XIV-XVI got wiped out when Bahamut woke up and blew up the capital.

I'm now imagining a string of increasingly rushed and annoyed coronations as the fireballs rained down.

"Rise, Charioce X- oh, gently caress it, not again. Bob, how many more of these guys do we have left?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And let's be honest, how many of them have seen King Charioce up close?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Do dragon shifters give birth or lay eggs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

Azazel will lay the eggs

in Charioce's brain

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I can't recall the last time I had such a good laugh at a next episode title as next weeks directly after this one.

That said, if it follows the same pattern, Charioce gonna get hosed up six ways to Sunday.

I did like how Azazel's characterisation has changed so little since the first season - he's still imperious, vicious, and easily played by people smarter than him - and now that he's been required to actually become a hero, he's turned out to be so manifestly unfit for the task that he's basically self-destructed. I mean, technically, he's not directly facing the consequences of all the awful poo poo he did in the first season, but he's facing the consequences of his actions being used to justify the slavery and genocide of his people, and the consequences of still being that person. It's a clever way to do things, and I'd guess that now he's been brought to his lowest point, we'll be looking at his slow, messy rebirth as an actual hero.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Most gruesome PSA on informed consent since Teeth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That was real great poo poo. The episode really managed to show the depths of Jeanne's heroism, and was also pretty as hell - that shot of soldiers on wyverns dropping flares, for instance, was stunning.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Unusually ugly episode this time. Hopefully, it was just because it didn't really need to be as pretty as usual, and they decided to give the staff a bit of a break.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

It's unfair to call it ugly just because it isn't as incredibly fantastic as usual.

Nah, there was some genuinely bad stuff. The faces were wonky rather too often for their own good, there were a lot of still frames (including a few 'we swear we'll animate this when the DVDs roll around' shots of walls), and that shot of troops running over the bridge was some Berserk-tier jank. Like I said, good thing we didn't need much of this episode to look good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Charioce is an increasingly confused dude.

It was nice to see an articulation of just how powerful Dragon-Nina actually is this episode - not invincible, but more dangerous than any other combatant currently on the field. I assume that we're moving towards more actual, proper dragon fight scenes as she gains more control over her powers, rather than it staying as an incredibly unreliable 'I win' button.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StarMinstrel posted:

I know the passed over the subject in the first season, but I forgot: what ever happened to Zeus and Satan? I remember they put all their energies into sealing Bahamut and then...?

They're the two keys holding Bahamut in place now. Thus, the power struggle in hell that kicked off the events of the first season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I reckon that the guard captain with the blackened face is the real power behind the throne, and Charioce is just in too deep and is way too hooked on the promise Singeface has offered him to back out despite the fact that the people he's thrown his lot in with are clearly awful. Unless I'm mistaken, most of his serious dick moves have been when Singeface was nearby, haven't they? It would certainly explain the vast disconnect between Charioce and Chris, if he's only operating as a tyrant because someone else has him by the balls.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

That's an interesting theory, but it seems odd that Charioce would bother giving him orders to keep up appearances even when they were alone together.

I don't think it's just keeping up appearances - he is the king, and Singeface is a senior officer, just one with major leverage. That whole thing about the red dragon also felt like a test - if he'd said anything other than to kill Nina on sight, he would have landed himself in some seriously deep trouble.

In fact, I wonder if him 'showing Nina his plans' will involve betraying Singeface and teaming up with the (very surprised) heroes - that would explain that menacing smirk when he leaves the cave, as he psyches himself up to deliver some long-delayed justice. Of course, he could just be betraying Nina, with that necklace serving as a tracking device, but seducing the heroine with an apparently heartfelt love confession and then arranging her death with a smirk on your face seems like 'total irredeemable evil' territory, and way too much of the show has been signalling that we're supposed to be rooting for Nina to redeem him. They'd have to get themselves a whole new ED, for a start.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

Am I not supposed to consider a sustained campaign of oppression and planned genocide as "total irredeemable evil"?

I don't understand this entire thing, fundamentally, of casting a tragic, brooding pretty boy out of Fantasy Hitler. "I only regret slaughtering innocents by the millions because of you!" is romantic now I guess.

I think it's more that if this wasn't his idea in he first place, and if the reward he's been promised is sweet enough, he may have been tempted in until the sunk-cost fallacy made it impossible for him to pull out. Nina is offering him an escape route that lets him not do things he secretly regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

It doesn't work that way. Genocide and mass enslavement isn't something you can dip your toe into and slowly wade in.

The general vibe seems to be that he was trying to save the world, but the guys who offered him the ability to save the world seem to have turned out to be a bunch of total psychopaths, and he's having to keep them happy and sate their hideous appetites for cruelty in order to get his hands on their sweet, sweet world-saving tech, and he's justifying it to himself because (a) they'd murder him if he didn't, and (b) when you're trying to keep the whole planet alive, the upper limit on acceptable casualties is very high. Now Nina and the gang are presenting him with a less monstrous alternative, and he's readjusting poorly, because how can he even begin to justify genocide to himself if it wasn't for a good cause?

• Locked thread