Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Recently went on a date with this cute young lady off of OKC. Had been chatting for a while and I mentioned that I would be down in her neck of the woods Thursday, how about grabbing a drink and meeting in person? She enthusiastically agrees.

Fast forward to our date. She texted me to say she's stuck a little longer then planned at work due to an ongoing case. No worries, it happens. Asks if I would mind changing where we're gonna meet as it's closer to her and she's really in the mood for some vietnamese. No problem, I love vietnamese. I know the place so I head over there, grab a table, have a beer, read the news on my phone. Time passes, still no Megan, have another beer, time passes, still no Megan. I don't want to order without her, figure that's pretty rude, but I haven't eaten since lunch, and the last thing I want to do is get hangry on a date. I've got granola bars in the car so I figure i'll just scarf one down real quick in the parking lot. I tell the waitress I'll be right back, leave my beer and coat and get to the door. Blam, theres Megan.

Little awkwardness ensues: she asks if I'm leaving, apologizing for being late, I say oh no, just forgot something in my car I'll be right there and walk her over to where I grabbed a table and sit back down. She says don't you have to get something? I said, no, not really not that you're here. Her face kinda falls and she says you WERE leaving... No, I was just running out to grab something but it's not important, see my coat was here at the table, and I'd never leave a full beer, that's a sin. She laughs and says alright, I guess that's true.

So we order and are chatting while the food comes and she asks about what i did that day since I had it off. Mention I was looking for ski boots cause I just started skiing this past January and love it so might as well bite the bullet and get my own gear. She snowboards so so we chat about that, things are going well, she jokes about taking an impromptu vacation and flying to Whistler and boarding all day and hot tubbing all night all flirtatiously. Says work's been tough lately I could really use a break. I knew she was a social worker but ask her what been going on? Oh a whole rash of unpleasant cases in the school district of suspected child abuse...

Here's where I put my foot in it. I burst out laughing and when she looks horrified, I quickly explain that I just remembered a situation that happened with one of my younger brother that ended up with the principal of the school having a meeting with my folks and a social worker. My brother to this day loves making up nonsensical songs. That day in 4th grade while walking down the hall he was singing "Don't beat me mother, with that wet towel, oh please please Momma, don't beat me so bad" a la John Lee Hooker over and over. Teacher heard it, reported it, he got hauled in, my parents got called in, big to do, but quickly resolved that he had just been listening to tons of blues with my dad and improvising.

"That's not funny at all, I can't believe you think that's funny, I'm leaving. I don't want to hear from you ever" Up and out the door she went.

Stories about suspected child abuse, even with a funny happy ending, not good first date material. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

JFairfax posted:

lol you laughed when a woman was telling you about how she is really stressed from dealing with child abuse cases.

you were not listening to her, you were just waiting for your chance to speak with an amusing anecdote.

she did the right thing you dolt

Well I totally agree that it was the wrong story to share at the moment. It was however exactly because I was listening to her that I was reminded of this particular story.

I'm only proud of this in a "wow, that was really dumb of me" kind of way.

edit: I burst out laughing at the memory of my brother, something we can laugh at now, not her current situation. Obviously she had no way of knowing why, and the story clearly didn't ease her mind.

Smashurbanipal fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 10, 2017

• Locked thread