Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A lesser film would have delved into the idea that copies are always somehow worse than the original, but one reason why The Prestige owns is that the clone and the original are equals. The Bordens develop different tastes and characteristics which creates a nice little Jekyll & Hyde dynamic, but they are both still Borden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shanty posted:

Well the Borden boys aren't clones, though?

They very clearly are. Or am I missing a joke?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Ooooh gently caress. It never occurred to me that Tesla could have built the exact same machine before for Borden, and that his twin wasn't necessarily a birth twin. I assumed Tesla had done something else for them, just a stage show lights and effects thing, and the cloning machine Jackman got was a fluke invention.

I vaguely remember being unsure about it on my first viewing too, but it has become obvious on rewatches. The way they split up Borden's life is pretty great, with the wife noticing the not-so-subtle differences between the two. Borden's story is definitely told more subtly in the movie, as opposed to Angier and his ambition-fueled army of suicidal clones.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I guess I need to rewatch The Prestige again because I was sure the difference between the Bordens was a comment on man's inner struggle, which would be kinda dumb if they were just regular twins.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

They're not regular twins though, they've lived basically their entire lives as half a person, so in effect the theme your describing is conveyed through them, even if technically they aren't the same person.

That's a relief, but I still need to rewatch it to figure out how I could be so sure that Borden had used the machine.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

Borden absolutely did use the machine. Also during the second time loop there are actually three Michael Caines. Watch closely.

I was aware of the Bigger Caine theory, but I didn't notice the third one. Nice.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

The big part of the trick with the fish bowl is that the performer is able to keep up the old man act even when not on stage, etc. I think Borden follows him and sees him at home and realizes his dedication to the trick extends beyond the stage to his whole life.

Kind of like Borden/Fallons dedication to their disguise.

Might be that this is part of the reason for my confusion/simply forgetting about their being twins. Because here is a scene that fully explains how Borden and Fallon got their idea for the switcharoo, but they would have had to have started a lot earlier in order to fool people the way they did. I'm aware that twins have pretty close relations but it's described as "each of them living one half of the same life", you'd need to have a bit of practice for that.

Unless I am again forgetting something and Borden explicitly mentions that he was, like, five years old when he saw that guy.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shanty posted:

Borden doesn't have to follow the Chinese guy home to see through his trick (straight away, even, as Angier says), because he (they) have been doing the same thing their entire lives.

I think I outed myself as a dumbass through The Prestige.

• Locked thread