Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

vseslav.botkin posted:

The only thing that ever really bothered me about The Prestige is the very end, where we have that pan to the tank with Angiers in it with Caine's closing speech about how you want to be... fooled. I feel like it's set up as though we're supposed to be shocked by what we see, or that there's something missing in what we've seen that we didn't realize until now? I mean, they've just explained what's going on, and it's been obvious for a reasonably perceptive viewer ever since the new trick started.

I think this part is meant to mirror the bird trick at the start, where the kid sees through the illusion that there were two birds, and they killed one for the trick. For the trick to work it's magic, you have to blind yourself to the fact that the bird dies.

Similarly, at the end, they give very clear hints as to what's going on with Angier's trick. Either you don't catch on and his dead clones are the twist, or you catch on and you hope it isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread