Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm looking forward to being able to discuss the first episode with others. Non spoiler review: it's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was just going to ask when it might show up on amazon/starz (yay free trial) and apparently the answer is right the gently caress now. So, yay.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah guys, seriously, cut it out. (Though some people have been great, and all deserve a cookie.) I've been lenient because the show hasn't actually started, but once it does (i.e. after tonight) kindly shut the gently caress up and talk about what's actually in the episode.

This is literally never going to be a thing for a show with a built in fanbase, sorry to have to be the one to break the bad news.

Unsurprisingly, people will want to talk about comparisons. If the show is as big as GoT (it won't be) it can have two threads. Otherwise, saying 'Get back to the book thread' doesn't make sense - people want to talk about the show, not the books - and even if it did make sense it wouldn't happen because the book is > 10 years old and the show is new so this is where the people talking about it will be.

So, yeah. Asking people to spoiler tag things with wild abandon is probably a thing you can do. Saying "Literates, get thee out my thread!" is a neat idea but not a thing that will happen. :shrug:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's really funny, at the talk both Gaiman and Fuller were just spoiling the whole season, but I think they assumed everyone there had read the book at that point / what they were saying was incomprehensible to anyone that doesn't know what's going on.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've been surprised at how much they've leaned into talking about the premise in promotional material but I suppose that is the only way to make it sound interesting. "An ex-con goes on a roadtrip with an elderly con-man" isn't quite as good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"With panache"

Alright yeah this is good.

edit now that i've actually finished the first episode:

I've read the book, but it's been 10 (or more) years since then so there's a nice mix of "oh that looks perfect" and "i don't remember that, is that new?". I'm seriously looking forward to next week and hope it stays as awesome as the first one was.

And just a heads up: the next episode preview has some major spoilers, so avoid that if you're particularly spoiler adverse.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 30, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Welp, I'm in.

That first episode was incredible and so far the casting has been amazing.

Ian McShane is obviously absurd but Pablo Schreiber as Mad Sweeney worked so drat well it was kind of astonishing.

gently caress, why is there only one episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo this intro is the best I've seen since halt and catch fire

Edit: aaaahhhhhhhhh the eyes

precision fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 30, 2017

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
Gonna watch this on Amazon prime in the UK tomorrow, does anyone know if it's 4k or just regular HD?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pretty sure all Prime stuff is regular HD.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo first episode surpassed my expectations immediately. This sure is a Brian Fuller series and I mean that in the best possible way.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Having just come off from listening to the audio book in prep for the show I was really disappointed with almost everything about the entire episode.

Also the soundtrack loving SUCKS.

CaptainAssholay fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 30, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The soundtrack is awesome though?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
As someone who hasn't read the book, I thought it was great. Pretty much what I expected from a Fuller show. I have no idea what's going on though. :sun:

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I've read the book a couple times (and listened to the audiobook once) and love it. Ian McShane is perfect as Wednesday (despite him being very much not what I pictured when I first read the books). I like that Audrey was somehow more and less likeable here.

I'm not sure how I feel on the visuals. Everything seems too textured and muddy, Also holy bokeh, it's a little much at times.

Ragnarak
Jun 17, 2003

precision posted:

Pretty sure all Prime stuff is regular HD.

Bosch is in Ultra HD as well as normal HD.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

DentD posted:

I've read the book a couple times (and listened to the audiobook once) and love it. Ian McShane is perfect as Wednesday (despite him being very much not what I pictured when I first read the books). I like that Audrey was somehow more and less likeable here.

I'm not sure how I feel on the visuals. Everything seems too textured and muddy, Also holy bokeh, it's a little much at times.

Agreed on the McShane and Audrey fronts.

I quite like the visuals. Bryan Fuller always has such a unique visual style for each show which I think adds a lot to experience.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 30, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

All in all I really liked the first episode. Thought it ended at an odd point though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ok. That was....insteresting. A few things were changed from the book, but it was a fine thing to watch.
Also,they didn't shy away from that scene, THE scene :stare: I mean, I never thought I would see a man being eaten by a goddess vagina.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rangpur posted:

I'm getting kinda mixed messages from the promotional material I've seen but I'll watch anything with Ian McShane so

(it's me, the one who really liked Kings)

I routinely bring up Kings because goddamn it, it was too good for NBC. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My only issue is that they're taking things really slow. I had thought the first episode would have gotten us at least to the point of meeting Mr. Nansi. I'm not exactly complaining, but a couple things did feel like genuine filler (the fight with Mad Sweeney, if not his entire scene really).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first season is 8 episodes and only covers the first third of the book. They're also expanding some character bits like they'll be spending more time with Laura.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

All in all I really liked the first episode. Thought it ended at an odd point though.

Being familiar with Fuller, I was not at all surprised that it ended the way it did.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Audrey's performance was really fantastic and makes her a lot more interesting.

I agree it ended in an odd place - worked fine for me, but if I didn't know the source material I think I would be in 'WTF did I just watch?' mode, and maybe not in a good way.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The gently caress am I even watching right now

Max
Nov 30, 2002

A show that takes place in America.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The gently caress am I even watching right now

:catdrugs:

(A Bryan Fuller show)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

A Bryan Fuller show based on the second trippiest work that Neil Gaiman penned.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wore his contacts too long, probably.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just watched the episode again. The ending is where the show brings it home in terms of visuals I was expecting out of this collaboration.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

American Gods has been on the top of my "books I haven't gotten to yet" for a while. And I just dropped showtime for starz for this show. I fully expect to buy the book and read it by next week now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

my god Ian McShane is incredible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ian McShane is perfect and I really hope they use the (this is a super minor spoiler not some big book moment) night deposit robbery vignette, it was one of my favorite parts of the early book.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

precision posted:

My only issue is that they're taking things really slow. I had thought the first episode would have gotten us at least to the point of meeting Mr. Nansi. I'm not exactly complaining, but a couple things did feel like genuine filler (the fight with Mad Sweeney, if not his entire scene really).

Don't know if you've read the book but that sequence with Mad Sweeney is not actually filler.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

DentD posted:

I agree. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but... it seems like the cinematography was off?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

death by Hooah

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

Seriously? You couldn't wait more than 3 posts before immediately disregarding the OP and diving into 'can't wait and see what happens' book chat? This goes for everyone else doing it too, you suck.

Oh hey turns out I don't need a part of the book American Gods, which I have read to cringe. Thank you.

a kitten posted:

Wore his contacts too long, probably.

Even knowing what this is, I can't see it as anything other than a mean-mugging tiger shooting fire out of his jaw.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh man that was really great. Loved all of the absurd, 300-style blood...I think Fuller misses making Hannibal! :unsmith:

Ian McShane was great! What a fun role for him. The effects were a little cheesy at times, but it's Starz so I'm willing to forgive. :shrug:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by how relentlessly psychedelic that first episode was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Ian McShane saying swear words at me is worth whatever investment I make in this show. Loved episode 1, for what it's worth.